• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Basic sprinting

Phoenix-D

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2006
I see people using sprinting to travel way too much. You can't sprint all the way to the objective, so unless you'll have time to rest before enemy contact, sprinting right away is a bad idea.

Take Basovka, German side. If you sprint straight out, by the time you're in view of the trench line you're winded and must slooowly move forward while every Russian in the trench takes pot shots at you and arty drops on your head.

If you wait until the last ridge before the trenchline, THEN sprint, you'll get to the trenches in the same amount of time but the time you spend under fire will be much less. Do it right and you can even sprint through arty barrages- no chance of doing that if you're winded.

I usually run out of spawn until I'm about half exhausted. Then I walk until I'm almost where I want to be. Then I run to get into position. That way I feel like I'm going somewhere when I leave spawn but still have enough stamina for attack or evasion when I get near my final position.

It's better to walk out of spawn and have stamina when you need it than tire yourself out and get shot or naded because you don't have the stamina to evade.

Upvote 0
Right, I usually sprint only a short distance from spawn and then walk when I'm behind cover or in an area which is controlled by my team. Then I sprint from cover to cover.

And I have to disagree that sprinting from spawn is faster: If you do that, you'll be out of stamina when you reach the battle zone and have to lie prone behind cover to regain stamina. => You lost your flexibility and mobility when you need it most.

Upvote 0
maconha said:
what kills this game is the sprint speed.

should be much faster, just like wolfet.

my 1 cent

There's actually a server-side option to change the speed of the game -- never seen anyone use it though.

I'll usually try to sprint towards the first objective or cover point, and then regain my composure. Other than that, it's almost as if you need to sprint any time you're out in the open. Simply walking from one cover point to another will just get you killed.

Or you can always crawl.

Upvote 0
Centar said:
You should sprint 10-20 meters in the beginning though because you slowly regain stamina when moving. Therefore its good to never "max out" stamina if you're moving as you can make the most of it that way. It's a small difference, but sometimes it comes down to things like that.

Centar is right. You shouldn't "save" your sprinting you should "conserve" it. Never have full stamina and never be completely out (unless you are behind cover.) Also, say you are running between buildings. You should sprint while crossing a road or some other fire prone alley. You should regain your stamina while you have a building or some other cover (even if it is just a pile of rubble in the road) between you and the enemy position.

Upvote 0
I actually very rarely sprint. I like having full stamina so that I can stop any time I want and take a quick and accurate rifle shot in the standing position. I get many proned enemies that way because at long range, it's harder for them to hit a moving target than it is for me to hit them.

Upvote 0
I don't sprint in any location where I might bump into the enemy - nothing worse than meeting your nemesis with your weapon up across your chest. And it's a waste of time using sprint in crowded areas or going up stairs - you burn stamina without really getting anywhere faster.

Another good reason to mix jog and sprint - it makes it harder for a sniper to track your movement.

Upvote 0
Shadowman said:
There's actually a server-side option to change the speed of the game -- never seen anyone use it though.
I was in a game once that had it turned on. We were in Koitos but I don't remember the server. CIA/CoR maybe? It was pretty wierd.

Those are good points about sprinting from cover to cover. That's what I try to do whenever I'm near the battle zone. Sometimes it's hard to manage. I try to keep my stamina below my shoulders so I at least have some pep left for emergencies. I prefer it around my waist. That way I know I can go some distance if grenades or artillery starts dropping.

Upvote 0
real soldiers can sprint much longer than sprint times in any game i've seen (BF2, CoDuo, and RO)...but you obviously have to take game balance into account:

I would prefer a longer sprint (at least 50%), but balance it with a longer recovery time...it would also be nice to have a "dash" where you can sprint even faster for a very short burst (perhaps by double tapping the sprint key)...

I also love the dive feature in Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - i think this would work great in RO as you dive behind cover (slide feet first - backslide, or slide on your belly - dive).

Upvote 0
Gomer Pyle said:
I usually run out of spawn until I'm about half exhausted. Then I walk until I'm almost where I want to be. Then I run to get into position. That way I feel like I'm going somewhere when I leave spawn but still have enough stamina for attack or evasion when I get near my final position.

It's better to walk out of spawn and have stamina when you need it than tire yourself out and get shot or naded because you don't have the stamina to evade.
It is faster to sprint for a short time out of spawn, then while you're at a far enough distance, or still behind cover (like the Basovka example), walking to recover the stamina and then sprinting as you approach the enemy.

A favorite of mine is sprint out of spawn, then slow and fix bayonet. If you time it right, you'll have full stamina (or close to) again after the bayonet is on.

Sabot: You forgot Italians (at the least..) in your sig.

Upvote 0