• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenade Limit

I don't usually get blown up by grenades. I don't know why, maybe it is just how I play. I sneak around a lot and usually when I'm attacking someone they are not in the area where they will pull out a grenade. I like to attack them where they feel safe. Also some spots are grenade magnets that you need to avoid.

I think the best way to deal with the grenade problem is for the devs to make grenades easier to spot. First off the nades don't roll and bounce very well, they just stick to a stop. This can make them very difficult to spot and you might not notice it untill it is to late. Also you can't hear it land (there are some people with good sound cards that can but most people can't) A person is much more likely to run from a grenade when they hear the distinct sound of it landing beside of them. Another problem is that I've noticed is that grenades don't always draw on my computer. I've been blown up at the corner of buildings by grenades I couldn't see, I couldn't even see the explosion. So either the grenade blew up on the other side of the corner and went through the building to kill me or the grenade didn't register on my computer. If they made grenades easier to identify more people will avoid them and they won't be as big of a problem.

Upvote 0
Witzig said:
Well i usually see the Grenades that kill me.... not that it helps me... before i get to cover i'll get blown up...

Most of the Times the Grenades just land 20cm away from me... Man do i wish i would be able to pick them up or even just kick em away... oh well *g*

Yea i feel your pain if they just introduced some kind of a throw back or kick animation for those pesky nades that land on your foot it would be great, they could also discourage cooking by randomising fuse lenghts in order to make the feature usefull.

Upvote 0
Ron said:
Yea i feel your pain if they just introduced some kind of a throw back or kick animation for those pesky nades that land on your foot it would be great, they could also discourage cooking by randomising fuse lenghts in order to make the feature usefull.

Ah hell, one has to die now and than :), its not like i die 24/7 to Nades, its just that its a bit more like WTF? when the Grenade just lands 30cm in front of your Face, while having a Deployed MG *g*

Upvote 0
I think that defenders must have 2 grenade per soldier (not all classes allowed) , but limited amount , and attackers team have 1 grenade per soldier but unlimited grenades + some subclass , 1-2 for attackers team with 2 grenades.

Classes that spawn with grenades
Strelok/Rifleman
Avtomatchik/Submachinegunner ; subclass grenadier - attackers team. 2 grenades :)
Pulemetchik/Machinegunner ; maybe Russians only
Komandir/NCO ; althrough dont know about this
Tank/Vehicle ; Commander only. 2 grenades
PTDR Crew/Loader ; if that class will be added in game ;)
Classes that shouldnt spawn with grenades
PTRD Crew (shooter only), Sniper, and maybe sapper

Upvote 0
The only map I experiebced nade spam on is Kaukasus. Russians can throw nades into the german spawn from the start.
Nades are fine as they are.
From a realism standpoint, I've seen atleast a few pictures of Germans with 3-4 nades...
Russians started to move their lines as close as a grenade's throw towards the germans (once they saw how aircover worked for the Germans).
When they attackes they threw bags full of nades into the German lines.

Upvote 0
Hehehe, you all didn't play the mod seemingly, with their Mini-Nuke nades, which could be thrown halfway across a map :D

IMHO; the nades, and the amount (back in the mod, a soldier could carry two nades and loot additional two of the enemy) are pretty fine.

Only two things could use some improvement:

1) the kill radius with prone targets should be greatly decreased. Right now, It feels like your stance has no effect on the propability to be killed by nades.

2) "real" shrapnell: Would be server heavy, I know ;), but we can dream anyways, can't we?
Basically, I want every nade to have a very little blast radius, but spawning several bits of shrapnell, which would have a real flightpath and would ricochet off of objects and walls. This way, you could very effectively shield your mates (a shrapnell that hit you, is "out of combat"), there could be those lucky moments where you survived a close nade because no shrapnell hit you, and it would be more effective indoors than outside, as the shrapnell would bounce inside rooms, enlarging the chance of a lethal hit.

Upvote 0
It still boils down to how far you can throw the god damn things. In the mod you could throw them stupidly far at it was just mayhem. Now the distance has been decreased but its still to far imho. When i find myself pulling a nade instead of my rifle to remove a distant target as the grenade is a more accurate weapon something is wrong. For the lucky few who played the original beta ostfront (before it got patched to deal with leaked versions etc) the nade distance on that was perfect!!
You had actual firefights with entrenched enemys who were happy to work closely with team mates because they knew a nade wasnt goin to come flying from miles away with pin point accuarcy. The rifles/mgs/snipers where the weapon of choice and nades were pretty much just there for throwing in a door way or over the top of walls LIKE THEY SHOULD BE. My god that was some of the best game play ever.

Bring back original Nade throw distance from the 1st public ostfront beta.

Thanks ;)

Upvote 0
I really think the grenades could be thrown farther...

The problem with spamming grenades is that most soldiers don't live very long. Since you get two grenades per life and you might live less than a minute, you might as well use them before you die. Increasing the spawn times would require players to make more difficult choices on whether to use their grenades or not.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but it doesn't seem like they're going thirty meters in the game, which is odd. Maybe it's the wierd sense of scale on a computer monitor that makes it seem that way, but I miss the Hail Mary long-bomb grenade throws in the mod.

My biggest complaint, however, is the underhand throws. They used to come in really handy. Now the guy almost drops the grenade at his feet, resulting in an almost-certain suicide.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:
Yeah, but it doesn't seem like they're going thirty meters in the game, which is odd. Maybe it's the wierd sense of scale on a computer monitor that makes it seem that way, but I miss the Hail Mary long-bomb grenade throws in the mod.

My biggest complaint, however, is the underhand throws. They used to come in really handy. Now the guy almost drops the grenade at his feet, resulting in an almost-certain suicide.

A 2 or 3 meters underhand throw would be very handy and nice indeed. Alternate fire would be great to use it.

Upvote 0
[5.SS] Richter said:
There is far too much grenade spamming. I see all sorts of players running around the maps just ready to throw a grenade at anything. Most don't even bother with their gun. I think that grenades should be limited to 1 per rifleman and possibly assault troops but none for the rest. I'm sure tha this topic has been covered before, but it is one of the few aspects of the game which make it far less enjoyable.:(

Izzat a fact??? Maybe you would like to limit the ammo in a clip or the ammo for the PPSH or perhaps, limit things down to a point where you can hold a picnic in the middle of a battlefield?? :rolleyes:

Limit? NO !

Insert options in the program structure to set damage levels for weapons, initial amounts of ammo and quantities of vehicles in the .ini file for various items and loadouts in the game. YES!

Please, be careful of what you ask for. It can, if not implemented right, hobble the game forever. ;)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0