• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Koitos

Avenger said:
I can't understand why mappers would want to rebuild the old mod maps. Most were really nothing special, even in their heydey, and the improvements that Ostfront makes essentially makes them obsolete.

If I ever get the silly SDK to not nuke my copy of RO, I'll be making NEW maps, not porting old junk.
For the simple reason that they aren't bad maps and most players did consider them to be something special. If we didn't, we wouldn't want them back so badly. Koitos, Danzig, Jucha, they were popular maps for a reason. Not only that, they were extremely atmospheric and I'm happy that we're starting to see a few of them reappear.

I also played Nabruska on CiA/CoR the other day and I have to say, that maps plays so much better in Roost than it did in ROCA. I never really like it before, but it's only taken one game on it in Roost to convert me. I'm now a big fan of that map and it looks fantastic, even using older textures (I'm telling you, dirty, grittier, more realistic!). The changes in the game dynamic between 3.3 and ROO are what's done it.

I disagree that the gameplay changes have made these old maps obsolete. Imo it breathes new life into them, as even direct ports now play differently. Bring them on, I say.

Upvote 0
This is just a beta release...Bob will be finishing off a final within the next few days with all the bugs, hopefully, ironed out.

About it being a spray'n'pray map...bolts now have a chance against SMGs in cap zones, because they Cap Bar notifies of any enemies in the zap zone...so you won't get raped from behind while sniping from appts, or laying on the bed to hold radio, or waiting at the door in ammo...

All of the clipping problems with wood covering widows and invisible cracks in the concrete are gone...there is no feeling invincible behind that crack at the end of Ammo street.

There's no way all of you are content with the current map releases...new and better things are and should always be welcome. We also had a blast on Nabrushka II, which has EXCELLENT potential.

Cheers, carry on.

Upvote 0
kabex said:
I'll take ANYTHING that isn't retail maps. I'm tired of them, so custom/ported maps are a nice change.

Most of the retail maps are ports from the mod as well, which had me baffled completely when I first fired up the game.

There's just so much more you can do with the new and improved tanks. I'm hoping we'll see a lot more big combined arms maps in the future.

Upvote 0
SOme maps are loved/hated by some and vice/versa... I Enjoyed Koitos, it has something for everyone, and I cant wait to get a chance to play it one of these days in Ost.

Leaning alone probably added a whole new dimension to this map, let alone all the other stuff Ost brings to the table.

Pat on the back for the people willing to spend the time to port some of these old maps for RO:O, you simply cant have too many maps.

Shadehunter

Upvote 0
kabex said:
I'll take ANYTHING that isn't retail maps. I'm tired of them, so custom/ported maps are a nice change.

You GOT to be kidding. Custom maps I've seen lately only made me appreciate the original maps (sans Barashka, which I hate) even more!

I never played RO mod, and seeing all the mod veterans tell their stories of Koitos and how much fun they had there, I was sorely disappointed to see this map is amateurish take on "RO emulating COD (and badly)".

No tactical military sense whatsoever, the city does not look realistic etc. Map has the exact feel of any of "ruined French city" maps from COD (Villers Bocage, Caen, Carentan etc.), only in RO it does not suit the game at all. I'd take COD Villers Bocage for mindless team deathmatch devoid of any military sense or purpose, over Koitos, any time.

Frankly, and truely I cannot understand how any "true RO-er" can love this map, but maybe it's just me....

I'd take any of the masterpiece maps from the original release (12, Barashka excluded) before Koitos any time.

Having said that I do hope SDK will eventually produce maps on quality level comparable to "big 12".

Oleg

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
Frankly, and truely I cannot understand how any "true RO-er" can love this map, but maybe it's just me....

A question I have asked myself many times :rolleyes:

Well atleast now I don't have to whine too much since there are more servers with players to play on then it was in the MOD. Hopefully not all servers with people will play this map when I start up RO unlike how it was a lot of the time during the mod days

Upvote 0
radix said:
There were many high quality maps (official and custom) in the mod days wich deserve porting(adapted) to Ostfront.

Koitos was not one of them.

Where is this "Koitos" in real life anyway? Never heard of it. Is this map modelled after some real life place/real life battle as most other maps are?

It is represented as some fairly developed city in the game, not your average Ostfront Ukrainian village....

Upvote 0
There is another remake map out there that I have enjoyed. I never played the mod so I can't recall the name. The obj. are a park in the center and a radio on one side and factory ruins on the other. I played it twice and there was only about 10-12 people at the time. I'm not sure how it would be when full but it seemed like a nice map.

I also think that the classes problem with Koitos has been fixed. I could be wrong though.

Really glad to see the new map. A big thank you to those who are taking the time to produce these. :D

Upvote 0