• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
I think creating effective aimbots for RO is far more difficult than for your average arcade shooter. In CS it's just a matter of putting the center of the screen on top of the target. RO features too much "randomness" with gun sway, bullet drop and hip-shooting, where bullets hit where the barell points and very rarely center of screen. So props to TW for devising hat system :)

Upvote 0
[RO]Wilsonam said:
We use VAC (Valve Anti-Cheat), which is built in and administered by ourselves and Valve. So far, we haven't seen much sign of anyine cheating, wlthough we have been made aware of a number of attempts (caught by VAC and banned).

It is also something of deterrent, given that cheaters can have their Steam account blocked and therefore lose access to ALL their games :)

Good to know. Hit em where it hurts the most. Their Steam account :D

Upvote 0
I haven't seen any cheating in Ostfront yet... furthermore I haven't even been ACCUSED of cheating in Ostfront yet.

Since I've never cheated in an online game, but have been accused of using ever possible aimbot for just about every online shooter since Doom 2 via an IPX packet wrapper on a local BBS... I find this a refreshing change.

It could just be that I'm getting old and the ol' "Quake Reflexes" ain't what they used to be too :D

Anyway, I'm just a pubstar... I don't have time to play competativly anymore. It's hard to make a living playing Quake, though I did knock down a few grand the summer between Junior and Senior year in High School... :cool:

Upvote 0
Dheepan said:
Well I haven't seen any blatant cheating yet. However I've seen people who have used an exploit or two, mostly on Arad. Is changing the FOV considered cheating? I think people have figured out how to do that, and I don't think that will be picked up by VAC.

I would love the ability to slightly reduce the FOV, I have trouble seeing far away infantry as it is.

Upvote 0
Think I met a cheater once...

Think I met a cheater once...

I don't know if this was caused by a glitch or something, but to me it felt like this guy was cheating...

I was playing on Konigsplatz... was crawling around, looking for some russians to terminate. Found a couple, got the ironsight up on my STG and fired two three rounds... they fell to the ground like big bags of potatoes - they were dead, and I was pleased... Just after I spotted another russian coming close. He got in position behind a sandbag, his problem was, his back was facing me. I believed this surely was a simple matter... I took my time, got the ironsight up, had him in my sight... fired... but nothing. Fired several rounds... still NOTHING. I became desperate, and left my good spot to get even closer. I came closer, fired again... but still, NOTHING! Now I was getting frustrated, so I reloaded my STG, got up, ran up to him, was behind him... actually used ironsight again, and from POINT BLANK I didn't hit him!! Now, he finally heard me, turned around and gave ME the killshot!!

After this, I confronted him with the fact that I emptied two clips on him, and I asked him if he was cheating. He gave me no reply, and soon after left the server. I don't remember his name atm... don't wanna accuse anyone innocent by guessing either... Also, this wasn't lag. It was a low-ping server, and I had a low ping myself. I believe this guy was a cheater... hope there aren't many like him.

Upvote 0
He could have been lagging or having his own internet problems. He probably left soon after, because he timed out. Don't we so quick to suggest cheating. I know I've been lucky somtimes and survived grenade blasts and bullets, and when I don't kill someone with a nade I just say, damn that is one lucky/fast thinking guy, he is quite impressive rather than thinking "OMFG!!! HAXZOR!!! ADMIN ADMIN ADMIN BAN THAT HAXOR NOW!!!!! ADMIN!!!! BAN HIM!!!!" (I'm thinking of that counter strike animation video where the nerd keeps screaming at the admin to ban a guy, you know the video, the one where he goes to school and kills some people and himself.)

Upvote 0
Back Shooters!

Back Shooters!

I have been playing RO only a short time, a few months, and have not noticed anyone cheating but I have notice that there seems to be a lot of incidents where your own people blow you away. I was on one server and I was killed 7 times by some of the guys that were suppose to be on my side! I even caught one of them trying bayonet me, but I was able to shoot him.

This was a new experience for me coming from WWII which I have been playing for over three years. I am used to a squad based enviroment where teamwork is the order of the day. I like the RO very much and guess I will just have to put up with these types of players! Wish I didn't! It really takes away from the game play.

Chasf

Upvote 0
In my opinion RO will have a lot less cheating problems than other online-shooters. 1. (as said) the Hit system isnt that simple anymore and it takes more in RO than just hitting your enemy quickly-
2. the community is completly different... best examples are TKs (nobody has a real problem with it and rarely people start flaming etc. since it happens even to the best soldiers) and the point, that you dont even need to win to have a great time playing. Often I fight intense battles, which nearly get personal, but lose in the end duo a well placed nade or shot - am I disappointed? No, it was awesome!
I also watched that on servers: You often read comments like "Hey [name], nice fight!" or simply "nice shot/nade". People know that their enemy just did the right thing at the right time, and if you are the lucky one its even more rewarding. Many "lifes" in RO are basicly run'n'die, because you get shot on the way unexspected or simply die at the first encounter, but if you pull through a great action, helped clearing a cap zone successfully, see that people react to your commands as a officer or simply do a great shot: its just amazing.

I love RO! :D

Upvote 0
Witzig said:
Yeah i guess TKs are always a problem if FF is on, though i only encounter intentional TKs once a Month at most. The biggest problem is people not looking where they throw their Nades, or running into friendly Artillery.

Same here. TKs hasn't been a problem for me. I've seen it a couple of times. Damn annoying when it happens though.

Upvote 0