• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dev's forgot about a demo?

As had been stated many times, our priority is to our customers who have allready payed for the game and we are working with them in mind first. Now that the SDK is out, we are working on a new patch.

After that is ready we will most likely be in position to start working towards a demo again. Like always, we will keep the community updated on our status and what we are currently working on. So you WILL know when the demo is on the way.

Upvote 0
Well such a Weekly Update is a two-fold Sword, People tend to flame Companies if they can't bring out a Update every week, and if you do make it weekly some people will start Flame Wars just cause they don't like the Content of the Update :). And its also a bit of work, not a huge amount but the Information has to be checked for its sensitiveness, though i personally would like to see it, i also like the personal Approach TWI takes.

Upvote 0
Cordite said:
just a quick question: Have you guys(devs) considered posting a weekly update on the main page about what's goin on with the game? (kinda like the weekly steam updates) b/c this will probably answer questions that people may have about what's goin on...

Yes, this is almost essential imo. I dont think many of us care that you're late with updates, sdk releases, demo releases, etc. etc. but it does get annoying when we dont even know whats going on. For example, Id be willing to bet the patch thats due out "anytime soon" is delayed so why not just tell us now instead of leaving everyone in the dark?

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
Yes, this is almost essential imo. I dont think many of us care that you're late with updates, sdk releases, demo releases, etc. etc. but it does get annoying when we dont even know whats going on. For example, Id be willing to bet the patch thats due out "anytime soon" is delayed so why not just tell us now instead of leaving everyone in the dark?

Honestly if anyone came from the CoD community, they would realise that TW have the best communication with their community out there!!!

They are doing the right thing by concentrating on a patch to keep the customers happy, and imo a demo is much better than a free weekend, it means people can play it in their own time. A demo is a whole new project, many people seem to believe its easy to cobble together, but it takes planning and production time to create a polished demo.

Upvote 0
DirtyRat said:
imo a demo is much better than a free weekend, it means people can play it in their own time.

The demo has another advantage: it is smaller to download then a free weken fullversion. ALso, I think that for most gamers, a weekend is barely enough time to fall in love with RO.

But then, a free weekend means little to no wprk for TW on it, so they can spend more time on improving the game, and players can access all areas.

Upvote 0
The problem with the free weekend is that it's very easy to miss for a potential player. Harrdcore gamers without social life will surely not miss it, but casual gamers, or any other person who happens to have something other planned for that 2 days or just didn't hear about it will never have a chance to test RO without a demo.

The Unreal Tournament Onslaught demo available is the reason I originally bought UT2004 and therefore ultimately the reason I started playing RO. If there'd been a free wekend and I'd missed that I wouldn't be here :) I'm all for a demo including 1 map, that is compatible with the retail game, so there's alwasy people playing it. Just like UT.

IMHO a free weekend can only supplement a demo but cannot make it redundant.

Nuff said

Last edited:
Upvote 0
krylosz said:
The problem with the free weekend is that it's very easy to miss for a potential player. Harrdcore gamers without social life will surely not miss it, but casual gamers, or any other person who happens to have something other planned for that 2 days or just didn't hear about it will never have a chance to test RO without a demo.

The Unreal Tournament Onslaught demo available is the reason I originally bought UT2004 and therefore ultimately the reason I started playing RO. If there'd been a free wekend and I'd missed that I wouldn't be here :) I'm all for a demo including 1 map, that is compatible with the retail game, so there's alwasy people playing it. Just like UT.

IMHO a free weekend can only supplement a demo but cannot make it redundant.

Nuff said
I've told a bunch of people about ROost but if they are not typically into realism games (i.e. the excessive overkill crew,) I recommended that they wait for a demo before they buy it. Suffice to say they are still waiting.

In my opinion, demos work best if released prior to the full retail release. Few veteran RO players will setup or frequent demo servers to show the rookies the ropes. I'm not sure if it would be possible but if demo clients could connect to any server (so long as it was on the demo map) that may help a little.

A free weekend is nice. I did play DoD:S thttp://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/hat free weekend but it didn't convince me to buy it. But it is true that some people might be left out if this was the only option. Perhaps giving each steam account of choice of one weekend in the month of April would solve this dilemma.

Upvote 0