• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Modern Combat FPS

SnotRocket

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Georgia
Ok so I've always been big into modern combat first person shooters, but the only problem is that there are so few GOOD ones out there. I need a little more variety, loved Firearms for HL and BF2. Any suggestions other than Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter? Something not so much special ops/counter-terrorist gameplay. More like real war. Please no America's Army or INSmod.

SnotRocket said:
Ok so I've always been big into modern combat first person shooters, but the only problem is that there are so few GOOD ones out there. I need a little more variety, loved Firearms for HL and BF2. Any suggestions other than Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter? Something not so much special ops/counter-terrorist gameplay. More like real war. Please no America's Army or INSmod.

Operation Flashpoint, for example.
Allthough "Spec Ops vs Terrors", SWAT 4 is very good, especially since you only can get full score in SP without killing a single person.
Then there are games like "First to Fight" and "Shadow Ops", but these also gear more towards the "Spec ops" niche. And, as I heard them both are mediocre games at best, I never played them.

Allthough I'd like to know why not GRAW? I find to have a great time playing it, because it is very hard to beat even on "normal" difficulty. Very unlike other games, where it seems that the developers want to get rid of frustrating moments, but only manage to get rid of challenging moments, which then makes games, very ironically, frustratingly boring ;)

Upvote 0
Project Reality Minimod for BF2 is pretty decent. The problem is finding a server without the AAS mod that makes the game totally unplayable (it's a capture-in-order mod... works well for RO:O because of carefully chosen spawns, etc. Works horribly for BF2.)

@ rattus: I tried the SWAT 4 demo, though it was fun, but not enough to buy the game. I loved using nothing but a LTL shotgun, Taser and flashbangs. I thought it was hilarious to whoop the hostage-takers without killing any of them... Some of those guys were tough, though. They'd take 3 beanbags before they'd seem like they were ready to surrender... Of course, I didn't exactly give them much CHANCE between bags. :p

Upvote 0
I still play Joint Operations every once in a while. It's a little arcadey, but less than BF2 imo (2-3 shots kill and .50 cals are instakill). Graphics are still okay (apart from some 1st person weapon models). Up to 100+ players per server btw, but even on the 64 player servers you get a really good "war-feeling". You can get the "JO: Combined Arms" (coincidence? lol) package which includes the pretty good addon (adds tanks and helis and new guns&goodies) for 17 bucks at amazon, so it's a good deal still. I hope they'll make a sequel someday...

Insurgency sound good too, but I don't have HL2. The Desert Combat team is currently working on a new tactical shooter which will be on UE3.0. But it seems to have fantasy weapons instead of real ones which is a big minus for me...

Upvote 0
KrazyKraut said:
Insurgency sound good too, but I don't have HL2.
Shame on you! :eek:

You'll miss mods like Resistance & Liberation, Flanders Fields, Insurgency, Black Mesa: Source, etc... :eek:
KrazyKraut said:
The Desert Combat team is currently working on a new tactical shooter which will be on UE3.0. But it seems to have fantasy weapons instead of real ones which is a big minus for me...
Yep, I saw the trailer, and made me cry.

Upvote 0
SgtH3nry3 said:

You'll miss mods like Resistance & Liberation, Flanders Fields, Insurgency, Black Mesa: Source, etc... :eek:Yep, I saw the trailer, and made me cry.

OMFG!! I looked up those mods you mentioned, because I hadn't heard of black mesa source and some others. Holy monkey fetish, GIVE ME BM:S NOW! :D

Thank you good sir. I present to you this cookie.

*cookie*

Upvote 0
SgtH3nry3 said:

You'll miss mods like Resistance & Liberation, Flanders Fields, Insurgency, Black Mesa: Source, etc... :eek:Yep, I saw the trailer, and made me cry.
I know I'm a freak, I must be the only person in the world who never even played HL2. To be honest I don't even think HL1 is that much of a milestone people tend to make it.

I'll wait for those mods to come out and maybe I'll pick up my copy then, it'll probably be about 10€ by then.

Upvote 0
KrazyKraut said:
I know I'm a freak, I must be the only person in the world who never even played HL2. To be honest I don't even think HL1 is that much of a milestone people tend to make it.

I'll wait for those mods to come out and maybe I'll pick up my copy then, it'll probably be about 10€ by then.
I found HL1 to be revolutionary for the shooter segment, as it was the first game that I can recall that actually tried to tell it's story on the fly, while all previous shooters had levels filled with enemies, and the story was only told in between the missions.

I also liked HL2 very much, as it took that concept one step further (allthough, IMHO, the best narrative fps nowadays is Condemned). What I also liked about HL2 was it's graphics. Many complained about them being "dull", but I liked them, because they used all the new shader techniques very subtle and stylish, while other games, like doom3, farcry and fear had the "look at me sexy shaders" syndrome, with greatly overdone bump and normal mapping etc.

Upvote 0
HL1 was "good" to me but not revolutionary. I actually liked Unreal more at that time, it was more atmospheric to me. As for the story telling, when you've played games like Metal Gear Solid before HL you're actually not that impressed. Ah well, it boils down to I didn't like the alien world levels of HL with their freaky aliens and jump and run sequences, the first half of the game with the soldiers and specops was much better.

Upvote 0