• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Internet Tax in Denmark

scuba22 said:
Americas great disgrace, can spend half a trillion a year on the military and its adventures, yet have tens of millions with no health insurance whatsoever.

Need national healthcare in this country in the worst possible way.
You said it. I guess since it's refered to as the "health industry" rather than "heath service" their primary goal of making money is a smashing success. I guess if everyone could get medical attention without fear of financial destruction you'd have a whole lot of heathy people on your hands and what good is that? The poor Drug co's & all the other med supply co's would have to sell to the gov at reasonable prices and they wouldn't make billions anymore,..so sad *tear*.

Upvote 0
{YBBS}Sage said:
He said:

Quietus said:
It makes me sad when I hear of other countrys in Europe (or anywhere else) succumbing to Americas foolish shortsighted & selfish (IMO) ways.

I'm an American, this sounds like he's blaming America for the fees even though we have nothing like it.
Im in the US too, but I STILL dont see it. Seems more like hes saying our government is being short-sighted, by focusing on short term gains, instead of also looking to future needs.

Upvote 0
Donut said:
We do that in the US, where a portion of our hard earned money(taxes) goes to welfare.
Sounds like youd rather "lord" your wealth over people, rather than just making ends meet, buy a few USEFUL luxury items(PC, TV, stereo, ect), put a sizeable portion of usabele income aside for future(retirement)/emergency use, and use whats left over to help others get to where you are(buying food/clothes, ect, for those that cant afford them.
Only if they shared your attitude about what to do with their money.

I got myself to where I am and everybody else is welcome to do the same. If I choose to help others, and I often do, it will be when and how I decide through private, not government mandated, charity.

If I do not want my money going to protect pedophile preists, house crack addicts or support an artist who wants to smear elephant manure on a portriat and call it art then I will not contribute to such organizations. If I choose to support groups that work to feed and clother children, provide disaster relief, assist the blind or other such noble endeavours then I will give my money to them.

The bottom line is it is MY wealth and I should be able to decide what to do with it. If I choose to be a total SOB and sit on it that is my right. Of course if you look at the history of America you will see coutnles examples of how those evil rich white men who "exploited the capatalist system" proceeded to donate far more both personally and corprately than any government could ever do EFFECTIVELY.

I just think all charity should be voluntarily given, not robbed from my paycheck under threat of imprisonment and used for programs that have absolutely nothing to do with what our, the American, government was authorized to fund at its founding.

Upvote 0
dktekno said:
And here we get the very grotesque part:

In Denmark we have something named Tax Stop. That means no more taxes.

This is what the Minister of Culture, Brian Mikkelsen said in August 2005:

The government itself made the Tax Stop. And the government themselves applaud Brian Mikkelsen and ignore their very own rules they promised the citizens.

Your government is taxing you so it can pay for the for all the services it provides. If the fine people of Denmark want lower taxes they need to make due with fewer government programs.

Upvote 0
Quietus said:
You said it. I guess since it's refered to as the "health industry" rather than "heath service" their primary goal of making money is a smashing success. I guess if everyone could get medical attention without fear of financial destruction you'd have a whole lot of heathy people on your hands and what good is that? The poor Drug co's & all the other med supply co's would have to sell to the gov at reasonable prices and they wouldn't make billions anymore,..so sad *tear*.

Yeah - I say we should tax the health care services into oblivion - we need to make very sure that they dont have budgets to develop anymore drugs or medical procedures to save anyone's life.

If that doesnt work - we'll turn health care over to the government - they are so great at running things. Just look what great services they provide now! Yahoo!

Upvote 0
Musketeer said:
I just think all charity should be voluntarily given, not robbed from my paycheck under threat of imprisonment and used for programs that have absolutely nothing to do with what our, the American, government was authorized to fund at its founding.
Interesting. I know this thread is about Denmark, but somehting I've been talking a lot about recently is how spiradic the British government's funding is. The fire brigade, ambulances and coastguard are all funded by the goverment, and they save many many lives, but yet the Lifeboat Rescue and the air-ambulances (helicopters) aren't.

If we go down the route of the goverment not funding charities or charitable work, then we go back to when the fire brigade only saved your life if you'd paid them and had a plaque to proove it on your house.

Upvote 0
MrBunsy said:
If we go down the route of the goverment not funding charities or charitable work, then we go back to when the fire brigade only saved your life if you'd paid them and had a plaque to proove it on your house.

I understand what you are saying here but think there may be some confusion as to what I am saying. I cannot attest to the laws in the UK or Denmark but in the USA the entire puropse of the government is to "PROVIDE for the common defense and PROMOTE the public good."

Provide means they must do this. An army comes under this heading, as does national intelligence agencies and other items directly related to defending the nation from agressors.

Promote means to assist, aid or act so as to help bring about. The government is supposed to act so as to best help the general public but in the end is not responsible for results. At some point PROMOTOING turns into HINDERRING, like when taxes and inflation as a result of tax and spend policies begin to hurt the public good.

I have no problem with public support of some items like major road projects, fire services, National Disaster rescue services and all that they entail. Any person may be subjected to an earthquake, wildfire, tornado or hurricane. Houses may catch fire, automotive accidents happen and at the time the emergency is going on we cannot be funmbling around saying "who can pay and who cannot." At that point some reasonable taxes are understood. Take the level of urgency one level down though. People who, in the USA, elect NOT to have health insurance for example. Many people actually do decide this, taking a head in the sand approach. If they drop in the street they WILL be taken to a hospital and WILL be treated. I, the taxpayer, must pay for this. After that their own insurance should kick in and even if they have NONE in the USA they still get helped out with MY money. They may not get the best docotors, all are certified though, and there may be limits to the care they can get but they get care even with no money. If you want better care, just like if you want better housing, it is up to you to find a way to pay for it. You can either get your own insurance or pay out of pocket, your choice. Now mind you, a person with money in the bank, no insurance, and a major health problem is going to get wiped out, but then they chose not to pay for insurance now.

I have seen it first hand with my deadbeat father in law who never took responsiblity for a single action his entire life. The guy is an albatros around our neck. He had an artificial heart valve put in at 66 and did not EVER pay one dime to an insurance company or a doctor. MY taxes coverred that, then he complains about the cost of his cumanin medication when he can even get that subsidized if he got off his ass and filled out the papers...

He lives in a condo now that his sister bought for him, he pays the basic upkeep from his monthly social security check. Mind you he paid hardly anything into the system having been off the books much of his life and not having saved much, still the American taxpayer keeps his carcass paid for. He had an appartment lined up through a Catholic Charity where they based his rent on only 1/3 of his monthly income. I give credit to the church and that charity for the elderly because they do it with funds voluntarily given to them. (Perfect example of voluntary charity). His sister felt bad that it was too small so she bought the condo. That is her choice for charity and I refuse to help. As it is I am going to have to pay to bury his dead beat corpse one day since every bit of money he gets he blows. Why should he not as either a chrity, family member or government has jumped in to save his ass every day of his adult life? Part of me looks forward to being rid of him but then I am going to have to take money out of my home equity line to plant his corpse in the ground!

My wife as a child needless to say depended on assistance. I am not going to begrudge assistance to a child but why am I paying for a fully grown man who never took care of himself or his dependents?

Back to where this part of the thread started. I see no problem with government paying for emergency services. I think that certainly comes under the heading of PROMOTE without seriously hinderring the public. Anything though beyond emergency aid for adults and aid until an adult for children I oppose at every turn. People at some point need to learn to be responsible for themselves or they turn into my father in law.

Upvote 0
Six_Ten said:
Why do they charge the tax on your television? In the United States the major companies pay fees to purchase a license to broadcast, then they charge advertisers to run commercials, who in turn build the costs of advertising into their products and services. So Americans pay the fees too, but indirectly.

Because its public, comercial free television. The system you talk about is also found in Denmark, but since you have to pay the license just to watch the tellie, no channel is really free.

Upvote 0
Musketeer said:
People who, in the USA, elect NOT to have health insurance for example. Many people actually do decide this, taking a head in the sand approach.

Now mind you, a person with money in the bank, no insurance, and a major health problem is going to get wiped out, but then they chose not to pay for insurance now.

Do you honestly think there is a large group of people that can afford health insurance, and choose not to? Get real. Yes i'm sure there are a few morons who choose not to, but the overwhelming majority without insurance simply cannot afford it. Period. My roommate Rick and his girlfriend both dont have insurance because they simply cannot afford the extra $400 a month for medical insurance.

As for your second statement, you fail to take into account people who CANT get medical insurance due to a specific medical condition. And what are these people to do? They are forced to sell their houses, cars, and lives simply to try to stay alive.

There is something wrong here.

Upvote 0
scuba22 said:
Do you honestly think there is a large group of people that can afford health insurance, and choose not to? Get real. Yes i'm sure there are a few morons who choose not to, but the overwhelming majority without insurance simply cannot afford it. Period. My roommate Rick and his girlfriend both dont have insurance because they simply cannot afford the extra $400 a month for medical insurance.

As for your second statement, you fail to take into account people who CANT get medical insurance due to a specific medical condition. And what are these people to do? They are forced to sell their houses, cars, and lives simply to try to stay alive.

Seconded

Upvote 0
scuba22 said:

Like the gas prices lately? Wanna see 'em hit $6/gallon? Gas prices are near that in European countries that have universal health programs... not because the GAS is more expensive, but because the government is taxing that much more than ours to pay for it.

No matter who provides it, you have to pay for it.

I'm one of those people who could afford it, but choose not to...

Upvote 0
{YBBS}Sage said:
Like the gas prices lately? Wanna see 'em hit $6/gallon? Gas prices are near that in European countries that have universal health programs... not because the GAS is more expensive, but because the government is taxing that much more than ours to pay for it.

No matter who provides it, you have to pay for it.

I'm one of those people who could afford it, but choose not to...

So? the major problem in the US, the way i see it, is that your taxes seem rather unbalanced and at times unfair, your system seem very strange to me..

Here, taxes are universal, and our wages are measured with the taxes in mind, so unless you are neck deep in debt its no problem, it all balances out.

We have some silly taxes, true, like thouse on gas and cars, thouse really should be reevaluated.. but for the most part it all pans out.

And again, the numbers are against us, lets take a hospital as an example:

US Hospital: you have a hospital in a city with a population of 8 mill people or perhabs more, could be as much as 20 mill, any equipment and medicine they need to run is easilly paid for with a clint base like that, woulden't you say?

Danish Hospital: sitting in a city with a pop of only 1 million (Copenhagen, as big as it gets in Denmark), or maybe measured in thousands instead (Hiller

Upvote 0