• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Entrenching tool

con20or

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2006
Ireland
I just saw something in a Infantry tactics PDF for release 3.0 that some one posted int the tactics section. In it it refers to an "entrenching tool" I presumne thats not still in the game? Would be cool though if you could franticaly dig your self a shallow scrape to hide in.

con20or said:
I just saw something in a Infantry tactics PDF for release 3.0 that some one posted int the tactics section. In it it refers to an "entrenching tool" I presumne thats not still in the game? Would be cool though if you could franticaly dig your self a shallow scrape to hide in.

I'm guessing you've never had to dig a slit trench or a foxhole.

Let's put it this way, the maps aren't long enough to allow you to finish.

War is hours of tedium punctuated by brief moments of complete terror.

Upvote 0
It doesn't take too long to dig a ditch where you can cover most of your body while lying down. It's definitely doable within the time frame of a single battle.

Not that I would want anything like that in the game. First of all, changing the countryside would probably eat a lot of CPU power and, well, it would take long enough for very few people to actually use it. So why waste time and effort coding something like this into the game?

Upvote 0
i dont want a shovel to dig foxholes with... ive dug foxholes, and it takes a lot of time to do it right... or to figure out how to ;)
i would never use it... instant foxholes would suck ass, 15 min digtime would suck ass too.
besides... no one ever digs a foxhole during combat. its a pre-battle activity to ensure you have a good firing position wich the enemy will have trouble with to spot.
i think the russian on kauk looking down hill would laugh his ass off seeing all the little germans digging their holes, lie down in them and then shoot them all and just kick the mud back in XD

no foxholes:)

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
Just wait for Unreal Engine 3.0, then call an arty strike where you want your foxhole to be, and you will have enough foxholes for your entire team after the smoke clears.
Seriously? Does UE3 have completely destructable terrain and deformation physics? Completely dynamic enviroments?

I'm not buying it, at least, I haven't seen it in UT2007 but then again the UE guys always add a lot of features that will never be used in UT, because of the mass licensing of the engine.

That would be the next step in realism, I think.

Upvote 0