• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So the Tank system isn't broken? A case study Tiger vs T34/76

For those that missed it.
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
No tank shell should ever richochet off of a BA, there isn't even deflection code for the BA, as its armor is too weak to deflect tank shells. With that said, we've recently discovered some bugs with the tank shell/AT Rifle/Panzerfaust projectile penetration system. Essentially it seems that the internal component damage part of the system isn't working properly due to a bug. We'll definitely have this fixed in the next patch.
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104832&postcount=16

Upvote 0
ViViD said:
Yes with bloody tungsten rounds, which were rare as rocking horse poo, damn, you can almost eliminate these figures as norm as each AT gun was given 2 rounds ever per campaign.

Seriously do your research, I even give you a nice website and a story about a Russian AT Gun team using the ZIS-3, http://www.iremember.ru/artillerymen/monyushko/monyushko2.htm I won't be going through this again on the forums to educate people.

As for the tests they were reproduced 5 times, with exactly 3 rounds to kill, the rounds landed turret mantlet or upper hull. The test was not to state how many hits, but the fact penetrations did happen, also there was no richoets by any rounds at 90 degrees

You're aware that the current penetration System is bugged ?

Upvote 0
DraKon2k said:
What also makes me angry, when I angled the Tiger, a IS2 will still destroy me if he just shoots at the same spot long enough, which is BS. Even if the Shell won't bounce off, there are still 18cm of high-quality armour which can't be penetrated by 122mm(according to the tigerfibel).
Yea right 122 can penetrate any armor this is a very big BIG BIG round :D 25 kg armour-piercing BR-471 (Russian БР-471) projectile with muzzle velocity 800 m/s. It was able to penetrate the armour of all German World War II AFVs with rare exception (only JagdPanzers, JagdTiger, and Elefant were strong enough to resist BR-471). But BR-471 had high kinetic energy and it often damaged heavily armoured German vehicles without armour penetration by mechanical shock, causing engine or gearbox failures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One thing of note you are putting 1944 technology against 1942 technology, the JS-2 were not really in battle till mid 1944 and even then in limited numbers, by this time the soviet were winning the war, if you want to play equals it was the Elephant, or Jagd-Panther or King Tiger against the JS-2, you really need to put the technology in the correct time slot.

Its like putting the Pershings against PIVH's yeah PIVH's were on the battlefield and pershings did make it in limited numbers at the end of the war.

But you are matching up the wrong technology. I think I would prefer to see 1 JS-2 per map with a number of T34/85 against a platoon of panthers and maybe a elephant, or some late model stugs, this would me a much more realistic battle environment 1944.

Upvote 0
CCCP said:
Yea right 122 can penetrate any armor this is a very big BIG BIG round :D 25 kg armour-piercing BR-471 (Russian БР-471) projectile with muzzle velocity 800 m/s. It was able to penetrate the armour of all German World War II AFVs with rare exception (only JagdPanzers, JagdTiger, and Elefant were strong enough to resist BR-471). But BR-471 had high kinetic energy and it often damaged heavily armoured German vehicles without armour penetration by mechanical shock, causing engine or gearbox failures.
Tiger II, Jagdtiger, Elefant and an angled Tiger I can all take a hit from a D-25 T. The 88mm KwK43 L71 is still superior in AP ability.

Upvote 0
Theodrake said:
Search for "Steel Panthers: World at War", old but free (http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/sp_waw.htm)

There are others, but hey this one is free and has lots of continuing support.

Yeah and the tank system is sort of flawed in it, as it takes no tim for tanks to rotate turret, which eliminates the speed element in T34 or Sherman vs. Tiger.

Upvote 0
MkH^ said:
I also have presented multiple questions regarding the ****ed up cumulative damage system, but nothing has been answered regarding that.

First off, the "takes x number of hits to destroy" concept currently used is completely faulty to begin with! Either the first shot penetrates and kills everyone or destroys the vehicle, or it doesn't, which is either caused by the gun not being capable of penetrating the armor, or the crew getting really lucky. There is no such thing as "overall armor" or "hitpoints".

Apart from those hits, the tank may be immobilized or otherwise made combat ineffective by the hit.

It's not as if the armor wears out a little after each hit, indicated by yellow or red status to the crew members, until there's just one thin strip of it left, and only then does the gun actually penetrate, nor does the enemy tank crew load each grenade with slightly more powerful propulsion charge until it penetrates.

It was not infrequent at all for World War II tanks to be penetrated multiple times without being knocked out. The rounds used during WWII were generally solid AP shot. That is steel literally pushing through steel with the hope that if it makes it through to the other side, something vital will be hit. These were not HEAT rounds that send a jet of molten, superheated metal into the interior of the vehicle, nor are they modern SABOT round that strike with incredible amounts of energy, producing very nasty back side effects.

That every tank in the game "explodes" before it is destroyed is in itself a fallacy. It did not take detonation of the ammo load to knock out a tank. Often, just the shock of a penetrating shot would be enough to cause the crew to bail, leaving a perfectly serviceable tank empty on the battlefield (and causing tankers to put extra shells into any "dead" tanks they passed, just in case).

Mutiple penetrations without catastrophic damage were not at all unlikely. Usually the crew was the weakest point in the equation, either being prone to wounding from spalling (bit of metal flying around in the interior), to the trauma of seeing another crew member violently killed or to just succumbing to the shock and fear of being brutally hit repeatedly.

A large number, if not the majority, of knocked out tanks could be recovered and repaired.

The frequency of catastrophic damage in this game is not at all realistic, but is in keeping with the need for satisfying FPS "FX" and the avoidance of frustration for not being awarded ainstant visual gratification for your successful shots.

That being said, there is not a lot of motivation for a crew to bail from a tank in game (as already pointed out, even fire has no effect on crew functionality), so this does skew the observed results more to the unrealistic side, and there is certainly the framework in place for a more realistic system. Anything that moves the game towards invalidating the need for a tank "health" indicator would be good. All damage should be apparent through feedback given to the player. If tank looses a track, the driver will know. If the engine is knocked out, it will no longer function. If the tank burns, it should start to fill with smoke and injure the crew, etc.

I would reference Combat Mission and WWIIOnline for accurate penetration and damage modelling. In both, tanks are often knocked out without catastrophic damage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
akd said:
It was not infrequent at all for World War II tanks to be penetrated multiple times without being knocked out. The rounds used during WWII were generally solid AP shot. That is steel literally pushing through steel with the hope that if it makes it through to the other side, something vital will be hit. These were not HEAT rounds that send a jet of molten, superheated metal into the interior of the vehicle, nor are they modern SABOT round that strike with incredible amounts of energy, producing very nasty back side effects.

That every tank in the game "explodes" before it is destroyed is in itself a fallacy. It did not take detonation of the ammo load to knock out a tank. Often, just the shock of a penetrating shot would be enough to cause the crew to bail, leaving a perfectly serviceable tank empty on the battlefield (and causing tankers to put extra shells into any "dead" tanks they passed, just in case).

Mutiple penetrations without catastrophic damage were not at all unlikely. Usually the crew was the weakest point in the equation, either being prone to wounding from spalling (bit of metal flying around in the interior), to the trauma of seeing another crew member violently killed or to just succumbing to the shock and fear of being brutally hit repeatedly.

A large number, if not the majority, of knocked out tanks could be recovered and repaired.

The frequency of catastrophic damage in this game is not at all realistic, but is in keeping with the need for satisfying FPS "FX" and the avoidance of frustration for not being awarded ainstant visual gratification for your successful shots.

That being said, there is not a lot of motivation for a crew to bail from a tank in game (as already pointed out, even fire has no effect on crew functionality), so this does skew the observed results more to the unrealistic side, and there is certainly the framework in place for a more realistic system. Anything that moves the game towards invalidating the need for a tank "health" indicator would be good. All damage should be apparent through feedback given to the player. If tank looses a track, the driver will know. If the engine is knocked out, it will no longer function. If the tank burns, it should start to fill with smoke and injure the crew, etc.

I would reference Combat Mission and WWIIOnline for accurate penetration and damage modelling. In both, tanks are often knocked out without catastrophic damage.

This is a trade off. This game also kills you even though the wound itself is not lethal. Out of combat is out of combat...

And about the tank rounds. Before I did some recent research I also thought the same thing. But a lot of WWII tank rounds also have/had an explosive charge, even though it was only a small one. It was big enough to kill the crew and take out the tank.
Many russian tanks used soft/blunt rounds which curve the impact of the round. The soft outer edge flipped over the round and the hardened inner core penetrated the target.

Also SABOT was used during WWII.

Another thing is that tracks can be damaged and so can the engine, which both stop the tank from moving. In-game that is. It happened to me several times sofar.

Upvote 0
Rrralphster said:
This is a trade off. This game also kills you even though the wound itself is not lethal. Out of combat is out of combat...

And about the tank rounds. Before I did some recent research I also thought the same thing. But a lot of WWII tank rounds also have/had an explosive charge, even though it was only a small one. It was big enough to kill the crew and take out the tank.
Many russian tanks used soft/blunt rounds which curve the impact of the round. The soft outer edge flipped over the round and the hardened inner core penetrated the target.

Also SABOT was used during WWII.

Another thing is that tracks can be damaged and so can the engine, which both stop the tank from moving. In-game that is. It happened to me several times sofar.

Yes, some had HE, but not all. The more effective composite and sub-caliber rounds lacked HE charges. They relied on penetration alone.

http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=10&id=44&Itemid=64&lang=en

Here is an image of a T-34 with multiple penetrations that is still relatively intact.

http://www.battlefield.ru/destroyed/ussr/t34_11.jpg

And another image of a T-34 with multiple penetrations, but here the ammunition detonated.

http://www.battlefield.ru/destroyed/ussr/t34_12.jpg

Also, the effects of a modern SABOT round are not comparable to those developed before and during the war.

Last edited:
Upvote 0