• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Phsyx Card

Mar 20, 2006
I did a search for this and couldnt find any results, so if this has been discussed before, i apologize in advance.

"the first and only dedicated phsysics processor designed for a new breed of next gen PC games"

For those of you who arent familiar with Physx technology:

http://www.ageia.com/physx/

check out the video here:

http://www.ageia.com/physx_in_action/footage_physx.html

This is so awesome. I cant wait to get one of these bad boys. Im pretty sure these physics will be supported by unreal engine 3, so we should be seeing some amazing things in future releases of RO

Last edited:
Onion said:
That first video is made of win and gold. Dynamic liquid physics, thousands of physics objects *glee*

Ninja Edit: Seems they come out tommrow too, time to get the 500 dollars they cost together. Hmm if I whore myself out to fifty fat chicks for 10$ a piece... :p

Froogle has them online for < $300 by various manufacters (incluing BFG Tech)

Upvote 0
The card looks like a nifty peice of new tech.

Havok on the other hand is doing something similar but with a card you might allready have. For those that don't know Havok is working with Nvidia and ATI to create a Physics system for video cards that have PS 3 on them, to off load physics calculations to them.

Upvote 0
breadtruck said:
Interesting article.

I'd just spotted these for sale at novatech.co.uk They look intriguing, but at the moment (except in Cell Factor) the card seems to simply power fancier and more realistic graphics rather than gameplay affecting physics.

I'll certainly watch and see what happens, but I seriously doubt I'll even consider buying one in the near future.

Upvote 0
Here is a link to my thoughts on the subject...http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?p=83551#post83551

I've been following the Physx developments for about a year and a half now, because I think it will be a defining moment in gaming (once all the inevitable kinks are worked out, and games are coded to fully utilize it). Dell is already shipping models out with the card installed, so mainstream is right around the corner!

Upvote 0
Not gonna buy into these cards yet. At the moment all it seems to be used for is chucking a load of boxes around in game, and watching debris fly everywhere. Ill come back when theres more interesting uses being devised for the card, like real time destructible environments, bullet ballistics and penetration being calculated on the fly, or extremly detailed damage models for in game assets like players and vehicles. Imagine being able to stop a vehicle in a game with a single well placed shot through the engine block which is actually calculated as doing damage to a specific part of the engine and shows you the results? Instead of just saying "You shot the hitbox assigned to the engine, so the car has stopped", the radiator is destroyed so the engine siezes or a fuel line is hit and the engine blows up.

Hopefully not only will these cards allow for such simulation levels of detail in games but maybe simulations themselves will be transformed. Think of the flight sims that could be created if the developer had an entire card that could be devoted entirely to the flight dynamics part of the engine.

Awesome. Let me know when that happens, I'll reapply :D

Upvote 0
Conscript said:
Not gonna buy into these cards yet. At the moment all it seems to be used for is chucking a load of boxes around in game, and watching debris fly everywhere. Ill come back when theres more interesting uses being devised for the card, like real time destructible environments, bullet ballistics and penetration being calculated on the fly, or extremly detailed damage models for in game assets like players and vehicles. Imagine being able to stop a vehicle in a game with a single well placed shot through the engine block which is actually calculated as doing damage to a specific part of the engine and shows you the results? Instead of just saying "You shot the hitbox assigned to the engine, so the car has stopped", the radiator is destroyed so the engine siezes or a fuel line is hit and the engine blows up.

Hopefully not only will these cards allow for such simulation levels of detail in games but maybe simulations themselves will be transformed. Think of the flight sims that could be created if the developer had an entire card that could be devoted entirely to the flight dynamics part of the engine.

Oh those games aren't that far away, probably just a few months.

Upvote 0
Conscript said:

I wonder if that would work for somthing like the armor system for RO's tanks, because i saw that it supports realtime metal bending physics. Imagine how good tankfights could be, we could finally blow off tracks, instead of a hitbox thing like conscript said.
I saw a demo video for cell factor, and it had dynamic fluids in it, bleeding would no longer be just a texture anymore :)

Upvote 0
Conscript said:

Eh, I don't think most game developers are going to take the time to figure out how an engine works, or what all the little parts do (there are a lot, believe me.) They'd still wind up simplifying and saying "this area is a radiator, this area is the oil pan, this area is the carburetor" or whatever parts they feel like learning about.

I would like to see someone dive behind a masonry wall to see it get cut down with MG fire, rifle-caliber bullets having the chance to go through houses completely (as long as they don't hit every 2X4 in every wall, or plumbing, and as long as it's not brick... a rifle will shoot clean through a house, no prob)... and on and on...

Upvote 0
Plus, the physics have to be coded into the game. Meaning, this Uber-leet video card WONT make your games act differently. Look better, yes, add things that arent coded into the game, no. Basically, if you dont have games that would take advantage of this card, dont bother with it.

Upvote 0
Poro said:
You should remember that UE 3.0 is not far away. It uses PhysX and it HAS fully destructible enviroments. How many developers use Unreal Engine 3.0? Many! It may not be very useful for now but it will be must like 2-4 months. I might buy this chip. I have been looking forward to this looong time.
Don't forget that Reality Engine, Gamebryo 2.0, Dagor engines are also fitted with NovodeX now.

Even Illusion Softworks which first bought Meqon, now bought NovodeX and PhysX, so maybe the newe Hiddden & Dangerous 3, Mafia 2, etc will have PhysX tech aswell! :eek:
It's true! http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/press.jsp?id=1147177728174

Btw, there are 70 or 80 known Unreal Engine 3.0 licenses out there. (Of which 30 announced titles like SWAT 5, America's Army, Turok, UT2007, etc)
Another 15 Reality Engine titles (including CellFactor and 1944 D-Day), and loose games like Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Bet on Soldier: Blood Sport, City of Villians, Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends and Gunship Apocalypse, Loki, Sacred 2, Alpha Prime, Arena Online, Crazy Machines 2, Dogtag, Eye of the Storm, Fallen Earth, Infernal, KARMA, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Warhammer Online, and so on and so on...

Still kickass IS now has NovodeX! :D

Upvote 0