• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam automatically updated now game freezes on load

MaryKate&Ashley said:
Ok, here's the fix that I got to work. Everyone that I know that has this problem also had the SDK installed. Go to the C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[yoursteamaccountname]\red orchestra folder, backup anything in there that you may want to save, for example your screenshots folder, demos folder, and you might want to save your system folder. You can probably also just leave those folders alone and it will work... then delete everything else. Most of those files and folders were created by the SDK. After that, and this also may not be necessary, but I backed up and deleted the two redorchestrasdk.gcf files that are in the SteamApps folder. Of course this means you won't be able to use the SDK, but I decided playing the game was more important. After that, restart steam and launch the game and everything should work. If not, you'll have to take it up with Tripwire and/or Steam. Good luck,

MKA
That fix worked for me. But I also had to delete the system folder also. I did shut down steam as told to in another post but I still got the blue screen. I restarted and then launched up RO and the game ran fine now. Thanks.

I was looking to get rid of the editor anyway since I only used it a few times to listen to the sounds of the game. Takes up alotta space also.

Upvote 0
Ike said:
I had the same problem, had the SDK beta installed and followed the directions and it worked the first time. Let me summarize what I got from about three posts and put it in one place:

(1) Reboot after a lock-up then exit from Steam
(2) Copy your "user.ini" and "RedOrchestra.ini" files from C://(whatever)/Steam/SteamApps/(username)/RedOrchestra/system; don't leave them in that directory. I copied them to a file in My Documents that I named "RO Backups".
(3) Go back to the RO directory in SteamApps and delete everything in the RO directory, but by "select all" then "delete", don't delete the directory.
(4) Re-boot your computer again.
(5) Check your shortcut on your desktop to be sure there's no extra wording in the shortcut's Properties.
(6) Start the game using your desktop shortcut. You will see that the display is wrong, but that's okay. Try to join a server. If you succeed, exit RO and then go on.
(7) Copy your "RedOrchestra.ini" and "user.ini" files back into the system folder in the RO game folder. You will find those folders there, even though you just deleted all from the "RO" folder.
(8) Start RO again using the shortcut. It should be back to what it was, maybe even a bit better.

Works for me too!
But now i can't use the sdk, right?
And the files .sdk under steam apps?
I can delete them?
Anyway i wait another better release of the sdk develop my mapper dreams....
Bye
Totola

Upvote 0
ombas said:
my little temp fix...

copy ro folder to another location
redo your roed shortcut to reflect copied location
backup ini files in ro dir
del ro dir
start ro
exit ro
copy in backed up ini files
play ro as normal
use roed from new location
i'm new to ued so i don't know how to extensively test it without the steam installation, but it appears to run fine outside of the steam directory tree and you save your editor work

This fix worked for me as well. Now I can continue to play RO AND improve my lack of mapping skills. Essentially, you can use the SDK outside of Steam, which is where the error lies.

Upvote 0
Ok, now i got 2 "installations":
1) the Steam original one after the fix of Ike for play the game
2) the other is only a copy of red orchestra folder "corrupted", and i can launch the editor from there (only tried a bit, not sure for complete functionality)
My answer is: the editor don't needs any of the .sdk files under steam apps folder (now into the original "game" installation)?
Bye
Totola

Upvote 0
Rex said:
this fix did NOT work for me, so I completely wiped RO and SDK from my system, rebooted, did a fresh download of RO, and when I start it up from steam i get the same exact problem: BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

any suggestions?
Sounds like you have a different problem then. Did you try deleting the RO prefetching file? I did that when I had that kind of error before and it worked. There's a thread that talks about that fix.

Here I found the thread:
link

Upvote 0
Yeah, it sounds like Rex is having a different problem. And for people that still want to use the SDK, as others have mentioned, it should be possible. When you launch the SDK from with in Steam the first time, it extracts all the SDK files into your Red Orchestra folder. After this has happened, you don't want to launch the editor from steam anymore, you want to launch those extracted files directly. So, instead of deleting the extracted files, you can try copying them to a different directory and running the UED from it's new home. Then delete the original RO directory and let RO recreate it the first time you launch the game. (Again, save copies of any of your .ini files, screenshots, demos, etc... that you want before deleting.) I can't guarantee the success of any of this, because I obviously decided the SDK at this point isn't worth the hassle. Good luck.

Upvote 0
You can still use sdk if....

You can still use sdk if....

To use the sdk follow these steps:

1.Install both RO and RO-SDK.
2.Copy the whole RO folder (not sure if you need it all but lets be safe) to anywhere except steam folders.
3.Once you moved that file go into system directory (in moved file) and make a shorcut for ROeD and place on desktop.
4.The sdk should work now. Just follow the above methods and fix the infinity connection glitch.

Upvote 0
Game Freezes at start up since Steams last update

Game Freezes at start up since Steams last update

Just thought I would add my name to the growing list of players prevented from playing RO online by this bug.

I hadnt played RO in a few days, yesterday when I started Steam up, it downloaded an update, since this update RO now freezes at start up.

I have been playing RO: OST 41-45 since it was first released without problem, whatever was in Steams last update must be the cause....

I also have the RO SDK loaded on my PC, and definately do not want do delete this as I am working on a mod.

Deleting the SDK is not what I would call a fix! (sorry for sounding so negative, I'm as mad as hell, so please forgive me).

Upvote 0
Rrralphster said:
I'm not entirely sure if all these people experience the same problem. But I have the feeling it's not the SDK.
For me the problem showed up after the Steam update. I fooled around with the SDK and I could still play the game.
Fooled around....? did you make a fresh playable level and open it in the game to playtest it (ie spawns , objectives, bots etc) or did you only open the editor, make a few things, then close it and go back to playing online. For me I made part of my level, played some more online RO OK,went back to the editor, put spawns etc in and playtested it in a practice match. then when I went to play online agian the game hanged at the connecting (IP address)/index.rom screen.

I installed the 1001 patch via the public release (not beta download) as soon as it came out, and have had absolutely no problems connecting before or after the patch. I didnt play online for 2 days over the last weekend cause I was bashing out my level, it was a big surprise that it didnt work. There have been a couple of minor bugs while playing, like the scope bug, but thats another thread.

Im going to try installing the SDK into a completely different location and see if that works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This game never ceases to amaze me in coming up with surprising new errors. So far my favorite is a funky matrix like skybox thingy that appears instead of the connecting screen. I'm even able to spin it around with the mouse like I were sitting in its bottom. Here it is:

mbox19ux.jpg

mbox20vc.jpg

Upvote 0
you guys know what "beta" stands for right?
then frecking stop whining!
if you dont want to put in a bit of extra effort stay away from ANYTHING marked as beta.

aaaanyway for all the people that do know what a beta is all about, here is a way to fix the problem this thread was originaly about.
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7231

you can have both the editor and the game at the same time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0