• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Another tanking whine

Arsenal said:
I would like to see a change in the game where if you change from driver to gunner etc then it takes a reasonable amont of time to move from one position to the other.

I for one would not.

Since most tank drivers are of the single tank variety, all this would do is to make tanks almost useless as a battle implement.

It would make the PAK soldats rulers of the tank maps and ruin gameplay for me.

Just my opinion.

If any major changes are made to gameplay like that, I would hope that the developers would thoroughly test this online before commiting too it.

Upvote 0
BoltActionJackson said:
There is definitely no way to prove this. Do you have some kind of stat sheet or crystal ball? I play alot of ROOST and most single tankers are far from how you claim to be. In fact I usually find that they are either happy to work as a crew or act exactly as described by the original poster. IMO, for the most part those who insist on solo tanking ruin the armor/ca maps. I would love to see a much longer time limit on switching positions in tanks. Even better would be for this to be an option that could be set by server admins.

Well if you doubt me then go online and select one of the two available (well known) Tank Map only servers and play it for a few hours.

That is the only way you will know what I am talking about.

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
Soon enough, you greedy egomaniac, soon enough that will happen and you'll be left sucking your thumb...

Um, No sweetcheeks I don't think so. Do you have a link to some information the rest of us do not have?

I think the developers are smart enough to realize that if they change tank access they will ruin gameplay. I think they will leave it like it is personally.

We will see.

Upvote 0
We're in a current situation where for the most part, both solo and team tankers are able to play on the same server.

Soon as you alienate the solo tankers by adding all these features to attempt to force them into team tanking, they're going to leave.

I can't wait to see a 24 player server empty out to about 6 people per side because the rest of them don't appriciate being forced into a tank with somebody else to follow somebody elses orders on how to play and what to do.

Upvote 0
Like I said, I'm not in favor of forcing it on anyone -- I like to solo and team tank, depending on the situation.

Today on Konigsplatz, there were two guys arguing for at least 5 minutes of a map on team chat:

guy1: Move already, I'm the gunner!

guy2: No, I'm the gunner, you're in the cannon

guy1: Well I'm not gonna be stuck driving just so you can get in the gunner.

guy2: I'm already in the gunner!

and so forth.... Like they were rehearsing an Abbot and Costello routine while their tank just sat in spawn with no driver.

Upvote 0
gonzman said:
We're in a current situation where for the most part, both solo and team tankers are able to play on the same server.

Soon as you alienate the solo tankers by adding all these features to attempt to force them into team tanking, they're going to leave.

I can't wait to see a 24 player server empty out to about 6 people per side because the rest of them don't appriciate being forced into a tank with somebody else to follow somebody elses orders on how to play and what to do.

Exactly!

If a wait-time (or worse) change is made, all Tank-Map servers will dissapear overnight and we will go back to being basically infantry-only like RO Mod version.

I also do not see what all the fuss is about. On the tank servers I play on, single tankers and fulll crew tankers get along just fine for the most part.

I still think that full-tank-crew guys are making 1% of the population out to be 100%. That's just not the case. At leas not on the servers I play on.

Upvote 0
gonzman said:

But you see the problem is solo tankers dont have enough of a disadvantage presently in order to encourage them to do otherwise i would defiantly team tank more if there were more advantages but presently its only really advisable to team tank on ca maps, also man there's an awfull lot of people on these forums who would say otherwise to bringing in a delay just because you seem to have little patience with other players doesnt mean others are the same.

Upvote 0
GonzoX said:
I still think that full-tank-crew guys are making 1% of the population out to be 100%. That's just not the case. At leas not on the servers I play on.

You talk of playing on TWO tank only servers(which I have), yet others are making 1% out to be 100%? The biggest problem with solo tanking is that I constantly see tankers being left to wait in spawn for way too long. This is completely selfish and spoils the fun. The maps released so far all have plenty of tanks so adding more is just not a good fix, imo.

Again, I think the time switching from positions should be an option for server admins. That way we will have servers for both preferences.

Upvote 0
i would like to see the crew climbing into/ out of their tanks animated into the game just for sake of realism...

I dont really have any problem with the situation there is now, usually on every server I play I can find someone to tank with

and with me having (TT) next to my name, when i find someone with the same next to their name it even better

but there are times that i have to go solo, and i honestly dont mind it

I feel that a server with all tanks being used (as long as they still work together, at least to some degree) is still an effective strategy to accomplish goals and win the battle

Back to my first statment, I just want to see tank crews being animated into their tanks, for realism purposes, once theyre in their tanks, i think switching from driver to gunner should be the same

because there are situations where everyone might have to go solo, but seeing tankers hoping all over the place while getting in and out of tanks is pretty annoying

as for those annoy 10-year-olds, however old they might be... face it, they are in every multi-player game, and we'll all just have to find ways around them

in the end thats really the only solution so will work for everyone

Upvote 0
Ron said:
But you see the problem is solo tankers dont have enough of a disadvantage presently in order to encourage them to do otherwise i would defiantly team tank more if there were more advantages but presently its only really advisable to team tank on ca maps, also man there's an awfull lot of people on these forums who would say otherwise to bringing in a delay just because you seem to have little patience with other players doesnt mean others are the same.

Well therein lies the problem.

You can't "force" encouragement. You will only ruin the gameplay as it is now and drive away good single tankers wind up being left with the 10 year olds that you dread the most.

Upvote 0
BoltActionJackson said:
You talk of playing on TWO tank only servers(which I have), yet others are making 1% out to be 100%? The biggest problem with solo tanking is that I constantly see tankers being left to wait in spawn for way too long. This is completely selfish and spoils the fun. The maps released so far all have plenty of tanks so adding more is just not a good fix, imo.

Again, I think the time switching from positions should be an option for server admins. That way we will have servers for both preferences.

Are you sure that you are on the Tank Map Only servers?

Because I do not see this problem but maybe 10% of the time. And when that happens I simply switch roles. No big deal.

If one tank server is full I go to the other one. I have yet to see both tank servers alll full with 30+ people.

Upvote 0
GonzoX said:
Well therein lies the problem.

You can't "force" encouragement. You will only ruin the gameplay as it is now and drive away good single tankers wind up being left with the 10 year olds that you dread the most.

Maybe, maybe not i'd still like to have a delay as a server option btw there isnt that many idiot tankers generally my experiences when team tanking have been for the most part positive or at least passable. Also i think another fact we have forgot to mention is that the actually damage system isnt working properly presently so when teamtankers do outmanuver solo tankers and shoot them up the rear they dont get an instant kill and this gives your solo tanker time to turn the turret and maybe knock out the tank, and of course the two shot dead thing doesnt help things either.

Upvote 0
GonzoX said:
I for one would not.

Since most tank drivers are of the single tank variety, all this would do is to make tanks almost useless as a battle implement.

It would make the PAK soldats rulers of the tank maps and ruin gameplay for me.

Just my opinion.

If any major changes are made to gameplay like that, I would hope that the developers would thoroughly test this online before commiting too it.

IMO it would have tanks fully crewed all the time as an end result. Less tanks, more infantry.. more of a combined arms feel. This idea is not designed to make solo-tanking harder.. it is to make it impossible. Lone Wolf tanks ruin atmosphere in a 'realistic' WW2 game for alot of us and goes against what, in our minds, RO has always been about.

Not soure how better crewed and fewer in number tanks would make being a PAK easier... :p

Lets face it, we have several map scenarios where we have 8+ tanks roaring around and maybe 2 - 4 infantry of any type... not a realistic dispersment of troops. So the end result would be, for me, a more realistic feel in battle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Arsenal said:
IMO it would have tanks fully crewed all the time as an end result. Less tanks, more infantry.. more of a combined arms feel. This idea is not designed to make solo-tanking harder.. it is to make it impossible. Lone Wolf tanks ruin atmosphere in a 'realistic' WW2 game for alot of us and goes against what, in our minds, RO has always been about.

Not soure how better crewed and fewer in number tanks would make being a PAK easier... :p

Lets face it, we have several map scenarios where we have 8+ tanks roaring around and maybe 2 - 4 infantry of any type... not a realistic dispersment of troops. So the end result would be, for me, a more realistic feel in battle.

Simple, You would have less tanks and a crapload more Panzerfausting Soldats.

Any surviving Tank-Map-Only servers would become "PazerfaustFest" Servers.
Hey I just invented a new word. :D

What's next, Panzerfausting in near zero gravity in an old UT2004 map?? Oh wait, that's already been done. :rolleyes:

All in all I think that all this would wind up doing is causing more resentment between the lucky tankers and the fend for yourself infantry. But that's just me.

Upvote 0
Wow.. way to see it in a rediculous extreme... you simply lower the available PAK slots..

My suggestion was meant to lead to more realistic squad composition... where the hell do you get zero gravity hahahahahaha

As for resentment of the 'lucky' tankers.. again.. hahahahaha

If you resent someone for getting a class you make like in a game, it is time to pursue other hobbies.

Upvote 0
Arsenal said:
Wow.. way to see it in a rediculous extreme... you simply lower the available PAK slots..

My suggestion was meant to lead to more realistic squad composition... where the hell do you get zero gravity hahahahahaha

As for resentment of the 'lucky' tankers.. again.. hahahahaha

If you resent someone for getting a class you make like in a game, it is time to pursue other hobbies.

Well I was trying to be funny and make a point at the same time.

My point is that if you take away from one group to appease another, you create animosity. It's inevitable.

You can't please everybody so the smart thing for the developers to do is simply leave it as is and concentrate on bigger maps.

Honestly, what's next. First there will be less tanks. Then you will have to lower the amount of pak guys and paks on maps. Then what? Do you have to limited "this" and "that" until all we have left is bolt action and bayonet fights?

Yeah I know, Some of you here would just love that. :rolleyes:

In the end it doesn't really matter what I or you think. We can argue about this for weeks and doesn't mean a thing. The developers will either leave it the same or implement what they think is fair, ballanced and realistic. I trust they will do the right thing.

As for me, I will continue to counter this undeserved reputation against single tankers. We are the silent majority actually. But like all things diplomatic, the squeeky wheel tends gets the oil. And I have a few quarts of oil myself.

Upvote 0