• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics how do i use an anti-tank rifle?

Bit unre lated but:

Does anyone remeber the first CoD game? The mission in Pavlovs house. You had to defend against ridiculous amounts of panzers, more than 5 if i remember correctly. The anti-tank rifle used was semi-automatic i can't even remeber having to reload the thing. Was this some belt fed version of the PTRS (looks much cooler why didn't they include this in RO!). Seeing as the PTRD is relitavely effective against tanks, think of what you could do with a semi-auto version!
I can imagine ripping through Panthers with ease. Infantry hunting would also be fun with a semi automatic.

Upvote 0
Howard GB said:
This is a small quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14.5mm_PTRS-41, the very bottom of the article talks about the PTRS's use as a sniper rifle during the Korean War (PTRDs and PTRSs are essentially the same but the PTRS is a semi-automatic, 5 round clip-fed rifle). The North Koreans would crawl within 600 metres of a target (usually an officer of some sort) and then blow them apart, this was nicknamed 'elephant sniping' due to it's ridiculously powerful effect upon a human being.

i do that all the time in game..i love it..i also love blowing peoples heads clean off point blank with the thing.

Upvote 0
I was on Hedgehog once and a German saw me fire while on the road embankment, I crawled back and started to reload when he jumped up and ran at me with the butt of his rifle. He was about 1 second run away when a PTRD shell hit him in the chest, the rest of my team (who were behind me moving in on an objective) all let out a chorus of "oohs" and "ahs" over the mics when he was obliterated and the red cloud hung in the air. Good times, good times.

On another ocasion a similar thing happened but I was hit by the shell of a Pz4, I exploded but the shell saved the KV-1 he was actually aiming at and then he proceeded to kill the attacking Panzer. This made me feel all fuzzy inside knowing I saved him and got him a kill.

Upvote 0
If you aim directly side on at a pz3/stug3, at the ammo location you'll one hit kill consistantly (check the data sheets to see where the ammo is located). The last 4 shots I fired against tanks in a server just now.. all resulted in a single shot kill. Failing an ideal side ammo shot you can typically plink away the health by hitting any location. Often best to aim at the turret since it's typically at a better angle than the hull. You won't one hit kill the heavy tanks, but apparently in this game even the Panther can (eventually) be killed by the PTRD. Even if you fail to get a kill you may well force the tank into retreating. And since many tankers like to turn around to retreat.. it leaves you in the perfect position for a rear shot, which will often one shot kill a pz3/stug.

And remember to conceal yourself well. As I said earlier in the thread that's the real key. You have a dozen or so bullets, so you can afford to set up in a decent position. No need to get close either, even long distance shots seem perfectly able at penetrating tanks. So pick a remote location that's easy to hide in and wait for decent shots. If you get in a good position you can be a real pain in the arse to any tanks. And relocate when the enemy has probably located you. Don't risk yourself trying to take out a tank on tank maps, stay put and wait for decent shot. It will pay off more in the long run.

Upvote 0
Ahh yes, I remember one of the first times i was using this gun. I didnt even know which tanks were mine and which were kraut. So I held my fire and got killed a lot, so I learned fast.

I remember however, I was lieing in a field, looking for kraut tanks to pop from the side, and i saw a lone soldier WAY off in the distance running toward my side of the map. So I figured this guy was probably a german. I lead him quite a bit, and fired off a shot, not really expecting to hit. I was more bored than anything.

*poof*...

O_O; I checked the killboard, and what do you know!
"Holy shnikes!"

Upvote 0
So far my experience with the anti-tank rifle has been quite positive. I agree with most previous posts, however i have seen instances that contradict popular opinion, enough to make start to doubt these opinions now. For example, I have always laboured under the idea of diminishing performance over distance until very recently. Traditionally, I've always waited till I'm up close to attack armor, but lately I have been getting far more kills at hundreds of meters distance, and not just APC or STUG kills either. Tanks of all grades. Maybe its just a combination of luck and increased skill with practice, but it is common enough for me to start doubting the power reduction over range theory.

As for using for infantry, "on paper" one would think it's great for such a purpose, but the accuracy at greater distances IMHO leaves it only suitable for vehicles at extended range., and I did have a recent instance of close range use that went logically awry! On Arad, I took a position at the foot of the bride near north village as a Panzer rumbled by over head. I hit it several times in the rear, eventually destroying it. I stood up to move to a new position and noticed that a crewman must have escaped pre-blast, as he moved from behind the burning tank, trying to hose me down with his SMG. His magazine ran empty, and I dropped while he was reloading, deployed the bipod, aimed and fired , hitting him squarely on the chest near the heart, saw the blood fly. He then dropped prone, fired once and capped me instead:eek: !!!! This has lead me to believe that maybe the anti-tank rifle may not be the best choice for dropping grunts! LOL! Just my rambling two-cents worth!

Upvote 0
The Soviet AT rifle is my favorite infantry weapon. I have been able to kill Pz IVs with turret flank hits, but tonight I had a very hard time trying to knock out a short barrel IV at point-blank range. I do not know if I killed it---I think he caught a round from a tank. To my horror I saw a Pz III approaching. I was desperate so I tried to go under the kaput IV. I could! I aimed my AT rifle at the Pz III and killed it with one shot to the hull flank---talk about stealth! A StuG III pulled up by the dead IV and I shot him in the flank and blew him up. too. By this time I was feeling pretty good, but I missed another tank fast approaching while I was out of my cover---caught a burst---dead. From now on I'm going to look for dead tanks which are not burning to use as a sniping position. :D :D :D :D :D

Upvote 0