• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG reload /change barrel sequence

Piron

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Belgium
I tend to play a lot of mg recently, and one thing that bothers me a bit is the complexity of how reloading and barrel changing works at the moment.

Basicly when I set up my mg, I try to make sure I've got some kind of protection (sandbags, wall, debris,...) very close to me. I start firing, run out of rounds, and now most people I guess would simply reload the mg and start firing again. But, I've found out the hard way, that being exposed like that with no way to retaliate, is the most vulnerable time for a mg'er. You're simply a sitting duck. So what I tend to do is dive behind cover and reload and change my barrel there. But while in cover, I have to get back in iron sights again, because whatever movement you do, you get kicked out of iron sights. Once this is done, I pop up again to fire another belt. I'm sure, in real life, that when your crouched or laying on the ground without moving, that you can change a belt or barrel without looking through the sites first.

So my suggestion would be: set up mg, go into iron sights, fire, empty, duck (kicks you out of iron sights), reload while not moving, stand up again, set up mg, go into iron sights...... It would eliminate one step in an already complex procedure.

Thank you.

(I did a search on 'mg reloading', but couldnt find anything similar)

What i think would be pretty good is if it was like this (excuse the lame paint picture :p)

untitled7jb.jpg

so say you are in is, then press crouch you will crouch down but be still deployed then you can reload or change the barrel then release crouch and you will go back to your normal is view. Just an idea though

Upvote 0
Dav1d said:
What i think would be pretty good is if it was like this (excuse the lame paint picture :p)

so say you are in is, then press crouch you will crouch down but be still deployed then you can reload or change the barrel then release crouch and you will go back to your normal is view. Just an idea though

That would be fine, and would already be included if the DEVs get the MG centered Animations to work (we currently got a MG that rotates around the Player).

iirc it was mentioned that they got it animated but there were problems with the implementation, i guess if they earned enough money we may see it as a free Update in the future. Than the MGs would work like the static placed MGs in CoD:UO while being deployed.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
It is impossible to do these things and keep your sight picture.....
Aargh! Maybe its a bit too complex to explain this text wise, but thats not what I want.

OK, a new try. This is how it is now:

Setup mg bringing up iron sites, fire, run out of ammo, duck (this autokicks you out of iron sights), bring iron sites up again, reload, stand (this once again kicks you out of iron sights), setup mg bringing iron sites up.

Its the step in bold thats bothering me. I have my mg next to me. Why do I need to look down the sites first before I can reload it, only to start an animation sequence that puts the mg next to me again. Thats one key too much for an already overly complex situation.

Upvote 0
And the dudes naked.
Maybe he had too much Jager?:rolleyes:

ANyways, I am really satisfied with the MG in RO, and yes reloading is a dangerous manouver every time. But wasnt it in real time as well?

I had times when infantry covered me while i had MG at odessa, and I could really make an impact, that was one great piece of teamwork

Upvote 0
Dude, it's OBVUSSLEEY a Russian who just downed a bottle of Vodka, time warped to the future to steal the ass-end of an M249, went BACK to WWII and lost his clothes in the time warp, grabbed an MG42, and combined it with the M249 parts. OBVUSSLEEY! GAWD!

Anyway, I agree. I also think that MG's should be able to go 'low-profile' or 'sighted' with the mouse wheel, in the same manner that tankers switch PoVs.

For low-profile, think about the MG being deployed and in a firing position, but instead of being head-up behind the gun and sighting your head is tucked down near the shoulder stock, so you have a more obscured view but only a small bit of your helmet is above the profile of the gun. Of course, you trade accuracy for the added protection as you're no longer sighting, but that's what tracers are for, isn't it? :)

Upvote 0