• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank Loader

tag

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 4, 2006
This was touched upon in the AT gun thread and I just wanna expand it to tanks. You should have to load to the guns! I'd do it!

I think it would be interesting if it was a challenge to do quickly. Then instead of just waiting (zzz) for that round to go from red to white the commander would exclaim "HURRY HE'S GONNA SHOT" and the loader would have to really haul ass. Maybe it would require pointing and clicking on rounds and the breech to move the process along with some button mashing to simulate "work". Then it would really make a difference having a good loader.

I guess if you don't have enough people in the tank for a loader then it should default to a slower time, but the loader could really speed it up.

Probably a stupid idea but just something I'd like to try.

tag said:
This was touched upon in the AT gun thread and I just wanna expand it to tanks. You should have to load to the guns! I'd do it!

I think it would be interesting if it was a challenge to do quickly. Then instead of just waiting (zzz) for that round to go from red to white the commander would exclaim "HURRY HE'S GONNA SHOT" and the loader would have to really haul ass. Maybe it would require pointing and clicking on rounds and the breech to move the process along with some button mashing to simulate "work". Then it would really make a difference having a good loader.

I guess if you don't have enough people in the tank for a loader then it should default to a slower time, but the loader could really speed it up.

Probably a stupid idea but just something I'd like to try.

HAHA! You'd sit there staring at a gun breech and hitting a single key to reload? Perhaps you were thinking of making it a mini-game? :D

Upvote 0
Funny enough i was goin to post something like this. My idea was that, presently when the commander fires the gun it reloads while he's still looking down the sight i would change this so he has to leave the sights and go through a reload animation, this is where an extra loader slot would come in the gunner wouldnt need to leave his sight if there was someone doing the loading in the loader slot thus the gunner wouldnt have to take his eyes off the enemy. This could be something for the mg to switch between or the driver when he's not driving it would something to punish solo tankers. Also on the subject of tanks devs please change it so your sights dont go back to the exact same place after firing.

Upvote 0
This does sound boring, but think about it. This would further discourage solo tankers. They would have to drive to a location, then switch to commander to shoot, THEN switch to loader to load it, all the while being a sitting duck, and then drive some more. No one would want to go through all that work. :)

Upvote 0
It wouldn't discurage solo tankers a bit. All they do now is stair at the Icon. If there was a way for them to load faster, ie a loader position that player skill could overide the time now.

Remember also that solo tanking has come about do to lack of a good way to communicate with the driver and suicidal drivers who think its funny to get you killed.

It would be better to fix the problem then create a new one.

PS: It should be noted that in the end a tank is a solo machine when it comes to killing another tank. It only takes one person to pull the trigger. It doesn't matter how many people are standing around waiting for the gun to kill the other guy.

Upvote 0
Sheesh, the biggest reasons for solo tanking is because you can't usually trust the guy getting in the tank with you, and the biggest one; not enough people to crew all the tanks. It's better to have all the tanks on the field with only one person in each than to have 2 or 3 that are fully-manned. This would already make the second problem worse.

Upvote 0
A Tank is a Crew Service Weapon, any Bozo can line up sights...guess a range and press the fire button. But for it to be a deadly instument of warfare in RL it takes a team. Good communication is Key, a good driver is just as important as a good gunner.

A loader would be cool, in the new M1A2 the loader has his own 240MG, I dont know about WW2 tanks though. There would definetly need to be more players to make this position work in game.

Upvote 0
BuddyLee said:
A Tank is a Crew Service Weapon, any Bozo can line up sights...guess a range and press the fire button. But for it to be a deadly instument of warfare in RL it takes a team. Good communication is Key, a good driver is just as important as a good gunner.

A loader would be cool, in the new M1A2 the loader has his own 240MG, I dont know about WW2 tanks though. There would definetly need to be more players to make this position work in game.

The MG on the back of the IS2 turret is for the loader's use.

Upvote 0
I can understand the idea, but it'd be as boring as bat****. I could whack you up a flash game to keep you happy if you like :D

A reloader in a tank during WW2 was practically an apprentice position, he'd spend some time in the loaders role before moving onto a more complex position, usually that of gunner.

Not enough players at the moment to do this.

Upvote 0
BuddyLee said:

funny thing is, RO isnt real life

Upvote 0
Oberst Freitag said:
funny thing is, RO isnt real life

Sorry but thats a lame comment\argument i see gamers use that one all the time of course its bloody not rl but ro strives for realism and teamwork so anything that's relevant in rl should be somewhat relevant when discussing improvements for this game, obviously i am referring to combat not eating or crap like that. The other one i see used is "If you want realism go join the army it's just a game" equally lame argument, if that was the case we'd all be playing cod2.
If you looked at a recent poll you'd see the majourity here are realism junkies people who want to get as close to real combat (to an extent) without actually ever doing it for real me included. Obviously if a realism idea affects the gameplay badly then by all means explain why, dont just say "ro isnt real life".

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:
oh here we go about score again....

Damn those with high scores for killing the enemy and capturing objectives!

when i ask for dead ex presidents of the usa i ask ok ?

it was not against people who try to win the round for the team, i was more refering to people who go only after killing the enemy withing going for the objectiv ( for example sapper on rakowice trying to kill the enemy at their spawn while the 88`s are still not destroyed )

Upvote 0
I think the hull mg should be the loader (his spot would be the only one that can switch to that position and vice versa). It gives him a lot more to do considering the fact that enemy tanks are a lot more important targets to destroy than those enemy riflemen. Whether you make reloading a mini game or you just stare at some animation is up for discussion. This would also give people more of a reason to fill up tanks, of course this would kind of kill off my idea of letting infantry operate the hull mg.

Upvote 0
Ron said:
Funny enough i was goin to post something like this. My idea was that, presently when the commander fires the gun it reloads while he's still looking down the sight i would change this so he has to leave the sights and go through a reload animation, this is where an extra loader slot would come in the gunner wouldnt need to leave his sight if there was someone doing the loading in the loader slot thus the gunner wouldnt have to take his eyes off the enemy. This could be something for the mg to switch between or the driver when he's not driving it would something to punish solo tankers. Also on the subject of tanks devs please change it so your sights dont go back to the exact same place after firing.

Me like this idea.:D

Upvote 0