• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation 3DS max or Maya?

Appleyard

Feb 14, 2006
Which of these programs would you modellers recommend as far as making models for game development? I would like to learn to model so that I can make static objects and things like weapons for mods and such, so which of these programs would be more beneficial to use nowadays? Also, what I was reading in another thread about keeping the polygon count down as low as possible, so could anyone explain what should be a general rule for the amount of polygons in a single object? Also, how would you add a texture to part of an object that isn't modelled? I saw something about this in the other thread, what do you guys mean when you say you should use a texture rather than modelling parts of objects that won't be seen?

I wouldn't say they are the same at all really.

3Ds Max is easier to learn IMO and is the first 'real' programme I used when I got into modelling. Maya however is alot more powerful and well worth looking at, and is what I use mainly nowdays.

Both are very good programmes. My advice would be to play around in both and see which suits you're working style best.

Upvote 0
Its all about preference really, 3ds max, maya, lightwave etc. All got extensive amounts of tutorials and stuff. There are some nice maya tut vids for ut2k4 downloadable (or in the special edition dvd version). I personally prefer 3ds max. If i were you i'd start off with maya because the free maya version Maya PLE is better in support than the free 3ds max version Gmax. So you can see if modelling/uvw-mapping/rigging/animating etc is your thing and get a bit of the taste of it all. If you like it you can just buy a semi old version of one of the programs for not too much money, the newest versions if you aren't a student are extremely expensive :X

I've heard good things about blender aswell. although it is the final product immediately (although its probably better than the free versions of maya and max, but if you like it you can't easily update to a sortalike "better" program.

Milkshape might be cheap but it seriously lacks functionality, i personally wouldn't start with that now. Milkshape2 will be interesting probably though.

So basically, just try some free programs out of the big guys and some open sourced programs. And then you can always decide if you want that certain extra functionality so you'll buy the full version with more functionality.

Upvote 0
i must say that maya is a nice way to learn modelling and stuff but i wouldnt say its better than 3ds max. they both got their advantages but in my oppinion you should try the PLE of maya, just because its free. I also made some nice works with Cinema 4d with that i made a photorealistic bong and all my friends were sayin : wow where did you take this photo :D but im not sure if its supportet by games.

Another nice way is the free software Blender3d. I tried it first at a practical training where i had to make an animated logo for the company i was workin for. in the really beginning it seems totally different than any other gfx prog (especially the surface) i used but when you figure out how it works you can do really nice stuff with it in a short time.

Upvote 0
Blenders good once you get used to it (its an open source program so its free) www.blender.org fairly easy to learn but then i already had experience 3D modeling in 3ds max and lightwave. It exports and imports to and from alot of the popular file types such as .3ds .obj .x and best of it doesnt do the T sections that other programs do wich is an advantage as there a pain to import in alot of game engines. As soon as you know how to switch between selection methods (ctrl + tab) your ready to go.

Upvote 0
Well, both Maya and Max are owned by the same company now so, in the future, you may find yourself knowing both. :)

Both are equally capable 3d modelling tools. Both will get the job done. An investment in time in either will not be a waste of time, unless you are conspiracy minded and you believe discreet will kill off Maya in favor of Max.

As far as UEd development is concerned, I think Max is the better choice. Why?

1. It seems to be far easier to export meshes from Max to UEd than to push from Maya (feel free to argue this).
2. UnrealEd units and Max units are the same (this is probably due to the developers on UnrealEd being Max users at the time).

Other than that, either will do. Personally, I've been meaning to learn Maya for some time now.

Upvote 0
I never had any problems with Maya as far as exporting meshes.

You just select the mesh, type "axmesh" in the command line to bring up the ActorX plug-in (you can also easily just create a shelf icon for this), and press "ok" to create the .ase file.

Maya's units are also the same as UU's as well - with 16 Maya units = 16 UU's.

It's all up to personal preference. I started on Gmax and Max, but it didn't "flow" for me. I first started using Gmax to make aircraft for MS Flight Simulator 2004, and when UT2004 came out I started messing with Max. Then I installed Maya PLE, and within a short time I was making loads of vehicles. The Noderunner I made for UT2004, which was the first custom vehicle released for that game, started out as a Max project but was recreated in Maya.

I just like the power and flexibility of the Maya interface. But that's just my taste. There's plenty of different tools out there that achieve the same result and fit your style of creation. Blender, Max, Carrara... whatever's clever.

Upvote 0
I learned on 3D Studio Max first, but Maya is far more straight forward, when it comes to the Polygon Modeling.

Maya can be kinda intimidating when you first try to use it, but once you get the basics down, it's User interface is far more better then max's, and there are usually less things you have to go through to get what you want done.

Want further stuff for your Modeling program? http://www.highend3d.com

Upvote 0
Model

Model

Appleyard said:
Which of these programs would you modellers recommend as far as making models for game development? I would like to learn to model so that I can make static objects and things like weapons for mods and such, so which of these programs would be more beneficial to use nowadays? Also, what I was reading in another thread about keeping the polygon count down as low as possible, so could anyone explain what should be a general rule for the amount of polygons in a single object? Also, how would you add a texture to part of an object that isn't modelled? I saw something about this in the other thread, what do you guys mean when you say you should use a texture rather than modelling parts of objects that won't be seen?

I build my models in Anim8or, UV map them in UvMapperPro, texture them with PaintShopPro, and convert with Milkshape.

1. Go to www.anim8or.com. Download Anim8or and sign up at the forums -- there are many helpful people and tutorials there. Add the forum Search Page to your favorites. Get a reference picture of what you want to model, put that reference image into Anim8or, and build it. Animate it, render it, rework it. Export as .obj.

2. Go to http://www.uvmapper.com. Download the Demo version. Open your .obj model in UVMapper, select parts of it, Assign Materials, save the model as .obj. Save the texture template. Export uv's.

3. Get a paint program. I've heard good things about http://gimp.org. Open your texture template and paint it different colors, or paste photos on it. Save it as .bmp.

4. Go to http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ and get Milkshape. In Milkshape import your .obj, Export as Lightwave LWO.

At this point the model is ready to import to your map.

Open RO Editor, open your map. In the Texture Browser select -- myLevel. Create new Materials with names matching those you assigned to the Materials in UVMapper. In the Static Mesh browser select -- myLevel. Import your model .lwo. Add your model to the level. Build. Save. Play.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0