• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam automatically updated now game freezes on load

Vakichev said:
Just did, blue screen of death.
I backed up my User.ini and RedOrchestra.ini files, rebooted my system and started the game. Then I connected to an empty server. Quit the game and copied my .ini files back into the new system folder.
Worked pretty good for me...
I think the reboot was pretty important and I hope you did that as well. If not, please try that.

Upvote 0
Had the same issue, installed the SDK and RO:O gave me just about every error so far reported :rolleyes:, but deleting the sdk (via steam) as well as deleting your redorchestra folder (you can save your user and redorchestra ini) did the trick (make sure you verify your file's as well via steam).

Well, hopefully the team will find a solution in time.

Shadehunter

Upvote 0
I had the same problem, had the SDK beta installed and followed the directions and it worked the first time. Let me summarize what I got from about three posts and put it in one place:

(1) Reboot after a lock-up then exit from Steam
(2) Copy your "user.ini" and "RedOrchestra.ini" files from C://(whatever)/Steam/SteamApps/(username)/RedOrchestra/system; don't leave them in that directory. I copied them to a file in My Documents that I named "RO Backups".
(3) Go back to the RO directory in SteamApps and delete everything in the RO directory, but by "select all" then "delete", don't delete the directory.
(4) Re-boot your computer again.
(5) Check your shortcut on your desktop to be sure there's no extra wording in the shortcut's Properties.
(6) Start the game using your desktop shortcut. You will see that the display is wrong, but that's okay. Try to join a server. If you succeed, exit RO and then go on.
(7) Copy your "RedOrchestra.ini" and "user.ini" files back into the system folder in the RO game folder. You will find those folders there, even though you just deleted all from the "RO" folder.
(8) Start RO again using the shortcut. It should be back to what it was, maybe even a bit better.

Worked fine for me. But I do hope they get that bug fixed in the SDK or whatever it is, because I'd really like to mod RO:O. I was even learning how to do that! Imagine! You see: you can teach an old dog new tricks; it just takes a long time! :p

Upvote 0
for those people getting a BSOD when they try to delete the sytem folder
make sure you rebooted your PC AND (important) make sure steam is NOT started with windows.
and whatever you do do not try and start RO: O befor you've deleted those file or you will get a BSOD when you try.
but i allready mentioned this in my first or 2de post here so you all could have know about that allready.

Upvote 0
There was a similar problem to this with the Source SDK a while back. Presumably some of the Steam files related to RO were updated, but the outdated versions from the SDK folder are overriding them.

Elwood_Hirsch said:
Just one question. Would removeing the SDK using
Steams "remove local files" work?
No. That deletes the GCF, but leaves the files that are causing problems.

Upvote 0
This is a ddamn shame - I can't stop playing RO right now cos of Unit Training. So the SDK and the lovely new maps I'm working on have to go onto the back-burner :(

This glitch is delaying the production of the new maps which are going to prevent RO from getting stale.

(althought I expect, as well as cool historical maps, there will be the fair share of joke maps a la DoD Hamsters and Marijuana etc.... or even worse one of those D&D-type mods with elves and orcs and experience points *shudder*)

Upvote 0
Rrralphster said:
I'm not entirely sure if all these people experience the same problem. But I have the feeling it's not the SDK.
For me the problem showed up after the Steam update. I fooled around with the SDK and I could still play the game.

Yes, of course, this happened after the latest STEAM update.

You say you tinkered with the SDK and both the SDK and ROOST work? What did you do? I would like to have both available also...:D

Upvote 0
my little temp fix...

copy ro folder to another location
redo your roed shortcut to reflect copied location
backup ini files in ro dir
del ro dir
start ro
exit ro
copy in backed up ini files
play ro as normal
use roed from new location
i'm new to ued so i don't know how to extensively test it without the steam installation, but it appears to run fine outside of the steam directory tree and you save your editor work

an alternative if you don't want to use the "updated' ro dir:
dearchive the two sdk gcf files to a new location
copy in saved ed work from ro dir
run roed from new location
backup ini files, del old ro dir, start ro, exit ro, copy in backed up ini files, play as normal

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if your pc crash/reboot with SDK

1) goto this folder C:\Windows\Prefetch\ and delete file .pl whose start with RO. Reboot your PC and test again ro.
2)if this still doesn't work, go in your data registr (start menu>execut>regedit), change the key value => EnablePrefetcher de HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters. choose 2 as value. Reboot your PC, et test RO.

Now, new problem : infinity connection (you are stuck with the black screen with "F10 cancels")
(1) Reboot after a lock-up then exit from Steam
(2) Go to the Red orchestra directory in SteamApps and rename the RO directory, don't delete the directory.
(3) Delete your shortcut on your desktop
(4) Re-boot your computer again.
(5) Launch steam and create a new desktop RO's shortcut, Start the game using your desktop shortcut. You will see that the display is wrong, but that's okay. Try to join a server. If you succeed, exit RO and then go on.
(6) Copy your old "RedOrchestra.ini" and "user.ini" files back into the new system folder in the new "Red orchestra " folder.
(7) Start RO again using the shortcut

This should work fine now ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0