• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design come on underdogs... we need MAPs already

Please have some patience. Making a decent map takes months. I hope we won't get this Counterstrike like aditude where they release maps full with errors, where you can run through someones (totally f*cked up) school, workplace or house.

Never release your first map ... trust me on that one. Then when you think your second map is decent enough .... stop again and redo it totally.
also test test test test test test. As there is nothing as annoying as releasing a map and getting 40 posts within 2 hours there is a bug in it.

Afterall have some pride with your map ... being the first doesnt mean your the best. Work on it to get it perfect, add details till your framerate doesnt take it anymore. redo your SM's to tweak the poly count (as you will always find some poly's that can be deleted). Make something your proud on.

sorry for the rant but people pushing other ones into releasing maps isnt the best way for quality.

Upvote 0
Stierlitz said:
i assure you, for some of RO mod mapers veterans 24 hours for a map(with the 12 pack of beer) is REQUERED

I honestly can't say I've known of any of the mod maps that only took 24 hours to complete?
Perhaps they were levels not discussed in the old RO Mod Forums.. ?

Levels like the old 'PakFight' don't really count they are are just existing levels with some RO-stuff thrown in.

Upvote 0
Personally I'd rather wait a bit longer for people to come up with decent looking maps with good gameplay, than have to keep disconnecting from servers I'm enjoying playing on every time they switch to some crappy looking, half finished map, that someone has rushed out before it was ready. Unfortunately, servers will put maps in their rotation even if they're not very good - it happened with DoD source - and it just spoils the game in my opinion. Even more so if there aren't that many servers. You can't always just exit one and be guaranteed to find another that's nearly full/playing a map you like.

Upvote 0
Shadehunter said:
A good map takes time... it has not even been a week for gods sake :rolleyes:.

Give the map designers a break here.
You (and many others) said it for me. There is a BIG difference between a map cranked out by someone who just takes all the DEV SM's and re aranges them here and there with zero logic, pops in the necessary actors and calls it a "new map", to someone who actually has a plan and really gives the map serious thought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes - good and reasonably large scale maps will take a while to produce but the results will be worth it I think.

Once the mandatory ports and 10 minute maps are are out of the way we'll see people knuckling down on some really cool and original stuff but it does take time, especially if the mapper is making or adding their own content such as meshes and textures - development time can take a few months before it's even worth showcasing - anything knocked out within a week and called finished I would probably give a wide berth tbh.

Lruce

Upvote 0
Lruce Bee said:
Yes - good and reasonably large scale maps will take a while to produce but the results will be worth it I think.

Once the mandatory ports and 10 minute maps are are out of the way we'll see people knuckling down on some really cool and original stuff but it does take time, especially if the mapper is making or adding their own content such as meshes and textures - development time can take a few months before it's even worth showcasing - anything knocked out within a week and called finished I would probably give a wide berth tbh.

Lruce
Yeah, I agree, people should take into consideration the different steps and the time involved. I personally don't feel like a map is mine unless I am responsible for at least half of the art in it, arraning and placing existing meshes is a great place to start, but the fun really begins once you start making your own textures and meshes, and I think it's the only way to actually capture the scene that you have in your head. So after the process, design>max>photoshop>max>ued>tweaks, it can take a while to get good results.

Upvote 0
FlashPanHunter said:
arraning and placing existing meshes is a great place to start, but the fun really begins once you start making your own textures and meshes, and I think it's the only way to actually capture the scene that you have in your head. So after the process, design>max>photoshop>max>ued>tweaks, it can take a while to get good results.
Totally agree. The existing SM's you guys made are superb and amazing and I'm using as many as will appropriately fit with my map but like you said if you have a certain plan or scenerio in your head based on real life specific structures etc you're going to have to make your own if you want it to be original and something to be proud of.

Upvote 0
FlashPanHunter said:
Yeah, I agree, people should take into consideration the different steps and the time involved. I personally don't feel like a map is mine unless I am responsible for at least half of the art in it, arraning and placing existing meshes is a great place to start, but the fun really begins once you start making your own textures and meshes, and I think it's the only way to actually capture the scene that you have in your head. So after the process, design>max>photoshop>max>ued>tweaks, it can take a while to get good results.

For making my own textures and static meshes. What program do I use. i am sorry for being so asdlfj.

Anyway I am making my "10 minute map" (that is takeing hoursuponhours) which I will be releaseing next weekend i think. hahaha. Lruce doesnt want me to. I am feel so bad.

Upvote 0