• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unacceptable Loading times!!!!!

Janster

Apr 28, 2006
I've tried to fix my cache and set it according to tweaks..but its still MIGHTILY slow.

It takes me 3 mins atleast to load the maps..this is not acceptable sorry :(

Any help on this?

I have a AMD 2500 + and a S-ATA drive with 1 GIG ram.
It can move 2 gigs faster than this game can load a map.

Janster

Long loading times here.... I used to be one of the first to load in the mod, now I am one of the last. :(
I turned off precaching, and some other tweaks.
Today I even tried installing a new Windows. Loading time for StalingradKessel is about 1min15, while my clanmates load it in around 30 seconds.
Again, I was one of the fastest loading ppl in the mod...
Is there any hope for a patch?

Upvote 0
Exar said:
Long loading times here.... I used to be one of the first to load in the mod, now I am one of the last. :(
I turned off precaching, and some other tweaks.
Today I even tried installing a new Windows. Loading time for StalingradKessel is about 1min15, while my clanmates load it in around 30 seconds.
Again, I was one of the fastest loading ppl in the mod...
Is there any hope for a patch?

try messing around with virtual memory size, and finding the sweet spot of the cachesizemegs. afcourse keeping all the precache to off. And maybe defragmenting your harddisc with something like O&O defrag professional (to get even more of an boost than with just the windows one).

Upvote 0
Hey, I tried some of the cache tweaks, now the game wont load :)

It's brilliant, anyway the game is too slow to load, and nothing I have done has helped.

Now, either this is a problem just with me, and that everyone else loads quickly and fine, or this is a persistant problem, and I find it a bit sad that we have to manually tweak ini files ourselves to make this game run.

Its a fun game, but I seriously don't have time for this.

Upvote 0
Janster said:
... and I find it a bit sad that we have to manually tweak ini files ourselves to make this game run ...

That is something which I don't understand either. Well my loading time is two or three times longer compared to the mod (steam :mad:), but still under one minute with similar specs like Janster.

I luckily knew how to tweak the ini file. But the average user doesn't do such stuff. So why does RO after the first install not create a performance optimated ini file itself, so that only these users who want to improve special things need to tweak the file? I really recommend for the devs to implement such a improved ini file in the next patch.

A lot of trouble with pissed people could have been avoided (precaching, reducing mouse lag...) :rolleyes:

Here is a good twek guide for the ini file:

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4974

Upvote 0
Crymson said:
Hi, I just got this game on the weekend.

I love the game, but i seriously take over 5 minutes to load a map. I can hardly even play with my friends, as i will finish loading, when the map is nearly halfway finished.

2500 Xp
Ati x800 (agp)
1 gig pc 3200
80gig Sata HDD

As mentioned above, look for the tweak thread, I forget where it is, you can search for it. There are a few tricks which helped me shave about a minute off my loading times. So now it's 3 minutes instead of 4 minutes. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Crymson said:
I did the tweaks, and they slightly improved my loading time. Like you said, mabey cut it down from 5 minutes to 3 minutes.

However, I still agree with the OP as this being utterly unacceptable, 3 minutes of loading on a 12-15 map makes for nearly 20% load time vs playing time.

Well, and I know this is hardly the best solution, you might want to find some servers that repeat a map 3-4 times before changing. That way at least you'll get a few full plays...

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter how many times a server loads a map, it will always take a long time to load for those of us with this very frustrating problem.

I appreciate all of the suggestions about tweaking this and that, but honestly it's all pretty rediculous. This should be addressed in an easy-to-install fix ASAP! from the company.

The only true fix I've ever heard is if you can get lots and lots of ram - around a gig and a half. But if that's what it takes to play this thing, that should have been stated in the "requirements to play" section before purchase.

I love the game, but don't play it as often as I would like because of the time it takes to jump from map to map.

Let's hope a patch comes out soon.

Upvote 0
Pzt_Mac said:
It doesn't matter how many times a server loads a map, it will always take a long time to load for those of us with this very frustrating problem.

I appreciate all of the suggestions about tweaking this and that, but honestly it's all pretty rediculous. This should be addressed in an easy-to-install fix ASAP! from the company.

The only true fix I've ever heard is if you can get lots and lots of ram - around a gig and a half. But if that's what it takes to play this thing, that should have been stated in the "requirements to play" section before purchase.

I love the game, but don't play it as often as I would like because of the time it takes to jump from map to map.

Let's hope a patch comes out soon.
Sigh...

The game is playable. You people are bitching about long load times, albiet it takes awhile, it does load and play. Now 99% of the time it has nothing to do with the game, as people with similar rigs load much quicker.

What does this tell us? There's something wrong with YOUR computer. Virus, spyware, fragmented drive, PIO settings on drive, bad motherboard driver, etc., etc. You cant blame the game maker for problems on YOUR rig. There's millions of combinations of hardware in the PC world and most of you don't really know what the hell you are doing and TW surely can't test the game on every configuration.

As for getting more ram, it's not 1999 anymore 1 gig should be standard and if you are serious about playing ANY type of game these days you're better off with 2.

Now for those of you who "can't be bothered" or "don't have the time" to fix problems with your PC, go get a console system. I hear the xbox360 is real nice, of course it doesn't have RO.

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:
Sigh...

The game is playable. You people are bitching about long load times, albiet it takes awhile, it does load and play. Now 99% of the time it has nothing to do with the game, as people with similar rigs load much quicker.

What does this tell us? There's something wrong with YOUR computer. Virus, spyware, fragmented drive, PIO settings on drive, bad motherboard driver, etc., etc. You cant blame the game maker for problems on YOUR rig. There's millions of combinations of hardware in the PC world and most of you don't really know what the hell you are doing and TW surely can't test the game on every configuration.

As for getting more ram, it's not 1999 anymore 1 gig should be standard and if you are serious about playing ANY type of game these days you're better off with 2.

Now for those of you who "can't be bothered" or "don't have the time" to fix problems with your PC, go get a console system. I hear the xbox360 is real nice, of course it doesn't have RO.

I agree with you exept in one point. Steam can be blamed, due too it's compression system, that the loading times are 2-3 times longer then compared without steam. I hope that the devs will find a solution for this.

Upvote 0
MadMax said:
I agree with you exept in one point. Steam can be blamed, due too it's compression system, that the loading times are 2-3 times longer then compared without steam. I hope that the devs will find a solution for this.

I don't aruge the point that steam may lengthen this process but this still doesn't explain the fact that people with similar rigs have dissimilar load times.

That clearly tells me its a computer issue.

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:
That clearly tells me its a computer issue.
Well, what with it being a computer game running on a computer, that makes sense :p. Setup issue might be the phrase mabye. but I know exactly what you mean.

However I do remember reading that optimisations were being made with steam and RO working together, I hope that was true.

Upvote 0
I used to have long load times. I tried the tweaks and it did improve it some. I had a AMD 64 3000 with 1 GB of CAS 3 DDR-3200 memory and a 120 GB SATA drive. I decided to take a chance and overclocked my memory by setting it to CAS 2.5. My load times improved dramatically. From over a minute to less then 30 seconds.

I then upgraded to a 3700 San Diego core and some highspeed CAS 2 memory. My load times are consistent at around 18-19 seconds now. My best guess is the bottle neck is memory bandwidth.

Upvote 0
IT IS NOT STEAMS FAULT THAT THE LOAD TIME IS LONG!!!!!!
I played with steam for years now, and all the games run through steam have short load times. Day of Defeat: Source takes only 15 seconds to load the maps. Half Life 2, only 23 seconds. Counter Strike: Source, only 10 seconds.

In this game i have to wait for 1 minute and 45 seconds- 2 minutes and 30 seconds depending on which map. So it is not steam, its your computer and the settings of the game.

In other words get more RAM
Or
DO SOME TWEAKING
Cause its not going to get any better just complaining about it. Tripwire cant do anything about it cuase its a heavy duty game and all heavy duty games like
World War 2 Online
&
Red Orchestra
take alot of RAM and memory out of your system when loading

These guys up here have alot of suggestions on tweaking, they work, i have tried them. SO STOP COMPLAINING AND DO IT YOUR SELF!

Upvote 0
lan785 said:
IT IS NOT STEAMS FAULT THAT THE LOAD TIME IS LONG!!!!!!
I played with steam for years now, and all the games run through steam have short load times. Day of Defeat: Source takes only 15 seconds to load the maps. Half Life 2, only 23 seconds. Counter Strike: Source, only 10 seconds.

In this game i have to wait for 1 minute and 45 seconds- 2 minutes and 30 seconds depending on which map. So it is not steam, its your computer and the settings of the game.

In other words get more RAM
Or
DO SOME TWEAKING
Cause its not going to get any better just complaining about it. Tripwire cant do anything about it cuase its a heavy duty game and all heavy duty games like
World War 2 Online
&
Red Orchestra
take alot of RAM and memory out of your system when loading

These guys up here have alot of suggestions on tweaking, they work, i have tried them. SO STOP COMPLAINING AND DO IT YOUR SELF!

What a reasonable argumentation. :rolleyes:

Extract your RO folder and compare the loading times to with and without steam. :rolleyes:

But it's true many people can't configure their system properly. Tweaking does a lot, but steam is still a unecessary waste of ressources. :mad:

Upvote 0