• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Bridge: Ostfront

I like this idea a lot 'Kaner, i didnt even know that you made maps :eek:

If this map is set in Russia then have parts of the river frozen over for a way to cross, but of course many parts to fall through if you're not careful, maybe use sheets? with a SLIGHT difference in coloration or shading, make them look like thin patches in the ice and put a warning for thin ice on the overhead map...
it would slow down the attackers, they don't want to fall into the river and die, but also give them a way to flank.

need help mapping this?
I'll offer my services if i have time, Burning Sands has me booked right now tho...

Upvote 0
I plan on having arched supports. What would you actually climb on tho?

Denaeron Im not planning on even having the river acessible although it will be frozen. Right now its at the bottom of a huge cliff and giving an acess route to it would take away focus from the bridge battle and it would take forever to get down there let alone all the way back up to the top of the other side. Thanks for offering of help, Ill keep you in mind.

Upvote 0
If you make the Reds the defending team, you could give the Axis a halftrack. That wouldn't be too difficult to kill with a PTRD or two for the Reds, but would give the Axis a bit of extra firepower and some mobile cover to offset the natural defensive advantages of a bridge.

Something else you could consider might be blowing the bridge. Along the lines of the movie Bridge at Remagen, where a critical objective for the attackers was to strip charges while an objective for the defenders was to reach an emergency firing point after the main charge lines were cut by artillery fire. You wouldn't have to simulate the artillery fire, either - have it happen before the map begins and shown by a bit of pipe cut by a shell crater, much like the movie scene.

Regards

Upvote 0
Just dont make it TOO much like the AA map. Its way to simple and boreing. You fight on a bridge....and thats it. The way this one is starting to look, looks alot better with the introduction of buildings etc. Bridge maps can be cool, i remember the MoH bridge map was sweet as hell. Good luck, i look forward to playing it.

Upvote 0
I decided Im not a mapper. Spending hours upon hours lining up grid lines isnt my thing and I appreciate even my least favorite official maps so much more. I cant even fathom how you guys did stuff like Kessel, Basovka, and Konigsplatz. When I played Basovka after staring at UnrealEd for a week it looked like Unreal Engine 5. Ill stick to optimization, 2D art, and dabbling in code. Im glad I at least got as far as I did because it really is nice to know how maps are done and I can even stare more in wonder at the devs skills.

So sorry to disappoint anyone anticipating this but to be honest it would have sucked if I kept going. I got the base terrain down, the basic main building layout, a skybox, and the spawn positions setup and Id be glad to give it to anyone who would be interested in finishing it. If not, Ill delete it for good.

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
I decided Im not a mapper. Spending hours upon hours lining up grid lines isnt my thing and I appreciate even my least favorite official maps so much more. I cant even fathom how you guys did stuff like Kessel, Basovka, and Konigsplatz. When I played Basovka after staring at UnrealEd for a week it looked like Unreal Engine 5. Ill stick to optimization, 2D art, and dabbling in code. Im glad I at least got as far as I did because it really is nice to know how maps are done and I can even stare more in wonder at the devs skills.

So sorry to disappoint anyone anticipating this but to be honest it would have sucked if I kept going. I got the base terrain down, the basic main building layout, a skybox, and the spawn positions setup and Id be glad to give it to anyone who would be interested in finishing it. If not, Ill delete it for good.

I could work on it however I cant make 3d objects yet I dont have maya and what not so I just use the ROost stuff. So if you want me to work on it i will. Well i hope you do well and whatever else you are doing.........good luck on 2d art.
So if you want me to work on it, well its you decision. Wait a while there might be mappers better than me that will work on this.

Upvote 0