• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WW2, unreal engine 3 style...

I really find it annoying that when you play, you allways get the feeling you are elite and they suck alot.. Like, we are a squad of troops, taking out division after divison! :d

+ I was very frustrated at the fact that there was no sway on the weopens.. it looked kind of silly while running around and looking around, but still, it was a awesome game, I really hope this new one is not a copy from the old one...with some new graphics.. Please give us ability to get supressed yourself, outflanked by enemy, etc (like, how often did that happen in the other game :/)

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
Brothers in Arms is a good game. In many cases it was more tactical than RO the mod.
Well you were forced to use flank tactics only.

Not really tactical if you ask me... :p
Nimsky said:
The firefights in BiA work almost perfectly. It's definately as realistic as RO, as long as you set the difficulty on highest and disable all of the silly icons. Sorry, but I just had to defend one of my favourite games there. :)
Well the firefights take longer than your average 2sec firefights, but there were people who'd easily hit a head popping up at 200m+...

Can't say that of Brothers in Arms's paratroopers... :D
Nimsky said:
The vid... I doubt it's ingame. Did you see how he grabs that soldier that gets shot? I don't think that's going to happen in game. If the animations really do look like that, I'm going to cream myself.
Well I guess it's rendered real-time, but this certainly is pre-scripted with out a doubt.

I also noticed that the Mk. II grenade is a concussion grenade in the game, look at the shockwave and the soldier falling down...
I thought it was a "Mk.II Pineapple fragmentation grenade"... :D

Not to mention antracite-colored bakelite Thompson submachinegun with fake-wood butts made of bakelite... :D
Nimsky said:
Oh, and the game is set in Holland! :) I've been wanting a realistic WWII game set in Holland for quite some time! :)
Well, I was also planning a mod for Red Orchestra about the invasion of Holland for a while now... :D

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
Brothers in Arms is a good game. In many cases it was more tactical than RO the mod. The firefights in BiA work almost perfectly. It's definately as realistic as RO, as long as you set the difficulty on highest and disable all of the silly icons. Sorry, but I just had to defend one of my favourite games there. :)

The vid... I doubt it's ingame. Did you see how he grabs that soldier that gets shot? I don't think that's going to happen in game. If the animations really do look like that, I'm going to cream myself.

Oh, and the game is set in Holland! :) I've been wanting a realistic WWII game set in Holland for quite some time! :)
BiA's firefights were far from realistic, it was simply 'supress, flank rinse and repeat'. There was no variety in the tactics whatsoever, it was compounded by the map design where there was just conveniently placed obstacles for cover EVERYWHERE. Bascially there was no dead ground, and nothing to challenge players and force them to think outside of "shoot in their direction for a while then tell my guys to assault".

Upvote 0
Reddog said:
BiA's firefights were far from realistic, it was simply 'supress, flank rinse and repeat'. There was no variety in the tactics whatsoever, it was compounded by the map design where there was just conveniently placed obstacles for cover EVERYWHERE. Bascially there was no dead ground, and nothing to challenge players and force them to think outside of "shoot in their direction for a while then tell my guys to assault".

That's exactly how most firefights happened. Tell me what's more realistic; supressing, flanking and assaulting, or nadespamming and two-second firefights?

BiA's firefights FELT realistic and I think they did a great job. You really had to fight for ever piece of ground. Sure there wasn't a lot of variety in tactics, but which infantry tactics do you think they should have added in addition to supression and assaulting, then?

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
That's exactly how most firefights happened. Tell me what's more realistic; supressing, flanking and assaulting, or nadespamming and two-second firefights?

BiA's firefights FELT realistic and I think they did a great job. You really had to fight for ever piece of ground. Sure there wasn't a lot of variety in tactics, but which infantry tactics do you think they should have added in addition to supression and assaulting, then?
Well you could smoke 'em out, force them to move back by destroying their cover, you could get them in to a position they have to surrender, etc...

Upvote 0
Looks good but more like a WW2 version of the Matrix with all the slow-mo crap.

And yes, while suppress/flank probably was one of the major infantry tactics of WW2, I hate how BiA absolutely forced you to use it everytime. What about when there was a German who wasn't quite behind cover? I could just see and aim at his head, but round after round didn't kill him. Why? Because the games code had dictated that the opponent was behind cover, andtherefore absolutely invulnerable until I attacked from the flank.

Lame.

Another time there was a section where I took up a machinegun position. Germans were advancing across the fields to cover positions near to my squad. "Sod this" I thought, "Im not waiting for them" and I just opened fire onto the Germans who were out in the open, clearly hitting them. Again, however, none of them went down. Why? Because they hadn't got into their cover positions. I had to wait for them to do that and then have to go through the rigmarole set-piece battle of suppress then flank them. Utter bull****. That's when i quit the game and uninstalled.

I don't want to have to play the same set piece everytime. If I have a clear shot at the enemy, I will jsut take it. Why bother wasting rounds to go through the whole suppress/flank procedure when I could take out the enemy with some well placed shots and save all the mucking around?

Upvote 0
BicycleRepairMan said:
Have you seen ANY of the screenshots/movies of UnrealEngine 3? like Gears of War and Huxley?

This is ingame stuff, the next generation of games.

Google videos of UE3
wnd vid needs better sound, all I heard sonded like an adult from Charlie Brown! :p

Conscript said:
Looks good but more like a WW2 version of the Matrix with all the slow-mo crap.

And yes, while suppress/flank probably was one of the major infantry tactics of WW2, I hate how BiA absolutely forced you to use it everytime. What about when there was a German who wasn't quite behind cover? I could just see and aim at his head, but round after round didn't kill him. Why? Because the games code had dictated that the opponent was behind cover, andtherefore absolutely invulnerable until I attacked from the flank.

Lame.

Another time there was a section where I took up a machinegun position. Germans were advancing across the fields to cover positions near to my squad. "Sod this" I thought, "Im not waiting for them" and I just opened fire onto the Germans who were out in the open, clearly hitting them. Again, however, none of them went down. Why? Because they hadn't got into their cover positions. I had to wait for them to do that and then have to go through the rigmarole set-piece battle of suppress then flank them. Utter bull****. That's when i quit the game and uninstalled.

I don't want to have to play the same set piece everytime. If I have a clear shot at the enemy, I will jsut take it. Why bother wasting rounds to go through the whole suppress/flank procedure when I could take out the enemy with some well placed shots and save all the mucking around?

Agree totally! I did the same thing with the first one, being forced to "Wait for enemy to take cover, suppress, flank, lather, rinse, repeat" SUCKS BALLS! I want more "openess" from a game. Ability to use different approaches, tactics, ect.

Upvote 0
Looks nice,i would be interested to see how or if the British part of the Operation is handled with regard to XXX Corps/The Guards Armoured in particular,but seeing the Deuce and halfs in the vid i doubt it.

click's on the Salty Bastard Screamin' Eagle rifle squad

'1st Squad ,suppress those Kraut bastards'

click's on the English Cromwell tank

'You Limeys Drinks some more tea'

Upvote 0
That video was incredibly unimpressive right down through to the corny "Hell's Highway" logo. How can these people cheapen WWII so much and everyone actually eats it up? The dialogue was corny, the graphics were unimpressive considering UE3 is possible of looking so much better, the fighting was unrealistic, and the style was so...cartoony. Hahaha and those ironsights were pathetic.

Now before you start with oh thats not fair its real hard to do this and that and they work hard and former RO devs worked on this blah blah. This is their job. They get paid to make it look right and all they manage to do is put out a cartoon version of WW2. Im sick and tired of these companies polluting the market with filth like this. They just keep making the same damn game over and over and over again. Medal of Honor, Brothers in Arms, Company of Heroes, Call of Duty....they cant even make a ****ing original name. Here before you start wondering what the future holds for WW2 gaming fans, Ive got a list of the upcoming titles:

Code of Valor
Honor and Courage
Comrades in Valor
Comrades in Armaments
Brothers of Battle
Heroes of Dignity
Call of Engagement
Command of Valiancy
Brothers of Gallantry

Its not that they keep redoing the Western Front. No, theres no problem with that because nobody has even come close to doing it right. Its that they keep making the same arcadey piece of trash. I can still recognize a good WW2 arcadey game but I just havent see one yet. They cant even do that right. They made one formula and now theres a million of them and a million sequels to each one. When BiA was announced it was supposed to be as realistic and authentic as Band of Brothers, in fact the owner of Gearbox was a huge fan of the series and modelled BiA after it. Well sir, you failed miserably. Seems to me like it wasnt working out so the crappy first game got shipped, surprisingly sold well and now we're faced with increasingly worse versions that cheapen the scope and heroism of the actual events.

I really hope Tripwire stays around because there the only ones with enough integrity to put out a substantial product.

Upvote 0
Well said Amerikaner, ;)

This game is bad or Unreal Engine 3.0's sake...
Like the previous Brothers in Arms is looks crappy, and probably is as lineair too as I can conclude from the video's.

It could really use better textures, and the Flak 18 misses sighters, they screwed up the Mk.II Pineapple fragmentation grenade by making it act like a concussion grenade!, their weapon models look nasty, their normal maps look nasty, I would have used parallax mapping on those street bricks and dropped the subsurface scattering on their faces....

It might look better, but not good enough...

Upvote 0
Yes, Amerikaner has hit the nail on the head. All of these titles are basically the same...cheesy, over hyped cartoons portraying the heroic all-American soldiers fighting the evil, monocle-wearing Nazis. Tosh.

I also agree with your point about Western front scenarios. The market is saturated with the above games, yet no one has taken the time to make a gritty, realistic shooter I actually want to play. I know, I know, no-one on this boards wants to see 'another Western front game', but if someone like Tripwire would make one with authenticity, realism portrayal of all combatants involved then remove all the unoriganal American-flag waving and corny "Cover me, Im going in!!" cigar chewing bull***** then we'd all be better off.

Basically, my fantasy would be a WW2 game covering every major front that is based upon Red Orchestra. And I don't mean the physical basis of engine, realistic gameplay dynamics, etc, but also the heart and soul of RO: attention to detail, style, grittiness...all the things that make you know you are playing Red Orchestra and not some other crappy WW2 cartoon. Its jsut a dream at the moment though...

Upvote 0
Not gonna mention gameplay, because I dont care for BiA's. But how the hell can you say the game looks like crap? It looks fine! Oh sure, it doesnt take full advantage of every bell and whistle possible, but so what? IT DOESNT NEED TO TO LOOK GOOD! Peoples standards are getting too high for games, and Im hoping the processor barrier(MHz limit due to required power) isnt broken for another 20-25 years. What all these people do then? "But I want it faster, bigger, because that means it better!" Hell with those people! I hope they get royally reamed in the worst way.
/rant

Upvote 0
Conscript said:
Yes, Amerikaner has hit the nail on the head. All of these titles are basically the same...cheesy, over hyped cartoons portraying the heroic all-American soldiers fighting the evil, monocle-wearing Nazis. Tosh.

I also agree with your point about Western front scenarios. The market is saturated with the above games, yet no one has taken the time to make a gritty, realistic shooter I actually want to play. I know, I know, no-one on this boards wants to see 'another Western front game', but if someone like Tripwire would make one with authenticity, realism portrayal of all combatants involved then remove all the unoriganal American-flag waving and corny "Cover me, Im going in!!" cigar chewing bull***** then we'd all be better off.

quote]

Well conscript this might interest you then, have a look if you havent already http://www.1944d-day.com/

Upvote 0