• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shouldering Weapon Discussion (Merged Threads)

Vote_Pi said:
If you are 2 feet away from an enemy German, aiming is the LEAST of your concerns. Jesus christ, if anybody needs to aim from 2 feet away, they deserve to be shot... ok?

What about times you're in a nice position and Just as you raise ironsights a guy comes around the corner? Thats what Im talking about. Im talking about a situation when they pop out of no where

ATLEAST Have ironsights interrupted when you fire. atleast

Upvote 0
Been suggested dozens of times, but here again for discussion. Shoulder Firing.

Been suggested dozens of times, but here again for discussion. Shoulder Firing.

Yes been talked about, lets just remind everyone and renew discussion.

Right now we either have the choice of going inaccurate hipshooting with lots of view, and superaccurate ironsights shooting with barely any view. Can we please get a compromise? What about shoulder firing? What's shoulder firing you ask? Well its exactly what the name implies. You have your weapon up at your soldier but you're not looking through the sights. You should be able to do a SLIGHT jog in this position (not as fast as hip shoot jogging, but not as slow as ironsight walking). This will allow for rifles to have a more realistic CQB fighting, as well as SMGers being in a much better position for room clearing.

Opinions?

Upvote 0
You need to be able to interrupt bringing sights up to shoot when needed. I don't care what kind of penalties result, super-mad recoil, even shoulder damage, if it keeps me alive in a situation I'll take the penalty. No matter what Nite says, it seems like there's at least once in every five or so hours of playing where I have died because I was not able to fire when I wanted.

Upvote 0
Yes I saw that, but I wished to bring it up for renewed discussion instead of necromancing an old thread. As well this is to remind the Devs of this idea, as well as everyone else. If people don't wish to say anything new, then this thread will go nowhere and that will be that, so, no problem.

Upvote 0
In my opinion it would be a great addition to the game.

But I think it's important to make a distinction too. When I talk about 'shouldering' I am not referring to tactical shouldering/stance, that is a thing which came in many years after WW2. What I mean is just the instinctive placement of a weapon into a shouldered and ready to fire state. This is a natural thing and anyone who has moved with a firearm whether it be stalking game or actual military training knows this.

Upvote 0
Everyone who is objecting to the idea has completely mis-understood the whole thing. Let me explain.

Because of the crazily over-exaggerated freeaim area in RO it is unrealistically difficult to hit people in CQC without using the sights. Therefore, it's very often a good idea to bring them up even in indoor fighting. In this sense, RO is COMPLETELY unrealistic, but we've just got to live with what we've got and pull the sights up now and then in extreme CQC.

Problem is, if you're about to go around a corner and expect an enemy there, you will want to pull up the iron sights because otherwise you have a great chance of missing. Therefore as you approach the corner, you press the iron sights key and it begins to bring up the sights. Just as you have clicked the button, an enemy comes around the corner about 1-2 meters away, aiming at you, ready to gun you down.

What would you do IRL? You'd not wait until you can bring up the sights, you'd just pull the trigger already!

What would you do in RO? Well because you're mystically stuck in the iron sights animation, your avatar suffers from a temporary, unrealistic inability to pull the trigger. All you can do is stand there and watch him take a shot at you because you cannot do a thing being stuck in the IS animation. You can't shoot him or run away or anything else like that. Well, you could go prone, but at that range he's not going to miss you even if you do, plus that is COMPLETELY unrealistic nobody would do that IRL. They'd just shoot.

There are many ways to solving this problem. First of all you could reduce the ridiculously huge freeaim zone to prevent people from needing IS at ranges less than 10 meters. Or you could enable people to interrupt the IS animation by shooting, sprinting or performing a melee attack (and re-load animation for that matter though of course you couldn't shoot without a chambered bullet). Preferrably both.

Yep I know guns have a strong kick. I've shot many different pistols and a couple of shotguns and a rifle myself, enough to say that it would be realistic.

And to the guy above - to me it usually happens every time I play RO, depending on the map of course (eg in Stalingrad its happening all the time but in open maps like hedgehog/k

Upvote 0
Hipshooting really isn't that hard with practice and most likely the guy coming around the corner is going to hipshoot you anyway. The actual time to bring up the gun is tiny. As a tip perhaps you should duck everytime you start to bring up your ironsights when a guy is attacking you so you present a smaller target. Another tip is when you think someone is near keep your ironsights up and ready so when he does pop around the corner you get a nice headshot on him (I've done this a lot). It just takes judgement and practice.

Upvote 0
Centar said:
Everyone who is objecting to the idea has completely mis-understood the whole thing. Let me explain.

Because of the crazily over-exaggerated freeaim area in RO it is unrealistically difficult to hit people in CQC without using the sights. Therefore, it's very often a good idea to bring them up even in indoor fighting. In this sense, RO is COMPLETELY unrealistic, but we've just got to live with what we've got and pull the sights up now and then in extreme CQC.

No, it's not. No, we are not. You are claiming it's impossible when clearly someone has done it to you. You haven't used practice mode have you? You know, the offline mode with the dumb bots. Start a map, type "god" and "allammo" in the console. Run around the map shooting from the hip with whatever weapon you had your butt handed too with. You will learn how to shoot from the hip. Then, the next time you are moving around in close quarters, you have the oppritunity to deal back a little damage.

Upvote 0