• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Insults - Second Thoughts

Reznor

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2006
Darmstadt, Germany
In my opinion, the taunts are a very unique idea (and that you Tripwire-guys actually got the guts to implent them) and in terms of realism and casual use I'm in favor of them.
Most of the RO community has a rather grown up attitude and its a pleasure to play with most of them, but as in every game there are the idiots and annoying people.

Spawn-Killers/TKs are easily kept at bay with the spawn protection and a TK-kick-mutator, no real problem. People acting stupid in your tank... well, you have to deal with it :p

But one thing I noticed - and today really got driven mad by it - are those people who tend to use the insults "a bit too often", because they find it cool. Today I played a few games, and there was that one annoying guy who kept using the insults every few seconds if he wasnt completly busy being shot or so. Since we were both at the german side, I was forced to hear those all the time (thanks to voice-command-broadcasting!) and since I'm german myself I actually understand what they are saying... and its not very nice. When I asked him to stop, he laughed at me and spammed even worse. After a while I had to switch teams, so I couldn't hear it anymore.

I know those are supposed to be rough insults and are fitting in the szenario, but still those insults are really hard ones. Those are ones you would normally NEVER use, not even in a joking way (like "aww come on you faq!" to a friend or so) since they are simply to hard...
So I got no real problem with that, since normaly you only hear them rarely in the game. But as I wrote above, there is nothing that stops people from spamming them, which makes me (personally) pretty uncomfortable. 1. If you understand what those insults mean, its a lot more than some german gibberish. 2. I don't want those insults come out of my speakers loud... what the fork are the people next door supposed to think!?

You know that feeling you get when someone says something really unfitting (and people get suddenly silent and stare at that person)? Well, that would happen if someone would use those insults in real life today. Just to give another example what those insults are like. I could translate the german ones into the coresponding english ones without problems, just cant bother to go into the game again right now, insulting ;)

I would like a comment of the devs, if they plan to keep it this way, because it really bothers me personally... don't know what other german or possibly russian people say, but after the game will have been released in germany etc., there might come up more people who think alike.

I would suggest two things:
1. A limitation on the voice-taunts, like a restriction per minute or something similar. Just to keep the quantity down.
2. The "voice-broadcasting" needs to be changed into a distance-based-volume-system! I mean the fact, that you always hear the voice commands at full volume, no matter where someone else of your team is. Its not just annoying, but also unrealistic and makes many of the voice commands rather useless! If someone shouts "Grenade!" I don't really care anymore, because it could be right anywhere. Same with "Need ammo" or "infantry spotted". So someone on the map somewhere needs ammo or spotted an enemy somewhere on the other edge of the map. Great, that helped me...

And another thing about the insults:
What is there point, actually? So far I only heard the enemys insult once! In most cases, people either use the insults out of boredom, because they just discovered them and fool around with them, or because they think "they are cool" when insulting. If you are near enemys, you hardly ever use them, since your hands are usually busy and you don't want to reveal your position as easily.
Ironically most of the time the only ones hearing your insults are your own people, and if you piss someone of with those insults... well, its usually your own team. Like that they can't even add immersion or athmosphere, so I can't really see a point in them at the current state...

I wish the Devs had included an english translation instead of the *insult thingy. I cant understand what they are saying, but my friend that speaks german asked me if I knew what I just said.?? Umm...*insult? IDK :eek: If it is ok to shout them in german, why can't the words be printed in english?
I personally like to yell "we are burning" while in a tank. Only after we are on fire of course. :)
This one guy was saying "loaded" after every time I said "we are buning" :eek: lols.

Upvote 0
Ghost22 said:
The "ammo needed" one is useful only if you're an MG'er. Of course, not many people pay attention to the commands you give. I was playing some map and I had the MG42. I kepy saying I needed ammo and everyone would just run right past me without caring or anything (except 1 or 2 people).

I had to run back across the map to one of the resupply crates to pick some ammo up.

They must of just missed you... Resupplying gives you 5 points:D

Upvote 0
And as another extra to the mg'er shouting 'need ammo': when an mg'er calls for ammo, on your objectives map, a nice little red dot apppears, indicating where that mg'er is situated.
Sometimes when I feel like it, I play dedicated mg support. Simply supplying and supporting the mg'er. Both you and the mg'er will do better. You because you supply him with ammo, the mg'er because he stays alive longer. And when the mg'er does get killed, you simply pick up his mg to continue the bloodbath. If the mg'er is a clever guy, he'll soon be next to your side. Now you'll have 2 mg's for the price of one, giving each other mutual support.

Upvote 0
Okay, now for some some entertainment, I "collected" the german insults and will write proper translations to them (I hope the mods make an exception to swearing rules etc. - if not, just tell me. I'll edit the stuff away again).

So these are the german insults with their corresponding translation (as good as I could):

"Verdammte Russensau!" - "Damn russian Pig!"
[Actually "Sau" means "Sow" - the female version of pig, but that has no bigger meaning behind it]

"Arschloch!" - "Asshole!"
[Plain and simple]

"Krasse Russen, die Drecksschweine!" - "Rank russians, those filthy pigs!" [This was is rather complex: the adjective "krass" isnt used like that any more today, more like describing something. A "krass" Movie could be simply very good (LotR landscape-scenery could be called "krass"today) but it could also mean very shocking or appealing. Just "special" in some weird case. I chosed the adjective "rank" as a translation which I found on leo.org and it was most fitting. Afaik its not used in that way today anymore too, just like "krass", which became a complete different meaning]

"(Ihr) Scheiss Russen!" - "(You) **** Russians!"

"Drecksau!" - "Filthy pig!"

"Die verdammten Bolschewisten!" - "Those damn bolshevists!"

"Du minderwertiges St

Last edited:
Upvote 0