• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Slowing down exit from Tanks (merged)

CaptRanger

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006
www.highest-degree.com
If this has been suggested in another thread, ignore that other thread.

As it is now (and it has been discussed plenty) exiting vehicles is completely unrealistic. You just bounce immediately out of them.

A solution I propose is to setup a system where you have to press and hold the action key for a set amount time time before you get to leave a vehicle. For vehicles with historically easy access, make the time less than for ones that were hard to get out of.

You could display a progress bar on the screen, that when full, signals that one is leaving the vehicle. If anyone has played America's Army, I'm thinking of the same type of progress bar that is used when taking an objective or performing specific actions.

This bar would be the only new graphic needed, so other than the data collection about ejection times, it should be an easy and realistic fix.

It's a nice interum solution, but it still poses some of the same problems with the current exiting system. Once the loading bar is finished, you're still going to suddenly appear outside the vehicle, with no warning to the infantry around you. Granted, it should help with the "ubertanker" popping out and gunning down the faustniks, but the devs should really think about implimenting full entry and exit animations. Like I said, until then, it would be sufficient.

Upvote 0
I suspect that many if not all of the current problems will be addressed as vehicles are fleshed out with more animations(entrance, exit, loading gun, firing gun, etc.), interior view (like looking around and seeing your fellow tankers) and functionality (riding the tank(would limit max speed), gears(would make driving even more of a skill), etc.).

Upvote 0
Maltodextrin said:
It's a nice interum solution, but it still poses some of the same problems with the current exiting system. Once the loading bar is finished, you're still going to suddenly appear outside the vehicle, with no warning to the infantry around you. Granted, it should help with the "ubertanker" popping out and gunning down the faustniks, but the devs should really think about implimenting full entry and exit animations. Like I said, until then, it would be sufficient.
I agree 100%. I was just looking for a solution that could be quickly put into effect...

I would also like to suggest putting the solution I mentioned above in for switching to other spots in a vehicle. I think "lone-wolf" types get too much of an advantage switching from driver to gunner instantly. It would really help promote teamwork if it took some time to switch from the gunner spot to the commander spot.

Upvote 0
Good points here.

Its easy to exit a vehicle and have the advantage on any infantry waiting outside because they don't know where you're going to appear. Exit animations are definitely the key, but whether they can be implemented on this (engine my guess is yes) and how difficult and time consuming that is are factors in its implementation.

Switching positions in a vehicle provides no delay in game, I'm assuming to make tank battles more enjoyable, particularly for servers with few players. But why then when you switch view within your current position do you have to wait for your player to move, when he isn't even going as far? My guess is to make the experience more immersive, even though the delay in one case and not the other are rather inconsistent.

Upvote 0
Scoobin said:
Good points here.

Its easy to exit a vehicle and have the advantage on any infantry waiting outside because they don't know where you're going to appear. Exit animations are definitely the key, but whether they can be implemented on this (engine my guess is yes) and how difficult and time consuming that is are factors in its implementation.

Switching positions in a vehicle provides no delay in game, I'm assuming to make tank battles more enjoyable, particularly for servers with few players. But why then when you switch view within your current position do you have to wait for your player to move, when he isn't even going as far? My guess is to make the experience more immersive, even though the delay in one case and not the other are rather inconsistent.

Good points.

I agree that switching positions quickly is good for servers that have few people in them. But, if everyone on the server also had the same delay times switching positions, then it should even out. It would give even more insentive for people to stick together, even if a server is pretty empty.

At the very least, the dev's should make an option like this for the server admin to choose to have or not. Or it automatically enables to a 'switch' delay when a certain amount of people join a server.

I dunno, but the way things are now just seem way too arcadey!

Upvote 0
Moz said:
I had a better idea, you have to be unbuttoned to exit. (except the mg, who just gets a lame delay.

And when you enter a tank, you enter unbuttoned.

If this was implemented along with a short delay for exiting as the original poster mentioned, it'd work rather nicely, and tie in well for any future entering/exiting vehicle anims.

Also I'd second the idea of a short delay (3-4 seconds maybe) when changing positions in a tank. I enjoy a bit of lone wolf tanking myself, but more crew is better, and people have to start learning to drive somehow :)

Upvote 0
Maltodextrin said:

I think that would be the only good way of doing it.

Upvote 0
Zath
Absolutely, full enter/exit animations - Operation Flashpoint style, but better ;) - are the way to go.
Unfotunatly, thats about as good as its going to get (partial animation, then the player disapears). Even with full animations it will still look awkward, you can't do animations for all types of terrain and situations. You have to stick with 1 and just hope it works in most situations. Yet again, this is something for the UE3 version :cool:.

Upvote 0
Zath said:
Absolutely, full enter/exit animations - Operation Flashpoint style, but better ;) - are the way to go. But if a progress-bar kind of press-wait-hold-you're out solution is quick to be worked out (hell I would imagine a mutator could do it), then I give my full support to that too, for the time being. :)

For what it's worth.

Yer true.

One thing I know is: exiting vehicles by travelling through the Earth, then the vehicle and out the roof then magically appearing beside the vehicle looks kinda funny. :p

Upvote 0
Slowing down exit from Tanks (merged)

I think there should be a time delay in getting in or out of vehicles. As it is now, you instantly get in and out of vehicles and tanks. I think there should be a time delay. In real life, you must open doors or hatches, and climb into the vehicle.

What would be better is if there was an animation (much like the opening of hatches we have right now) that would show you climbing onto the tank, opening hatches and whatnot and then climbing in and closing them.

This is just my opinion though. I looked through the compiled suggestions and didn't see this so i'm guessing this is a first, but I may be wrong.

Upvote 0