• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

When an engine is on fire, does it eventually destroy the tank?

Sclass12

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2006
New Jersey
When you hit the engine of a tank and it catches on fire, it does not seem to have any effect on the peformance of the tank. It can go at the same speed, or slightly slower, but that seems to be it. Does the engine eventually blow up or crap out, eiter taking out the tank or just immobilizing it? It seems pretty stupid that an engine engulfed in flames can perform the same as a new engine in another tank.

No. All the flaming/smoking engines do is indicate your healthpoints.

This is one of my big beefs with the tanks. Unless you get hit in the engine, and even then only if it with a lot of retained energy, you SHOULD NOT have a smoking engine!

All it does it give away your positions, even behind hills people see your smoke trail, making it impossible to survive for long.

It also points you out among several other tanks as having the "lowest health" so everyone just aims at you. And with the SU-76 it is the eptiomy of lameness to see the entire crew compartment engulfed in fire and no one being incapacitated.

Upvote 0
Reaperman said:
I think the HP system needs to be abolished altogether, with a realistic penitration/spall/shrapnel damage model introduced..

There's no hip point system, just level of damage. I've had my "red" tank glance dozens of shots without dying. I think the system has no way to show "selective damage". So weather your engine is out or you've been holed 2 times without destruction they are both indicated by a "red" tank with tons of smoke and flames.

In other words, graphically what you see on a tank, even after it's destroyed (all tanks in the game "brew up" when in reality a lot of time you couldn't even tell a tank was knocked out until you got close to see the hole in it) has nothing to do with the status of the tank. All tanks that have suffered a holing hit but not enough to "knock it out" will show "red". All tanks that have been "knocked out" reguardless of "how" they were knocked out, show burning wrecks.

It's either a limitation of the engine OR more likely it would take a lot more meshes and models to show all of these status.

Upvote 0
There is a hitpoint system that takes effect after penetration.

Even Ramm confirmed this, when he talked about how the hull takes damage and this successive damage eventually mounts up.

In real life this would not happen. Unless the crew is incapacitated, or the ammunition or fuel goes off, there is nothing that is going to sustain "progressive damage."

Hence, the fact that we have a tank "health" that wittles down, resulting in teh destruction of teh tank even though the crew is unharmed and the ammo/fuel not hit, means there are hitpoints.

PS. What it really boils down to is this: "hitpoints" and "level of damage" are the same thing in my book, it's just semantics. The way the tanks are destroyed in this game is consistent with the hitpoints system, so for all intents and purposes, it is a hitpoint system.

Upvote 0
Jack said:
Hence, the fact that we have a tank "health" that wittles down, resulting in teh destruction of teh tank even though the crew is unharmed and the ammo/fuel not hit, means there are hitpoints.

Yeah the lack of damagable hitboxes inside the tank is the thing that really bugs me... they only exist for the ammo.

As far as I can tell there are only three ways to damage a tank -

1) Ammo Storage hit (see the wireframe schematics that the Devs have posted) A penetrating hit that goes through to Ammo Storage kills the tank immediatly.

2) Track hit - Inconsistant at best... sometimes take hits on one side of the tank that disable the track on the other side... at least the tracks can actually be disabled

3) Progressive damage - as more hits penetrate the armor, the tank takes progressivly more damage - "health bar" goes yellow, then red.

I should also mention Engine compartment hits. At the moment, you can "damage" the engine... the engine in the "health bar" starts flashing red... unfortunatly it doesn't actually prevent the tank from moving which I'm assuming is a bug that's creeped in since beta.

As I've said before and I'll keep saying till one of the Devs confirms that it's being implemented =P We really really really need more hitboxes inside the tank. I'd recommend the following hitboxes:

A) Crew!! Even if the position is not actually occupied by a real player a penetrating hit to a crew hitbox should disable the position. If the postion is occupied it should obviously wound/kill the player. I'd like to see hitboxes for all the actual crew even if the positions themselves aren't actually manable - ie if the loader gets killed you can reload MUCH slower (your gunner or TC has to work around the loader's body etc)

B) Maingun - This one's obvious a penetrating hit to the gun / breech should disable the gun.

C) Fuel - Especially important for the GASOLINE powered tanks (T-60!)... not such a big deal on the diesels...

D) Engine / transmission - already in just needs to be bugfixed.

Other things I'd like to see but can live without if the hitboxes are implemented

Fire damage - if a tank is burning it should either go out fairly quickly or destroy the tank (force the crew to bail or kill them) - use this in place of the current progressive damage system.

Damagable optics - give the PTRD guys something to do other than kill Tigers =P

Stuck tanks - drive through mud / rivers have a chance of getting immobilized

But to re-iterate - ADD MORE HITBOXES THAT CAN KILL THE TANK/CREW AND DAMAGE TANK SYSTEMS and get rid of the progressive damage.

Upvote 0