• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is teh T34 cannon too weak to penetrate at extreme ranges?

IconoclastDX

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2006
Many times (especially on Arad) I am *completely unable to penatrate the *frontal armor of *german tanks at *extreme ranges.

*completely = 0/~50 shots
*frontal armor = 90 degree angle
*German tanks = Not sure which as it is difficult to tell at that range.
*Extreme range = 800-1000 meters

In particular Im speaking of Arad, shoting from North feild to the wall in front of the German tank spawn. Its about 900 meters and I simply cannot get throught the front armor of anything over there with the T34. Even with optimal angle. One tank i pelted 14 times with every shot deflecting. (I was able to get off that many shots because the ememy gunner was near-sighted or simply a very bad aim) The only way I can get anything is to hit it from the side. On the other hand, some of their shots can penetrate me. Is this typical or am i doing something wrong?

Last edited:
if you trust (having at first read ;) ) the primary source materials out there, Russian armor was not effective at that range until well into 1943 (more likely 1944) because of their poor optics, and poorly manufactued ammunition. even at the later stages of the war, it was the heavier caliber guns that had success at that range.

contrarily, the german optics and ammunition were superb.

Upvote 0
I do not know how well it is modeled in the game but the 76mm gun on the T34m43 and earlier models was inferior to the German 75mm, both in accuracy and killing power. This was somewhat compensated by the inferior armor on the PZIV and earlier model tanks.

The t34-85 had a gun that was about equal to the German 75mm (but not as accurate). It did have a better HE effect though. In real life, it rarely could hurt a panther at any sort of range from the front, or tiger for that matter.

The high velocity 75mm on the panther could punch out just about anything but the late model SUs and JUs, not to mention the late model 88 that we do not see in this game.

The Russian 120 mm was a efficient tank killer but saddled the tankers with a very slow rate of fire and a poor ammo load.

Upvote 0
The T-34/76 coud not handle the heavier armored Tiger & Panther at range. They were usually charged into the German tanks to negate the better range of the Germans. The up-gunned T-34/85 had problems also but was at least more of a threat starting about 500 meters out. The Panther's heavier armor gave it the advantage at long range because it could stop the 85mm shell. The T-34/85 had thinner armor (about 75mm) but could still be destroyed by the Panther's 75mm gun at long range.

Upvote 0