• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO:OST sales figures?

Most companies do not release exact sales figures. They will often say things like 'We have exceded expectations by (insert percentage)' or 'Sales are better than expected' or the likes, but an exact number is considered privelaged/sensitive information. :)

However, on that note, RO seems to have done all of the above, so for that, Kudos TripWire!

Upvote 0
Well, as someone said, people don't usually release exact figures - they bull**** around them. So let me see how much b/s I can spout in one go :)

The sales figures exceeded Valve's predictions by a long way, although Valve had set their expectations low. We (Tripwire) weren't making any predictions, we merely had a number of target levels to hit. The first target level was simply to be able to pay off all our personal debts to the developers and to those who were standing over us with with big baseball bats going "Ullo... where's my bloody money, then, sonny?" (think bad Michael Caine or Snatch gangster accent here for full effect).

We have cleared that hurdle: no-one is now going to die because we didn't pay our debts. And a huge thanks from the owners to ALL the developers, as they put a lot of faith in us and the product and took a risk along with us.

Beyond that, the game is selling at a good pace over Steam - and we are now expecting to see the boost from the box sales as the boxes finally get right across North America (many stores still haven't done their "quarterly restock" thing) and across Europe, where we know there are a lot of people waiting.

Have we made enough to retire on? Fat chance. Have we made enough to stay in business and bring you a steady stream of free content updates? Yes, so far :)

Upvote 0
look filet mignon at a nice restaurant is expensive. it also requires a refined palet and some maturity and culture. RO:O is the "filet mignon" of shooters right now, surrounded by people that prefer McDonalds (CoD2, DOD:S, CS:S, etc.).

I just take some joy from the fact that I am not a mass consumer of PC Gaming "junk". Most of us here are the same way. take your running & gunning, twitch & jerk, bunny hopping festival and shove it. along with all the foul mouthed kiddies, bad team players, and score whores. shove them.

these idiots will never prefer filet mignon. they are happy with their mediocrity. it is what it is fellas. :)

this dichotomy of taste resembles real world and real life culture very will IMO.

Upvote 0
I dont know if this can be said enough but please please please TWI, resist the evil enticing of a big wig publishers! Not every game has to fit in into the lowest common denominator!! And never, NEVER forget the shambled remains of development companies like Ion-Storm!!!*

Or you can just ask yourself why you should listen to a nobody like me.

* Although I think IS is making Bioshock.

Upvote 0
[RO]Wilsonam said:
Well, as someone said, people don't usually release exact figures - they bull**** around them. So let me see how much b/s I can spout in one go :)

The sales figures exceeded Valve's predictions by a long way, although Valve had set their expectations low. We (Tripwire) weren't making any predictions, we merely had a number of target levels to hit. The first target level was simply to be able to pay off all our personal debts to the developers and to those who were standing over us with with big baseball bats going "Ullo... where's my bloody money, then, sonny?" (think bad Michael Caine or Snatch gangster accent here for full effect).

We have cleared that hurdle: no-one is now going to die because we didn't pay our debts. And a huge thanks from the owners to ALL the developers, as they put a lot of faith in us and the product and took a risk along with us.

Beyond that, the game is selling at a good pace over Steam - and we are now expecting to see the boost from the box sales as the boxes finally get right across North America (many stores still haven't done their "quarterly restock" thing) and across Europe, where we know there are a lot of people waiting.

Have we made enough to retire on? Fat chance. Have we made enough to stay in business and bring you a steady stream of free content updates? Yes, so far :)
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for that report, and it is good to hear that success level was high enough to provide with free stuff. [/FONT]

Upvote 0