• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Should tanks be a one person operation?

Should tanks be a one person operation?

• YES: One operator would make tank battles more fluid

Votes: 24 10.8%
  • NO: Leave it as is and make players co-operate

Votes: 199 89.2%

• Total voters
No i dont think they should be made for a one person thing. the way it is now is easy enough to solo. I do solo in tanks alot but i wont ever tell someone to get out of the tank im in unless they are tking. I do give everyone a chance though. if someone gets in the tank with me that dosnt listen to voice commands or voice chat or even read the chat messages i just jump right out of the tank and let them do whatever they want and wait for a new tank myself. Im not sure why but it seems like most people dont ever hear local chat channels and alot of people dont listen to team chat. makes tank communication a bit tough sometimes.

Upvote 0
I voted no. I like this game because it promotes realism. 1 person driving the tank and gunning at the same time is just not right. It would be just like going back to Battlefield series tanks which is fun. There was a mod for BF42 that had drivers and gunner/commander seperate.

I was on a map yesterday where people were helping each other out in tanks. I was having fun. I do not wish for this to change.

Upvote 0
Johnny555 said:
It is ok as is. Lets not make it harder for solo tankers. Or easier for that matter.
There are already penalties for solo tanking. We don't need any more. It will scare off new players.
I disagree alot people who want to play this game do so because they hear teamplay makes a difference and people who go lone wolf are ineffective, solo tanking being so effective and easy is pissing off the majourity of players who play the game. Put simply i believe even a crap crew should be more effective than a one good tanker, the problem with this game is that three one man tanks working in tandom is much better than a single fully crewed tank which is stupid for a game this realistic.

Upvote 0
Ron said:
I disagree alot people who want to play this game do so because they hear teamplay makes a difference and people who go lone wolf are ineffective, solo tanking being so effective and easy is pissing off the majourity of players who play the game. Put simply i believe even a crap crew should be more effective than a one good tanker, the problem with this game is that three one man tanks working in tandom is much better than a single fully crewed tank which is stupid for a game this realistic.

Three tanks in coordination can get 3 shells on target in the time a fully manned single tank gets one shell. Especially because of VoIP. I'm all for a server side option to gimp up 1 man tanks. For pub servers generally leave it off. On clan and realism servers turn it on.

Upvote 0
Koed said:
Just last night I had this guy that just ignored every 'stop' 'forward' request from me and just drove around like an idiot ignoring my teamsay requests. He just drove around until the tank either got stuck or blew up.

But the sad thing is that the guy kept spawning with me.. and no matter what I tried..he kept getting into the same tank. :(

Those are the moments I think I'd be better of driving the tank on my own.
And I'm guessing this is the reason most other players want to drive solo too.

I know a much easier way to avoid that. Hop in the drivers seat and let him gun. That way you can show him how much a deasent driver means and he might be a better driver after that.

I have seen a lot of people complain about people hopping in their tanks and driving them away, but I am astounded that you never thought about driving instead. It will get you just as many points, if not even more. And no one, not nobody will drive you into harms way.

Lazarus[TT.d]:D

Upvote 0
I am fairly new and last night teamed up with some tankers with voice coms for the first time. Due to my greeness there were some problems but we killed more than we got killed and I have seen the light. A good team is going to deal out some hurt. I can't wait to try it again.

It is like making love for the first time. After that, going solo is OK when you have to, but it is just not the same as doing it with a partner.....:p

Upvote 0
stigmata said:
I am fairly new and last night teamed up with some tankers with voice coms for the first time. Due to my greeness there were some problems but we killed more than we got killed and I have seen the light. A good team is going to deal out some hurt. I can't wait to try it again.

It is like making love for the first time. After that, going solo is OK when you have to, but it is just not the same as doing it with a partner.....:p

:eek:

Upvote 0
No...

...no

...and no.

I *really* do not want to relive the days of BooFoo'42 or even CoDUO. This system is so much better ...an so much more rewarding. (Did you know that everyone gets points for someone else's kill when you are part of a tank crew.) Anyways ...clanner(like myself) have the easiest time with this 'cos they utilize methods of communication that may be outside of the game such as TS ...and they know each other enough that they just meld well in knowing what the other is expecting.

I agree on the time delay to switch positions and to exit/enter any vehicle( ...oh and the vehicle has to be at a stop ...not rolling at 45MPH!) This should effectively put an ent to solo tanking! 'nuf said.

Upvote 0
Pz502_swiss said:
I would very much like to see MORE tank realism. The crews should be full...or nearly full before any tank could be used. Tanks in this game need a lot of realism work. They're fun sure........but if you can hit everything you point at at range, its just not real. I say bring in a REAL ballistic reticle, full crews, and then I will get in a tank.

Yep, I agree-there is no going back to COD for me. The more realism the better and there is a lot of room for improvment with the tanks. A nice touch is for server admins to have to choice to lock any tank that is not occupied by two players. Then players could have a choice of which servers to play- But there would be details to work out. Should a tank be punished by immobility if out in the battle and the commander gets sniped? Maybe other suggestions are better. Delay in position changes are the best, and definitely death when jumping from a fast moving vehicle.

Upvote 0
Playing with a bot in your tank makes tank maps unplayable. It would be nice to have enough players that driver and gunner could always be filled, but I'm not always seeing that kind of oppurtunity in the servers available to me. For these reasons I'd like to see the current system at least remain as an option in the future.

Upvote 0
Unbelieveable ... this happened to me today:

It was Arad, I was german. On the spawnpoint, there was only one tank left, a Tiger. There was one guy in it called D.A.G Unteroffizier or something like that(somehow I imagine that I've heard that name before). He started to shout "Get Out!", I asked why. Then he said, "noob" and "you don't even know how to angle the turet". I was like wtf? We weren't even in combat yet! I told him to shut the hell up, that I'm playing RO since 3.2 and am not a noob, but he still didn't give up and continued shouting "Get Out!". Then we met our first enemy tank, and I shouted "Stop". He tried to angle the tiger with his pseudo-angling. We got destroyed in the first hit.

What an idiot.

Upvote 0
DraKon2k said:
Unbelieveable ... this happened to me today:

It was Arad, I was german. On the spawnpoint, there was only one tank left, a Tiger. There was one guy in it called D.A.G Unteroffizier or something like that(somehow I imagine that I've heard that name before). He started to shout "Get Out!", I asked why. Then he said, "noob" and "you don't even know how to angle the turet". I was like wtf? We weren't even in combat yet! I told him to shut the hell up, that I'm playing RO since 3.2 and am not a noob, but he still didn't give up and continued shouting "Get Out!". Then we met our first enemy tank, and I shouted "Stop". He tried to angle the tiger with his pseudo-angling. We got destroyed in the first hit.

What an idiot.

lol, that guys posts here all the time. that is why you know the name. if your account is correct, he sure soundws arrogant and moronic.

Upvote 0
YES, It's not realistic but this is a game and in games you have to compromise
some for the sake of game play and fun.
On public server's there are way too many noobies and jerks that ether
don't know how to angle the tank, don't listen to directions, just constantly drive,
never stopping and inevitablly getting you killed over and over.

Upvote 0
I voted negative, for reasons listed above by several. I also fully support longer delay position switching :)

And as a side note (not stiring flames, honestly): why don't some of those who complain about people 'not knowing how to drive/angle/maneuver/etc' try driving, and let the noob be the gunner? You get the same points, and gunning is MUCH easier than good timing as a driver.

Upvote 0