• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Who fought at Stalingrad?

Jono

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2005
Apart from the germans and the russians that is:rolleyes:
It's just that i heard of other countries fighting there, supporting the germans..even if it was only a small squad from a certain country i would still like the name.

cheers,
Jono

Jono said:
It's just that i heard of other countries fighting there, supporting the germans..even if it was only a small squad from a certain country i would still like the name.

cheers,
Jono

Guess Austrians would count as Germans too? ;)

I don't know any units, but the involved nationalities (which can be found with a forum search) include:

Axis:
Romania
Italy
Finland (they had their "own" war though)
Hungary
Spain
indigen anti-communistic partisans

Allies:
Polish and Yugoslavian partisans

Upvote 0
Stierlitz said:
мы победили под Сталинградом

all the lucky germans who survived, surrendered...

Yet not all who surrendered survived. I too lost two granduncles due to ostfront. One was captured in the Kessel and never returned from the Gulag, and the other commited suicide while on vacation from the front.

Upvote 0
Jono said:

cheers,
Jono

Among the Axis troops trapped inside the city itself were the 1st Cavalry Division of the 3rd Romanian Army and the 20th Infantry Division of the 4th Romanian Army. There were also smaller elements like a 1,200 men strong detachment led by Colonel Mihai Voicu (commander of the 4th Army Corps' artillery) and two AA batteries, the 2nd Vickers and 102nd Rheinmetall of the 4th AA Artillery Regiment, 4th AA Battalion. They were deployed at Tuzov and Karpovka airfields. In total, the Romanian Army lost 16 out of 18 divisions engaged in the campaign at Stalingrad. That's roughtly 160,000 men.

Third Axis, Fourth Ally. By Mark Axworthy, Cornel Scafes and Cristian Craciunoiu. Pages 111-112.
The agony of 1st Cavalry's and 20th Infantry Division's 12,607 men in Stalingrad endured to the end of January 1943. Believing that 20th Division represented a weak link in the southern perimeter, the Soviets had attacked its 82nd Regiment on 31 November but were firmly repulsed, leaving ten tanks knocked out in the Romanian positions. Further attacks on 3 and 10 December also failed. The Germans awarded more than 50 Iron Crosses for these actions, and the division's commander, General Tataranu, was awarded the Ritterkreuz on 17 December.

Fortunately the Romanian infantry and cavalry used the same 7.92mm round as the Germans, and could be kept supplied with small-arms ammunition. However, although the two divisions had reached Stalingrad with half their artillery and anti-tank guns intact, they soon ran out of shells and the Germans, who did not use compatible rounds, had thereafter to be relied on for artillery support. 20th Division's infantry regiments were therefore distributed around the German IV Corps. 1st Cavalry Division's horses were eaten by 6th Army during December, and its personnel were then distributed in combat teams to a variety of German divisions in XIV Panzer Corps.

Regular external contact with 20th Infantry and 1st Cavalry was lost on 13 January when General Tataranu, an influential former Deputy Chief of the Army Staff and supporter of General Iacobici, flew out of the pocket without authority, to complain to Antonescu that Romanian commanders were being deprived of control of their troops. Antonescu was furious that he deserted his division, and would have put him before a court martial had Hitler not intervened at the request of General Jaenecke, his German corps commander inside the pocket. The remnant of 20th Division appears to have been kept in the line until 26 January, when it finally collapsed, the day after 6th Army could no longer supply its rations.

Only between two and three thousand Romanians survived to go into captivity. Field Marshal Paulus, the commander of 6th Army, said to them:
"In the circumstances the fighting spirit and leadership displayed by the Romanian units in the army under my command deserve special commendation. With the assistance of heavy weapons of the normal German type issued to them, and thanks to determined leadership by their officers, these troops fought gallantly and showed great steadfastness in the face of all the hardships to which they were subjected."

stalin1.JPG

To keep warm during winter at Stalingrad one would do almost anything
Source: http://www.worldwar2.ro/foto/?id=165&section=3&article=12

Upvote 0
The Croatian 369th Regiment fought at Stalingrad

The Regiment's men participated in some of the hardest battles in the attempt to take Stalingrad. A typical day of fighting in Stalingrad for the men of the Regiment was described by the Commander of a platoon of the 3rd Company, Lt. Bucar:

"...When we entered Stalingrad, it was ruined and in flames. We took cover in trenches and bunkers, as the enemy was hitting us with artilley, Katusha rockets, and with aircraft. I was lucky not to lose any men, but the Second Platoon lost one man dead and 5 wounded, and the Third Platoon 13 dead and wounded. Around 6:00am, German Stuka aircraft bombed the area ahead of us, and an attack was ordered towards the northern part of the city. My platoon's mission was to, in conjuction with a German unit, clear the Freight Station, and then the railroad dike, and reach the Volga River. Night fell under constant bombardment. I didn't lose any men, but our transport unit was hit badly, and lost 10 men, 40 horses, and an equipment truck with ammunition..."

more here...

Upvote 0