• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

1944D-Day

Nimsky said:
About the limited beta...

Would it matter if I would just play it without reporting bugs, being active in the 1944 community, playing a lot etc? Because I don't have any time for that.
I think they are looking for those who have loads of free time. I think the beta is there to help the devs and not just show the game to people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
Seems way too ambitious to be true. If you can actually pull it off it will blow everything else away.

Are there any screens of the game on the Reality engine?
Well, there are some (I'd say amateur) Reality Engine games out there like CellFactor, Monster Madness, etc.

It really is ambitious though, but it certainly is not impossible... ;)

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
About the limited beta...

Would it matter if I would just play it without reporting bugs, being active in the 1944 community, playing a lot etc? Because I don't have any time for that.
I'm a mod tester and part of the FAQ team. Activity is a must if you want to get the position and keep it.

Its ambitious, but the AI sim is years of work on Ronan's part. This project is very real.

Upvote 0
All of Normandy recreated from photos, maps and drawings

WAAAREAAEAJJJAJAJAJJ<MAMADAADADAHAHAHAYAYYAYAYAMUAAHHAHWARARA!

My mind is blowing, if this game comes out and I can blast Amis on Omaha or Land at Coursulles-sur-Mer I will eat my own hat!

This sounds soo good

"
Stretchers and Field hospitals will be in the game, but we won't be making doctors playable. But medics, priests, press (reporters, photographers and camera men) etc will be included."

PRESS REPORTERS!
DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MIGHT MEAN!
we might be able to make the craziest SPR MOVIE WITH A GAME! Or just an uberrealistic ww2 newsreel.

SWEET

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Two of our researchers are heavy documentary heads and they really wanted those classes in the game. So they could make a virtual documentary while on a server.

So we tried an implementation and it worked fairly well, I cant say at the moment that its overly efficient, as it does slow down the game more than other classes. But I'll work on it some more in a few months, try and get the bugs down and performance up.

I never liked the Term "MMORPG" anything realistic person would know that creating such a title from an indie standpoint is very difficult. I see people posting on gamedev daily with no programming history, claiming they will make an MMORPG. I did not want 1944 to suffer the same faith. So I looked into a scaleable network system, and luckily Reality Engine already has RakNet integrated. So the Online element can scale based on the speed of the servers.

If I were to call 1944 a MMORPG, I would be slagging myself off, and telling myself that I would fail before I even get past design process. Thankfully, I consider it a simulation and have been getting my hands dirty for years now (I bloody hate team leads who come up with a half baked plot, or simply do the website or PR, Christ I do all that and more, and still put in over 25 horus programming a week. Actually the best title I have seen on a mod or indie team is: CEO, wtf?? anyway before I go on my rant about mod team structure and how they have to be run by someone with more than a shred of talent.)

I am a programmer and I approach development like a programmer

Simplest Correct Solution.

So while alot of these features seem extremely complex, programming them is pretty straight forward. AI took alot of effort to figure out and design, but once I nailed down what patterns to use and what technology, it was pretty straight forward from that point on.

Upvote 0
Well, I have to say I’m still sceptic. Just imagine the sheer amount of work that has to be done to make all the things in the game: the entire area of Normandy including all villages, buildings, landmarks, bunkers, woods, hedgerows, hills, roads.... the level design alone is a huge undertaking.

And I haven’t even mentioned the the hundreds of 3D models, programming etc you have to do... making the infantry combat as intense and fluently as RO’s will be a challenge as well.

If you guys succeed though, it’ll be one of the best multiplayer games ever made. I hope you do succeed. I wish you guys good luck.

Question: how is 1944 different from WWIIOL? (the comparison seems obvious)

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
Question: how is 1944 different from WWIIOL? (the comparison seems obvious)
1944 is also SP, and will be even more realistic.

It does have better graphics and physics, but that's not the goal of 1944 D-Day.
The core element is the AI system, the other things might be good or bad, but 1944 is centered around the AI system...

Upvote 0
Development is only ever as good as the tools. We have various development applications that allow for the map to be very rapidly put together. Its based on a similar principal as the heightmap

Where the heightmap creates the terrain, we then have overlay maps, that we use to locate, trees, hedgerows, roads, buildings, etc.

Each feature is on their own map, that simply takes about 3 or so hours to draw up. Once thats done, the hard work begins. As we will have a very rough cut of the entire map inplace in about 20 odd hours work.

Then we place the map on a server, using the sandbox we all login, and systematically go through the map, adjusting the buildings locations etc. Applying properties etc and genearlly adjusting the level.

We have around 15 developers working on the map, so the extensive area suddenly becomes far smaller. Its a painstaking process, but it means that everything is done right.

Automation helps to get the shell of the level together in a very fast and rapid way. So its not as long as say creating the entire level in Unreal Ed or Hammer.

That said, assigning the properties is very very slow process, I'll be writing a script that will do this automatically base on filename structure. But thats still a long way off.

Upvote 0
Reading the FAQ i came to believe that this game/simulation/virtual-reenactment will have a ground breaking weapon aiming system.

By this I understood, that its gonna be dynamic and will depend on the movement/position of the character.
This also makes me believe that you have to manually line the sights up, not just pressing the button.

If this is the case, I will go mad. This game just sound like a dream.
I wouldnt care, i would get a new PC if the game will be as good as the FAQ states it.

GUY! PLZ MAKE SURE THIS GAME BECOMES REALITY!
Becaus if it will, it will blow everything away into the back corners of outer space.

Upvote 0
Ronan said:
From reading the thread, i am very interested at the moment in the mod, and I have a image inside my head of Operation Flashpoint ( Bigenviroment) meets Hidden and Dangerous 2. Sounds great guys and i am looking foward to look at some ingame screens, and reading more info on it. :)

MAN! its more like
OP+HD2+RO+SoldiersHeroes ofWW2+CMBB+BIA+COD+DOD+AA+WW2OL+.......

OMFG This game gonna be so kool.

Just imagine playing as Fallschrimjager, or A Panther driver in the 12thSS or a Canadian Division landing at Coursulles

Upvote 0
Ronan said:
From reading the thread, i am very interested at the moment in the mod, and I have a image inside my head of Operation Flashpoint ( Bigenviroment) meets Hidden and Dangerous 2. Sounds great guys and i am looking foward to look at some ingame screens, and reading more info on it. :)

Just to make it clear one more time. This thread is not about mod for HL2 or BF2. The mods are another project. What we are discussing here is a full commercia game made with Reality Engine, not Source engine. The mod that the devs are also working with is not the same as the full game.

Upvote 0