• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pps43>ppsh41>ppd40

Grobut said:
Also, the STG-44 was not the first Assault rifle, just the first to be called such, quite a few semi-auto rifles before it can arguably be called AR's as they use a scaled down rifle bullet, but some argue they dont qualify as they wont fire full-auto, but one did, and also used a detachable box-magazine, the Avtomat-Fedorova, fiering the Japanese 6.5mm Arisaka round, was developed allready in 1910, and saw service with the Russian army from 1916 to 1925.

The Avtomat-Fedorova used the Japanese 6.5x50SR Arisaka round, which is not a scaled down rifle round. So i argue that the Fedorova does not qualify as a Assault Rifle.

Upvote 0
toMra said:
The Avtomat-Fedorova used the Japanese 6.5x50SR Arisaka round, which is not a scaled down rifle round. So i argue that the Fedorova does not qualify as a Assault Rifle.

Thats pretty much the crux of the matter, what is an AR? i've seen people debate the definitions till they where blue in the head.

Personally, i'd say the Arisaka round does qualify, it was afterall an early attempt at a smaller low-recoil round, at a time where standard rifle rounds where quite large, but others will argue that the Ariska was just not small enough.. to me though, thats just splitting hairs.

Upvote 0
toMra said:
According to the world.guns.ru Assault Rifles section intro (unfortunately, the Avtomat-Federova doesn't have its own article yet) Federov did plan for it to use an intermediate cartridge, and even designed a new 6.5mm round for it, but changed the design to fit the more common Japanese 6.5mm Arisaka round.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as00-e.htm said:
The history of the concept of the assault rifle started in the early 1910's, when the famous Russian armorer, col. Fedorov designed a small-bore selective-fire rifle with detachable box magazine. Initially, Fedorow designed a brand new small-caliber 6.5mm cartridge for his rifle, but, due to WW1, switched to the Japanese 6.5mm Arisaka load, which was less powerful than the Russian 7.62x54R and available in quantity. This rifle was aquired by the Russian army in small numbers in 1916 and served (in very limited quantities though) with the Russian and Soviet (Red) Army up to 1925. While the design of the selective-fire rifle was not unique for that time, the concept of the "lightened" cartridge, more suitable for full-auto fire, was new. Also, col.Fedorov invented the idea of infantry weapons families (assault rifle, light machinegun, medium machinegun, vehicle and/or aircraft mounted MGs) based on the same actions and receivers.

Upvote 0
Grobut said:
Not really, the Russian army had allready decided their next weapon should fire the 7.62x39mm (they where experimenting with it at the end of the war, Siminov's SKS and Degtyarev's RPD used it before the AK), so Kalashnikov had no choice but to use that round.

It is, however, likely that the Russians decided they should go that route because of the STG, im not sure, i haven't read much about how that decition came to be.
The M43 cartridge is a direct result of the lessons learned by the Russians from the MKb 42's. Even Russians finally start to admit that (not Kalashnikov himself though)http://news.pravda.ru/science/2003/08/02/52996.html. They did exactly what the Germans did: Cut down their existing rifle round to produce a new intermediate cartridge of the same calibre to be more cost effective. Neither the Germans nor the Russians thought of their individual solutions (7.92x33 and 7.62x28) as ideal by the way. Interestingly both beleived a dimension of around 7x40mm to be perfect, but both sought to retain as much of their existing production equipment as possible.

And as mentioned the Arisaka doesn't really classify as an intermediate cartridge... at least not in my eyes.

In any case, experiment with intermediate cartridges and according semi-auto rifles were made by many countries in the early 20th century: Russia, Germany, the USA... just to name a few.

What makes an assault rifle and assualt rifle? Lots of room for debate. But still the StG44 would be the most valid winner of being the first. Like Schumpeter says: There's no innovation without exploitation, and the Germans most certainly were the first to really make use of the assault rifle. Also from the mere technological point of view, the MkBs and StG44 are the first to incorporate all of todays assault rifle features: straight lined design with seperated pistol grip and stock, intermediate cartridge, select-fire, closed-bolt operation, closed top receiver.

Upvote 0
Grobut said:
As did the Avtomat-Fedorova.

The STG ran with the fame because:

1) it was the first to be called something new and interesting, and was very successful (the Avtomat-Fedorova suffered from reliabillity problems, preventing it from becoming Russia's main infantry weapon durring WW1, though that was actually planned!).

2) others where more obscure and little known in the west.. hell, how many of you knew there was such a thing as an "Avtomat-Fedorova" untill today?

Umm that is all good a and proper...it may have been the first technically ...but it was not reliable and did not work properly enough to go ahead and build on mass..let alone issue to soldiers

That is why the the STG will be always the first proper AR Because it was designed, Built and distributed on Mass and war tested.

It is only then a a rifle becomes a Rifle....rather that a dream.

but that is not to take credit away from where credit is due....but fundementally on all aspects..the STG was first...Prehaps. minus the concept prehaps and experiments...but a concept could have been in the mind of a Englishman befor ehand anyways.

Upvote 0
Shepherd said:
I usually go with the '41 because I like its intimidating sound and if you find a good spot it's better than the Degtyarev. Furthermore it's not that hard to control after you know how to shoot it.

Intimidating sound? It sounds like a full-auto BB gun!

I ussually go for the '43. It seems the most controlable. I've seen various sources online about it- half claim it to be the "best SMG of the war", the half half calls it a piece of crap cobbled together in under-siege workshops so the trapped Soviets could have SOME SMGs.

Upvote 0
ill admit i too had dissmissed the Pps43, but for most maps i still love the ppsh41.... the amo capacity is simply awsome! Ive massacured entire groups of enemies with it in one pass. Combined with the fact that i dont have to risk a reload when im on the front lines... i simply love it. Also once you develop an eye for hip shooting its actually quite accurate without iron site.

of course it has to do with your style of play, I always play very agressive offense... and most of my team doesnt... so ill unfortunatly find myself usually alone trying to cap flags (which works surprisingly but agonizgly slowly)... i basically need the firepower to deal with 3-4 targets either at once or in quick succession (no time for reload).

maybe when there is more teamwork ill be able to use the Pps43 more often... then just on the wide open maps.

Upvote 0