• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KonigsPlatz map-Why is the Siegess

Really nice Postcards.

The Reason why the Map has not been designed to include fighting inside the Reichstag is simple (iirc that is). Its a matter of having a smooth running Map, if the Reichstag would be modelled with an Interior (and not just Boxes) you would easily double the Polygon Count of the Map.

This might seem strange but to properly modell a Damaged Building of this Scale and have it look good (to the Standard of the Exterior) needs a lot of Polygons to be used. But it would make for a nice extra Map. Perhaps with the Reichstag Approach and the Interior of the Reichstag.

And i might be wrong but the Photograph with the raising of the Flag happened 2 Days after the Reichstag had been captured, it was taken on the Idea of a normal War Photographer who asked some Soldiers if they wanted to do it... At least if my Memory serves me right.

Upvote 0
Witzig said:
Really nice Postcards.

The Reason why the Map has not been designed to include fighting inside the Reichstag is simple (iirc that is). Its a matter of having a smooth running Map, if the Reichstag would be modelled with an Interior (and not just Boxes) you would easily double the Polygon Count of the Map.

This might seem strange but to properly modell a Damaged Building of this Scale and have it look good (to the Standard of the Exterior) needs a lot of Polygons to be used. But it would make for a nice extra Map. Perhaps with the Reichstag Approach and the Interior of the Reichstag.

And i might be wrong but the Photograph with the raising of the Flag happened 2 Days after the Reichstag had been captured, it was taken on the Idea of a normal War Photographer who asked some Soldiers if they wanted to do it... At least if my Memory serves me right.

I have no idea about the polygon limitations in the game but it would be good if it was just a matter of modelling it as opposed to any polygon limitation.

Yes, you are correct. The photo of the flag being raised above the Reichstag WAS staged, and is a story in itself. Though I think there was a large amount of (political) pressure to get a flag atop the Reichstag (and photgaph it) at any cost.
Read more about it here , here and here. Just found this other great link.
I remember seeing a doco on the "who was the first to raise the Soviet flag over the Reichstag" controversy and apparently from what I recall the guy who did it went unrecognised in history as no one ever took a photo of him doing it. I remember seeing him being interviewed and telling his story in front of the Reichstag.

subhuman

Upvote 0
We talked about including interiors for the Reichstag for quite some time but the initial design doc for Konigsplatz didn't include this as far as I'm aware or it became evident very early on that creating the internal spaces would take up too much time and unfortunately the schedule didn't allow for this to be included - it was a close call though because a lot of the team fancied the idea right up until the end of development - Getting the level to run at reasonable frame rates was also another factor that influenced part of the decision to shelve this idea - also there were literally only one or two old black and white photo's of the interior of the Reichstag that hinted at what it was like so nothing concrete on how it actually looked - we could have used artistic licence to 'create' the space but it would have been pure guess work

Nice research photo's btw

Lruce

Upvote 0
Lruce has it right generally as of why the interior wasn't included. The suggestion came up again when the map was at 75%, but i still felt it would be too risky in most aspects.

The very first concept of the map was funny though. Very hollywood too. I just saw a documentary about one of the actual russian soldiers that reached the Reichstag itself (the real soldier, not the staging soldier). He went in with a small group of 7 i think.

This made me think it might be a cool idea to let the final stage of the map play differently then we are used to. I modeled a design, in which after the final approach area was capped, the first russian to die at that point would get assigned to be the flag carrier on respawn. Yeah, i warned you, very Hollywood.
The russian team would have to make sure that flag carrier would be able to reach the main hall inside the Reichstag, while the German team would have to prevent that, defending from the side hallways and rooms. As soon as the russian flag carrier would hit the first hallway, the round would be won.

Don't tell me I didn't warn you ;)

Cheers

Upvote 0
That was also talked about - having a 'foyer' area as the last objective - there was some decent ref material for that - just a couple of black and white photos but enough to work from I think - just didn't have time for it and it became low priority

Thing about level designing is it's not necessarily what you put in the map, it's what you leave out

Lruce

Upvote 0
I think those postcards are pretty amazing to show how slow reconstruction was--even by 1947 it looks like nothing had been done to restore the area.

I hope that with the Unreal 3 engine, a new version of RO comes out that has a 10 sq km block around the Reichstag mapped, with seamless transitions between battle areas, that allow us to fight along the river, Moltke Bridge, train station, etc.

Also that I will have an Intel Mac that can boot into whatever OS steam is on when the next RO is out--Windows Vista 3.14156?

Upvote 0
krylosz said:
I know but it's possible that the ground elevatiosns haven't changed much, so I could guess it's position.

But back on topic. On german news channel N24 runs a documentary these days in endless repeat mode, about the fall of Berlin with many film snippets from those days, including a flyover of K

Upvote 0