• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Getting a little bored

I'm glad of the map changes in Ost Front. I got bloody sick of Berlin popping up all the time in Map vote. It'l be nicer to wait for the maps the Devs are working on to see what they come up with.

I also would like to see a server with maps that rotate without voting and only stick around for a max 2 plays. Get tired of playing the one map for upto 3 rounds. Personally, I'd be happier with only one map rounds before rotation but others might complain due to load times.

Upvote 0
Borat said:
And don't get me started on the new bayo stabs... stab, stab, stab, injury, stab, stab, stab... dead.

obvously havnt been playing enough with me borat! i think the melee system is alot better, sets it apart from a 'one hit kill' ... it was pretty much too effecient in the mod, but roost has it spot on. 1 charge, which takes what? like 2 secs to draw it back? in the chest and its a kill .. simple . :)

i mean you wont kill anyone poking it at some one will ya? gotta thrust :p

as for the maps.. i do miss koitos, rostov and warsaw tbh. but its good to see the devs have reconised the 'gap' :) just thinking about NEW maps the devs'll give us makes me all tingly !

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
First off: all new maps = high development cost in time and money, so, that wasn't an option. For a lot of players these 'old' babies would be first timer anyway. So we took what we thought were the best candidates for retail, out of the maps that were were ABLE to port (Danzig wasn't an option, and Jucha wasn't an option either. Both for different reasons, but we just couldn't port them even though we wanted to).

[Sarcasm mode on]
Secondly, i don't want to see the 'spam the alley with nades' box style maps return, or maps with silly objectives like:
- 'Capture this single hallway in this giant 'factory' shaped box in order to take an entire frigging building'.
- 'Sit near this tiny fountain to conquer an entire city square' type objectives and getting showered with nades while doing it making you loose the cap instead of having a straight firefight over it.
- Capture Berlin by capping objectives that are all on the edge of the map, like two strategically unimportant appartment buildings (one of which is -again- a long corridor mainly).

They were good designs for the MOD starting, but not retail style maps, which is logical.
[Sarcasm mode off]

On the other hand, the team likes to see more city style combat in the future too since we see the gap thats there, and Odessa didn't fill that gap quite, so... we'll be working on city enviroments for sure, but they do take some time to finish :)

If you want the old box designs back, port em if you wish or twist some poor mappers arm... there's nobody stopping you ;) And most of them can be recreated in a few days anyway :) Not that i'd want that, but like I said, nobody is stopping you :)
I didn't mean to sound offensive. I liked Kaukasus from day 1. It was my favourite in the mod. I just had hoped the retail would be more of a "break" with the mod. With all the new gameplay options, the new player animations and the new overall feeling. Kaukasus and Stalingradkessel just make me feel too much like playing the mod again.

Konigsplatz, besides all the criticism displayed here, is still my favourite.

Don't mean to sound rude, but I got the feeling many of the clan players like the chess-like, compact layout of maps like Sparta or Danzig or Koitos. That's understandable, because it's good for clan matches. DoD basically has every map built like that. But the majority of players here want to rather have a more realistic map layout and feeling and would sacrifice some balance and/or tactical options for that. Not that I think the old maps really had that. E.g. Sparta and Warsaw basically always played the same.

Upvote 0
Hmm, I kinda like Odessa.

I never played the previous mod version, so all of these maps are new to me. When the tools come out, more maps will be made.

I never was a fan of small scale fast paced city maps, something about them remind me of run'n'gun spray your smg as fast as you can...etc etc games. They (maps) would have to be creative for me to enjoy them, and yeah, I don't play COD2 because of the tiny city/town maps, or at least that is one reason. I am sure someone will make a few good small city maps.

I still prefer bigger rural maps, or rural/town combinations. I am sure they will be made also when the tools are released.:D

Upvote 0
Please dont take me for Mod>OST. I dont feel that way at all and think Ost is a big improvement in virtually every way.

However, even RO: Combined Arms focused heavily on infantry. With Ostfront we're seeing such a heavy mix of other play types that infantry players get pissed off when they have to play through 4 straight tank maps. I love the tank maps but only as a break from infantry. Now I know there is infantry only servers but they arent usually an option for me because there is only a small handful of servers where my ping doesnt shoot up to 130 (this happens with OST exclusively).

Right now Kessel and Kauk are my favorite maps but if i ever want to play them I have to sit through a bunch of tank maps. In the mod us clan guys and people who focused mainly on infantry were fed infantry map after infantry map and they were all awesome maps in their own right.

Spartakovka ranks as one of my all-time favorite maps of any game. Taking that factory was so memorable because everyone of the 16 on your team was fighting the 16 on the enemy team to get to the top of that factory and reign fire down. Now Im not in favor of linear maps but with only 32 players it was something special if done right. Steven had a point when he said that Sparta's nade spam alley was a memorable outcome of the design. That alley was hell but only a risky player or a jackass would run up into the fire. Besides you had two other routes to get around it. Plus it also made for some nice firefights in between the blaze of explosions and smoke.

Us "veterans" arent being nostalgic, we just loved the nonstop infantry firefights and tactical style that was more prevalent in the mod. Not to say that Ostfront isnt tactical but the large majority of maps in Ostfront make it harder to form a solid playstyle in pubs because of the larger maps.

The problem is that Ostfront just became more realistic in that it represents more epic battles and larger scale confrontations whereas the mod was like a Swat engagement ala CS but with the realism and historical accuracy of World War II. So while Ostfront is a major step up, it took away alot of the more focused battles that all of us "veterans" grew to love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
KrazyKraut said:
Don't mean to sound rude, but I got the feeling many of the clan players like the chess-like, compact layout of maps like Sparta or Danzig or Koitos. That's understandable, because it's good for clan matches. DoD basically has every map built like that. But the majority of players here want to rather have a more realistic map layout and feeling and would sacrifice some balance and/or tactical options for that. Not that I think the old maps really had that. E.g. Sparta and Warsaw basically always played the same.

Actually that feeling fits only for bad clan players. Because yes those maps layout is way more simplier than new maps have and that makes it easier to make solid tactics on them. It's their bad if they cant perceive new maps well enough and so get proper tactics for them. That's why clan matches may feel worse than before because you'r not controlling the totality that well and that's why it may feels like boring public play. It's all about are you willing to start from fresh and learn new things.

I also really really doubt that new maps are more linear than before. It's exact counterway. Especially if someone dares to rise ie. Spartakovka, Koitos or Warsaw over them. ie. Koitos yes it's having multiple re-capable capping zones. But they'r very tiny so the way how you'r solving(capping/defending) them it's always quite same and in general map layout is also quite tiny and tight so there's not so many "tweaks" to do. It was maby one of the most boring map for me. It was just run-cap-gun. No offence but it suited well for automatic-nobrainer n00bs :D Sure it was funny to get 300 points once in a while but with longer run it gives nothing. It had poor layout in tactical way and also in visual/logical way. Too bad majority liked CS-like maps. :( ... and one thing I gotta say! It was definately NOT LAPLAND like it was ment to! That Finn who made it disgraces our country!

Luckily OST's new line for maps suited much better for my desire. :cool: Too bad for CS-map diggers :p

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
Please dont take me for Mod>OST. I dont feel that way at all and think Ost is a big improvement in virtually every way.

However, even RO: Combined Arms focused heavily on infantry. With Ostfront we're seeing such a heavy mix of other play types that infantry players get pissed off when they have to play through 4 straight tank maps. I love the tank maps but only as a break from infantry. Now I know there is infantry only servers but they arent usually an option for me because there is only a small handful of servers where my ping doesnt shoot up to 130 (this happens with OST exclusively).

Right now Kessel and Kauk are my favorite maps but if i ever want to play them I have to sit through a bunch of tank maps. In the mod us clan guys and people who focused mainly on infantry were fed infantry map after infantry map and they were all awesome maps in their own right.

Spartakovka ranks as one of my all-time favorite maps of any game. Taking that factory was so memorable because everyone of the 16 on your team was fighting the 16 on the enemy team to get to the top of that factory and reign fire down. Now Im not in favor of linear maps but with only 32 players it was something special if done right. Steven had a point when he said that Sparta's nade spam alley was a memorable outcome of the design. That alley was hell but only a risky player or a jackass would run up into the fire. Besides you had two other routes to get around it. Plus it also made for some nice firefights in between the blaze of explosions and smoke.

Us "veterans" arent being nostalgic, we just loved the nonstop infantry firefights and tactical style that was more prevalent in the mod. Not to say that Ostfront isnt tactical but the large majority of maps in Ostfront make it harder to form a solid playstyle in pubs because of the larger maps.

The problem is that Ostfront just became more realistic in that it represents more epic battles and larger scale confrontations whereas the mod was like a Swat engagement ala CS but with the realism and historical accuracy of World War II. So while Ostfront is a major step up, it took away alot of the more focused battles that all of us "veterans" grew to love.

Amen!

Upvote 0
Cptn_Miller said:
Steven was prob one of those mad ppsh'rs running like a chicken with his head cut off mowing down everything.........amen that is gone as well as the nade fest maps :D

The first 10 mins or so of odessa (apartments) is very intense cqb !! more so than any map in the old mod imo.

nope stevens not :p and i wud blame it on the maps but steven and i we're playin a trench map on the mod that was massive and very open (id never played it b4) but it felt great :D both as rifle men....

i still cnt figure out wat exactly it is

CaptRio said:

yep double amen :p

Upvote 0
Cptn_Miller said:
Steven was prob one of those mad ppsh'rs running like a chicken with his head cut off mowing down everything.........amen that is gone as well as the nade fest maps :D

The first 10 mins or so of odessa (apartments) is very intense cqb !! more so than any map in the old mod imo.

1 part of 1 map out of 13 :p
You can see maybe the issue? :p

And you can still run around madly mowing people down, and you can still rambo, and you can still throw nade after nade.

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:

There's no reason RO-Ostfront can't be both things and therefore attract all kinds of players. Tight city maps are coming, CQB fury will ensue.

Upvote 0
Zetsumei said:
its not only close combat maps we're feeling a lack of its basically the whole range of infantry maps probably. OF the 13 maps in ostfront only 4 a real infantry maps. In the mod 90% was pure infantry :p.
I'm one of those freaks who likes both infantry and tanking and am proficient at both, so I never have to "skip" a map that doesn't suit me....they all suit me.

Upvote 0
It's the people.

I know in making that statement there will be some offended people, but in my opinion... it's true, I totally agree with spraduke. I dont think it's the maps, or any of the new features, but rather a lot of new people... spread out over several servers.

So what you have is 3/4 of the players in any given server not knowing what to do, or not caring about the main focus, which is winning maps, and you have like 20 out of 28 people deathmatching.

Back in the day (feels funny to say that) on any given weeknight we'd have 2 to 3 full servers... full of people who understood the game. Servers packed with veteran clan members, and skilled non-clan members. When I log in now, I can find maybe 2 veterans at a time on a server.

It gets frustrating, and suprise--BORING, when you are one of three guys in a full server actually communicating and going for the objectives, while everyone else sits back and plays deathmatch. Since there isnt the mass gathering of vets anymore, the magic is gone.

I'm not trying to slam new players at all, dont take it that way, I'm not the all knowing RO player, but I am holding hope for a time where the majority of players have a better understanding of how this game is to be approached.

This is not a close-quarters deathmatch or a long distance tank plinking game. There are objectives involved, and you cannot achieve those objectives without the cooperation of your entire team.

(on a side note--- even though I think the level designers might disagree with me, we need maps with recappable objectives. Any way you look at it, it takes more coordination to win a map with recappables than one without.)

So until the new players evolve (for the lack of a better word), I think the type of matches we are used to will be most exclusively clan battles and ladder play. Pubs will remain this way for awhile.

Upvote 0
REZ said:
It's the people.

I know in making that statement there will be some offended people, but in my opinion... it's true, I totally agree with spraduke. I dont think it's the maps, or any of the new features, but rather a lot of new people... spread out over several servers.

So what you have is 3/4 of the players in any given server not knowing what to do, or not caring about the main focus, which is winning maps, and you have like 20 out of 28 people deathmatching.

Back in the day (feels funny to say that) on any given weeknight we'd have 2 to 3 full servers... full of people who understood the game. Servers packed with veteran clan members, and skilled non-clan members. When I log in now, I can find maybe 2 veterans at a time on a server.

It gets frustrating, and suprise--BORING, when you are one of three guys in a full server actually communicating and going for the objectives, while everyone else sits back and plays deathmatch. Since there isnt the mass gathering of vets anymore, the magic is gone.

I'm not trying to slam new players at all, dont take it that way, I'm not the all knowing RO player, but I am holding hope for a time where the majority of players have a better understanding of how this game is to be approached.

This is not a close-quarters deathmatch or a long distance tank plinking game. There are objectives involved, and you cannot achieve those objectives without the cooperation of your entire team.

(on a side note--- even though I think the level designers might disagree with me, we need maps with recappable objectives. Any way you look at it, it takes more coordination to win a map with recappables than one without.)

So until the new players evolve (for the lack of a better word), I think the type of matches we are used to will be most exclusively clan battles and ladder play. Pubs will remain this way for awhile.

then how do we bring the DM player to the light side?

Also once the SDK comes out there will tank servers and infantry only servers since there will be more maps for each.

Upvote 0
I see a divided player base already. personally, I don't touch the infantry-only servers for fear of breaking my keyboard when my head hits it after I fall into a deep coma. :cool: yet, the infantry-only servers do keep a rather strong level of player numbers going on them. I swear everytime I look at one of the more "famous" infantry only servers (ryhmes with "bell"), it's playing odessa. :eek:

OTOH, there are many decently populated servers that are Tank/CA maps only. they too have a decenbt follwing.

The last group, say the server that runs all maps, has server population in peaks and valleys, as people come and go. it's wierd.

BTW, many of us got tired of the small, "quick", urban maps ala CoD/CoD2. B O R I N G. put some of those in, and you'll do some nice damage to the player base. it's like wow, who can point and click their mouse faster? that's tons of fun. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
REZ said:
It's the people.

I mentioned in another thread the very same thing "it's all in who you play with/against that detemines the fun/challenge". Like you said once alot of new players get good, public servers will become more "interesting". What I do is if I find myself on a server with nothing but clueless new guys who have yet to get a grasp on things i'll just disconnect and find a server with alot of vets or "clued in" new guys.

Upvote 0