• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

1944D-Day

masasa

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2005
Finland
EDIT: This is not a mod for HL2 or mod for BF2. This is a a full commercial game. The mods are another project which the devs use to test their ideas and way of implementing things.

Game homepage:
http://www.1944d-day.com/

FAQ:
http://www.1944d-day.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Yet another WW2 fps you wonder? No, this game has far more to offer than simple fps experience. This game will be the next big thing. It will capture the events of 1944D-Day in so detailed manner, that it will blow your mind away. Literally, you most likely think that games like these are not even possible to make yet.

In short(It is so huge I don't know where to start):

It simulates the environment(Normandy), all the units and all the mission objectives of D-Day and then gives the player an option to jump in and be any of the soldiers(all the countries included), tank drivers, glider pilots, french resistance members...he wants to be and then participate to the event by playing this role.

It doesn't simulate the exact happenings of D-Day, but it simulates the exact starting positions and exact times when things started happening. Then when the game starts, everything starts to happen based on the units and their objectives and players actions. So things might go like they went in the real thing, but they can also go totally different(germans might win and push the Allies back).

So basically it allowes you to participate this huge operation while everything is happening around you even if you wouldn't do anything.

Lets go over the features:

- In short I could just say: It has almost everything that real life has and everything works like in real life(of course understanding the limitations of controls and the fact that it is still a game).

- Whole normandy is in the game(160x160km). No loading times between.
- All the units that participated in the operation(250 000 units). AI controls them all in real time based on the orders what the units have. It is mind blowing, I know.
- Graphics: Everything you can hope for. Check out the faq.
- REALISM.
- Some uber new AI system.
- Too many things...It has everything you can imagine(ok the player can't use the toilet).
- It has singleplayer and multiplayer. Multiplayer is like singleplayer but more people can join in and take a role. Player limit is about 128-256, might get higher when they develop the game further.

Tech:

- Reality Engine(much like Unreal Engine 3).
- SpeedTree
-Ageia/Novodex physics.

Now you think that this is too good to be true. I know, it sounds like it, but it is the real deal. Of course the game will not be released in near future. But the game is progressing. As proof...they start taking applications to Open Beta on the 1st of May...might want to check that out.

Last edited:
I've been an alpha-tester for the mod since it was revealed to the public and I've also done some other stuff for the mod and yes, it will definately live up to what is promised. I can't speak for the full game, but knowing the talent of the people making it I think that it will be something really special.

The HL2 mod is in alpha testing and it's already looking great. I'm not aware of a full release date/nor could I tell you, but I'm sure it's not too far off <;)

Upvote 0
Ok, I edited the original post a little bit. I did it 1:30 am.

This game is singleplayer and multiplayer. The multiplayer is the same like singleplayer, but more people can jump in the game and take a place they want in the operation.

I think that the player limit is not fully decided yet, they will aim for 128-256 players. That figure might get up when they develop the game further.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
masasa said:
Ok, I edited the original post a little bit. I did it 1:30 am.

This game is singleplayer and multiplayer. The multiplayer is the same like singleplayer, but more people can jump in the game and take a place they want in the operation.

I think that the player limit is not fully decided yet, they will aim for 128-256 players. That figure might get up when they develop the game further.

Only 256 is not that much for such a huge area. You'd have to walk for hours before you stumble upon **** to shoot ;)

Unless they add AI of course...

Upvote 0
Im a programmer, so I tend to be far more realistic than a designer or CEO/Web Designer.

I say 128 and 256 simply because I know i can handle that at this point in time. The MP system is completely scaleable, so if you were to increase the servers, you could increase the numbers to potentially 512 or so. Realistically I will stick with my original figure of 128 - 256 as I have tested that and I know it works. (You only need to go to gamedev.net and look at any MMORPG post, thats the last thing I want to be asscociated with)

With regards to the MP, the server itself will run the AI simulation and feed out only what the player needs to know, the packet sizes at the moment are fairly light weight. So the MP game essentially becomes the SP game but run on the server.

To keep things interesting we have added server controls, so the owner of the server can set up zones in which players can only play in. This can limit players to a 10x10km area (This depends on the person who sets up the server)

The simple idea behind this is by narrowing the area a bit, players will more likely encounter other players. As opposed to playing online against AI units only. This also gives the flexibility to clans who are only interested in particular areas/scenarios they can easily configure the servers to match what they need.

Another point that I would like to clear up, is that the AI is simulating 250,000 units, that doent mean they are all on screen. The most units a player is likely two see would be between 16 - 36. While there are instances where a player may see more (beach landings), field hospitals or other areas where units would group. Out in the field, in combat, most units will only ever see their own squad and perhaps a few other men here and there. Soldiers tend to keep their heads down to stay alive.

The HL2 mod, will not feature 250,000 units, nor will it feature vehicles or large areas. It was a tech test by us to see what we could do with the engine, and we decided to continue on a little and implement the fullgames new content into it.

The full game is our main focus and this is what the beta signup will be for. Any questions feel free to ask, we have a Q&A section over at our forums, as well as a large FAQ built up by existing members.

We are looking for around 128 - 256 players if your interested.

Cheers
Ronan

Upvote 0
-=OTR=-Pfc.Jackson said:
Hope you guys like the FAQ, we spent a lot of time into it.

The mulitplayer game will not be the 160km by 160km map. It will be the same map, but limited to a smaller area (5km by 5km ?) so people won't be 50 miles away. I believe the server admin can pick the location/time, etc

Yeap mate sounds almost like a dream, but i didnt find system requirments (or im blind) anyway could somebody add the sysreq in this forum as well.:)

Upvote 0
I have a few machines that Im testing on.

2.8 gig
512 ram
Geforce 6800 128 AGP

Works relatively ok on that, can get sluggish at time, but thats due to harddrive swaps

I also have a Dual Core machine, 4 gigs of ram and 7800 which works very well in debug mode.

I dont want to finalise system specs until closer to release. Simply because if I set the Specs now, we are forcing ourselves to a particular hardware set, which at this point would be silly.

ATI 9700 and 9800 cards also work fairly well as do the FX series of Geforce (fx cant use the shaders so things can look far darker)

Upvote 0
ninjaBob said:
I have a few machines that Im testing on.

2.8 gig
512 ram
Geforce 6800 128 AGP

Works relatively ok on that, can get sluggish at time, but thats due to harddrive swaps

I also have a Dual Core machine, 4 gigs of ram and 7800 which works very well in debug mode.

I dont want to finalise system specs until closer to release. Simply because if I set the Specs now, we are forcing ourselves to a particular hardware set, which at this point would be silly.

ATI 9700 and 9800 cards also work fairly well as do the FX series of Geforce (fx cant use the shaders so things can look far darker)
So there is hope with my pc then :D
3.2Ghz
1gig ram(400mhz)
GeForce6600GT(256)
I'll keep my eye on this game.

Upvote 0
Now this looks like its shaping up to be a great game. I really hope the AI turns out to be as good as its talked about, heck, i may even sign up on the forums to try an get on the beta.

P4 2.8 ghz
1 gig of ram
Radeon 9600XT

I think i read somthing about good spec PC's in the beta thread, but you should also test midrange computers too. Atleast i think mine counts as midrange. Hopefully I'm not low end :D

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
Seems way too ambitious to be true. If you can actually pull it off it will blow everything else away.

Are there any screens of the game on the Reality engine?

I took this from here: http://forums.insurgencymod.net/index.php?showtopic=9147&st=10

NinjaBob:

"When we finalise the demo, there will be more than enough videos, screenshots and players to back up the claims. Working with Ageia at the moment on destructable buildings and making them efficient in hardware and software mode. So we cant release screenshots until all parties are happy."

Upvote 0