• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shouldering Weapon Discussion (Merged Threads)

That is completely unrealistic, if you have ever fired a ww2 firearm, you know darn well to have that thing secured on your shoulder before firing, that is unless you want a busted shoulder. And if you are going to do that, why use the sights? It would have kicked the sh** out of your shoulder. I don't want it in the game.

Upvote 0
I've fired many of the weapons from the game, and I own a few from them. While firing one of the mosin-nagant carbine all day with full powered loads can give you a nice sore shoulder (even with proper technique), I really don't think I could seriously injure myself just by holding it carelessly while firing. In any case firing before you have a good hold and getting a sore shoulder is much less painful and life threatening than firing too slow and taking a bullet.

Besides, if you can fire the weapon while holding it in your hands with no shoulder support whatsoever, why can't you fire while raising it? It's not any less support then you would get firing with the gun lowered and at your side, as is the default non-ironsight position.

Upvote 0
Kurtz said:
I've fired many of the weapons from the game, and I own a few from them. While firing one of the mosin-nagant carbine all day with full powered loads can give you a nice sore shoulder (even with proper technique), I really don't think I could seriously injure myself just by holding it carelessly while firing.

If you can fire the weapon while holding it in your hands with no shoulder support whatsoever, why can't you fire while raising it? It's not any less support then you would get firing with the gun lowered and at your side, as is the default non-ironsight position.
THis post might count as a bug?

Upvote 0
The recoil forces have to go somewhere if you want to hold onto the gun. If you fire a rifle in reality just holding it with your hands then your hands and arms absorb the recoil.

Also, I would not really care if I got kicked in the shoulder with a steel butt plate, if it meant not getting shot.

Upvote 0
A lot of you guys should actually get ahold of a rifle, get some shooting done and then maybe do close quarters airsoft / paintball. No, its not real, but it gives you a sense of the pace of close quarters. When you're talking of ranges under 20 meters and especially when talking of indoor ranges, soldiers are NOT going to look through their sights. They are going to use a high ready stance where their weapons are firmly against their shoulders and pointed in the direction of the enemy, holding their heads slightly above and to the left of the iron sights for better visibility and quicker actions, and aiming based on where approximately their barrels are pointed. You can hit a man-sized target that way at about 15 meters with ease, without having to use the iron sights.

While in RO you have the choise of hip firing and iron sights firing, which is unrealistic. Hip firing its difficult to hit even at a hand-to-hand combat range due to the overly exaggerated "freeaim" while in the real life hitting a man at five meters or less would be RIDICULOUSLY EASY.

You might say then that well if you made it so then the guy with quicker reactions and faster point and click skills won every time. Well, there's realistic CQC for you. The guys with quick reactions and decent accuracy live, others don't.

Despite standing out from the crowd with somewhat more realism, the RO method is still highly unrealistic. The freeaim is exaggerated and should be reduced by at least one third for both realism and for better gameplay (as in no running in circles for 30 seconds trying to hit each other with bolt actions at a range of two meters).

Upvote 0
I agree.
currently 'nades are a better CQB weapon than the firearms and you see this in game all the time; players in close-in fighting will just drop a 'nade and sprint away from the enemy instead of trying to shoot them because there "too close" to use a firearm effectively. the left hand (when throwing a 'nade) acts just like a cross hair but you don't have the slow movement of being in iron-sight mode. so by the time the shooter raises his iron sights the nade dropper has dropped his 'nade sprinted away around the corner. not too realistic. if there were different speeds for going into iron-sights mode or different moving speeds when in iron-sight mode that would help. i.e an mp40 would shoulder faster than a kar and while in iron sight mode the sub-machine guns should allow a faster movement speed. right now CQB is really funny to watch and reminds me of those dreams where your legs don't work.

ps. i play airsoft whenever i can with the Minnesota Airsoft Assoc. and most people just walk their shots onto the target with the weapon raised but not using the sights, which i bet you could do with a low recoil weapon like an mp40.

Upvote 0
Two-stage sighting

Two-stage sighting

Here's an idea...

1. Player hits IS button
2. Weapon comes to shoulder more or less centered, pointed in a slightly random direction...you can now fire
3. Players eyes move toward correct alignment

The result being that for snap-shooting, you can quickly shoulder to fire, but you get pseudo-conefire (actually use the free-aim system, just that the freeaim box contracts over the interval from 2 to 3) so you can't just tap out super-fast aimed shots (screen marking is bad kids), BUT you also don't have that infuriating delay between when you hit the button for IS and when you can fire.

Upvote 0
[CiA]Stiletto said:
Here's an idea...

1. Player hits IS button
2. Weapon comes to shoulder more or less centered, pointed in a slightly random direction...you can now fire
3. Players eyes move toward correct alignment

The result being that for snap-shooting, you can quickly shoulder to fire, but you get pseudo-conefire (actually use the free-aim system, just that the freeaim box contracts over the interval from 2 to 3) so you can't just tap out super-fast aimed shots (screen marking is bad kids), BUT you also don't have that infuriating delay between when you hit the button for IS and when you can fire.

I think that this might make aiming more complicated than it should be...
I like the idea alot because it is an improvement on something that people to get hastled by...however, this might make persice aiming slower...
Sure it will allow faster shouldering..but then you have another step to do befor you are able to bright it up fully to IS... (at least thats what i understand from your post).
Do you are anyone else have any comments to make on this issue?
Personally i dont have much problem with the shouldering time...when ever i get in a posistion that requires me to make an urgent shot, such as when an enemy comes around the corner, i just get up close to him and shoot from the hip...that or i stab the punk. lol

Upvote 0
I like the idea. I play as an assault trooper as often as I'm able. I can't count the number of times that I've been killed trying to get to ironsights. Did I take my finger off the trigger to shoulder?

"Daddy? Why don't my fingers work?"... hehehe

But seriously, I think if one messed about with the timing of these two actions, Shouldering and Sighting, a very believable and natural feel could be added to going into ironsights.

The game is plenty playable as it is, but this would be a welcome addition from this assault trooper's point of view.

Upvote 0
Good idea. This could be the "random" element in RO aiming.

"This would make precise aiming slower". Indeed it might, but it would affect everybody similarly, so no drastic imbalance could occur.

The only problem I see with this is that it mainly affects assault troopers. Those lying down in the ditch camping away have all the time in the world to adjust their IS to the right spot. I don't know if movement should be compromised any more as it is now with those one-kill laser guns that people are shooting.

Upvote 0
I think it's a pretty good idea but the process of having to probably click the mouse button twice to get into precise aim sounds a little haunting.

However don't know if this would work but I think it would allow for this idea to still work:

CLICK AND HOLD R MOUSE BUTTON DOWN=shoulder to fire, releasing mouse button brings gun back to hip stance.

CLICKING R MOUSE BUTTON=Ironsights.

I figured that usually when you run into that one guy that rounds that corner you have more of a tendancy to mash on the keys/buttons, so I think it might feel more natural to want to hold the button down to get those shots off.

Upvote 0
I don't mean hit the IS button twice: I mean it actually goes through a process like real life where you shoulder, the gun's not quite pointed where you want it to point/your face isn't quite lined up with the sights, and over a short interval of time the sight picture centers and stabilizes. So for those close-range snapshots, that oh-so-infuriating delay between hitting IS and being able to fire is drastically reduced (FFS, if I need to shoot something, I won't wait until I have a perfect sight picture).

Upvote 0
I thought that's what your were getting at but wasn't quite sure. So basically having the ability to fire as the sites are being brought up. Well in that case yeah it should definitely work, maybe it hasn't been incorporated because problems with the actual hip-IS animation? It just seems like a feature that the devs would have considered, right? I for one, am getting sick of seeing and doing the two step shuffle as I raise the sights up, lol.

Upvote 0
Ability to shoot as your raising ironsights

Ability to shoot as your raising ironsights

Currently, its incredibly annoying if your in the middle of a firefight and if you bring up your rifle/SMG it interupts the shooting. I think you should be able to continue shooting as you bring up your ironsights.

Upvote 0