• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Complete freezes/lock-ups

Okay, so, it's definitely a windows/driver conflict/software conflict issue.

I've installed a second Win2kSP4 install on my hard drive, installed the same video drivers and the same sound drivers, plus Steam and XFire. And I can play RO:O with no problems at all. No freeze-ups or anything. (Interesting note: My framerate was crap and I had all sorts of strange visual artifacts before I remembered to install my AGP driver. I need to remember to recommend that in the other threads...)

So, clearly my problem is some sort of a conflict with *something* else in my primary windows install. So, at the very least, I appear to have found a workaround. Is there a chance that you could try the same thing, to see if your problem is with Windows/driver conflict/something too?

So yeah. I'm content. For the moment. But I'll still be trying to stabalise my primary Win2kSP4 install, what with its archaic file structure, treasure trove of outdated drivers, and many-times-wiped (and only half-heartedly restored) registry. Is there any sort of software which could cause RO:O to bork? I'm having a similar problem with Project Visitor, too, so I think that it may be related...

-AGT

Upvote 0
And one more thing I want to add is that even if the GPU doesn't overheat it can still be a heating problem. The memory on a graphics can overheat as well. Specially if you have a stock fan on the card.
For those who don't have 2 left hands check the inside of your computer for dust and creepy crawlers.
My system looked like a regular zoo once. Things actually moved around in it without the computer being turned on...
Specially system memory, north/southbridge chips/fans and graphics card memory can collect heaps of dust. This dust interferes with the cooling of certain parts of your system.

Buy some liquid air or maybe you know it as air in a bottle and give your computer a good blowout (if you do find a lot of dust).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
radix said:
This screenshots are looking like your GPU Memory is damaged or overclocked. UE engine is very sesitive to overclockings.
Nothing OCd, nothing damaged. Running at stock 500GPU / 900RAM

Can run AA:SF just fine all night which also uses the UE2.5 engine and here's the thing: i can run RO 1000, which i still have unpacked from the .gcf files on my HD also just fine. The only time i got anything resembling a short freezeup was when i added 30 bots to my offline game but that lasted maybe half a second if not less and afterwards i had tiny artifacts on a few textures (see screenshots) which were gone after a "flush" command in console and game ran just fine without any hiccups. If i type "flush" in console on RO 1001 after a freeze up (if i get the chance and it doesnt crash or BSOD) and lots of artifacts, they dont dissappear, it only makes them vary some or worse

http://www.1armee.com/bilder1/shot10.JPG
http://www.1armee.com/bilder1/shot11.JPG

I also did the msconfig thing with DHCP checked and diagnostic start and RO 1001 froze the same as always on empty map, same reference spot on ogledow as in my earlier post btw.

Could it be..packed..unpacked..caching...steamdrv.sys or whatever?..okok, i didn't say anything :rolleyes:

ps. Teamspeak was not running during both tests with RO1000 & RO1001, just in case....
ps2. AGP drivers installed for nforce2 chipset supplied by nvidia.com this time / previous w2k on old comp had SiS735 chipset and appropriate AGP drivers installed as well

Last edited:
Upvote 0
kAMIKAZE said:
Hi reg.24,

Are you using Zone Alarm? If so, in Zone Alarm you need to set Red Orchestra's permissions to allow in both server and access. Another option is to run Red Orchestra in windowed mode. Running in windowed mode will allow you to see the Zone Alarm pop-up asking for permission to allow Red Orchestra access to the Internet.

Hi kAMIKAZE

No ZoneAlert installed, only Norton IntSec. But thanks for the feedback. The thing is that the game works fine in singleplayer but locks uo7freezes totally when I choose MP. I've tried uninstalling, deleting, adding, etc.. MAybe I'm just screwed. Should have gone to a bar and started drinking the $ 25 up instead.
Ah well ....I'll sit tight and wait for a new patch.

Thanks for the reply/help

Upvote 0
Hm, I don't even have to enter a game proper it seems.

I just open RO and stare at the Menu for about 30-45 secs and the same appears, freeze and stuff. Seems that loading a map and getting into game just delays the inevitable...

I need watson to log whats happening but so far no luck, it's being set as standard debugger already but it's not giving me anything. How do i go about that? If i wait for anything more serious to happen after about 3x 20-30 sec freezes with maybe 10-20 secs delay in between it's rebooting already

btw. i deactivated a process called nvsvc32.exe, belonging to nvidia, already since its been reported to cause similar errors in some cases - no luck
completely uninstalled my Avira AntiVir - same
reverted to SBLive WDM drivers through rollback and drivercleaner - no luck
going back to older nvidia drivers (81.85 WHQL) from 84.25/84.43 - nothing
freshly extracted System directory for RO 1001 cept for user.ini, all else being vanilla - same old

processes running are:
devldr32.exe
ctfmon.exe
taskmgr.exe (ok, since i'm copying processes off its list right now)
firefox.exe (obvious as well since im posting)
svchost.exe x6
Steam.exe
netmon.exe
command.exe
spoolsv.exe
Explorer.EXE
Smc.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
SMSS.exe
System

I don't feel like testing anymore today since the constant hard resets caused by it are starting to screw up my other, more important, software installed (Office etc) w/ lost clusters and so forth..tomorrow probably some more

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Guys,

If you did the hardware check and still get the freeze ups and you also did the msconfig and still get the freeze ups.

There is one thing remaining driver conflict. Here is an example:

Say you installed Zone Alarm. Zone Alarm loads a driver called vsdatant.sys on bootup of Windows. Vsdatant.sys has a conflict with Steam/Red Orchestra. To run Red Orchestra, you need to stop vsdatant.sys from loading on bootup. Msconfig can't do this. You either need to uninstall Zone Alarm or stop the loading of vsdatant.sys from the registry.

The example above is only for Zone Alarm. What about other programs installed on your computer that loads drivers on bootup that we still don't know has a conflict with Steam/Red Orchestra?

We need to find out which drivers are loaded on your computer. Find out which program is responsible on each driver and uninstall each program and see if the freeze ups disappears.

There is a program that you can use to check the drivers loaded on your computer.
  1. Log on to Windows with administrative privileges.
  2. Go to this link http://www.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorerNt.zip and download ProcessExplorerNt.zip. Unzip it and copy its contents in your hard drive.
  3. Go to the folder where you copied the contents of the zip file and open procexp.exe.
  4. In Process Explorer, click System in Process window. Then look at the bottom window, it lists the drivers (files with .sys extension name) loaded on the system.
  5. List down the drivers loaded on the system that are not from Microsoft, Valve, Nvidia, ATI, Parallel Technologies or does not list the Company Name responsible for the driver.
  6. Find out which program is responsible for the driver by using google to search for the driver name.
  7. Once you find out which program is responsible for the driver, uninstall the program.
  8. Reboot your computer.
  9. Run Red Orchestra and see if the freeze ups disappear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
kAMIKAZE said:
Guys,

If you did the hardware check and still get the freeze ups and you also did the msconfig and still get the freeze ups.

There is one thing remaining driver conflict. Here is an example:

Say you installed Zone Alarm. Zone Alarm loads a driver called vsdatant.sys on bootup of Windows. Vsdatant.sys has a conflict with Steam/Red Orchestra. To run Red Orchestra, you need to stop vsdatant.sys from loading on bootup. Msconfig can't do this. You either need to uninstall Zone Alarm or stop the loading of vsdatant.sys from the registry.

The example above is only for Zone Alarm. What about other programs installed on your computer that loads drivers on bootup that we still don't know has a conflict with Steam/Red Orchestra?

We need to find out which drivers are loaded on your computer. Find out which program is responsible on each driver and uninstall each program and see if the freeze ups disappears.

There is a program that you can use to check the drivers loaded on your computer.
  1. Log on to Windows with administrative privileges.
  2. Go to this link http://www.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorerNt.zip and download ProcessExplorerNt.zip. Unzip it and copy its contents in your hard drive.
  3. Go to the folder where you copied the contents of the zip file and open procexp.exe.
  4. In Process Explorer, click System in Process pane. Then look at the bottom pane, it lists the drivers loaded on the system.
  5. List down the drivers loaded on the system that are not from Microsoft, Valve, Nvidia, ATI or does not list the Company Name responsible for the driver.
  6. Find out which program is responsible for the driver by using google to search for the driver name.
  7. Once you find out which program is responsible for the driver, uninstall the program.
  8. Reboot your computer.
  9. Run Red Orchestra and see if the freeze ups disappear.

alright...i'll see what i can come up with this way.

other option is to install a fresh windows on 2nd hard drive but i detest the mere thought of doing that tbh but i will try...

Upvote 0
Code:
Process    PID    CPU    Description    Company Name
System Idle Process    0    96.00        
 Interrupts    n/a        Hardware Interrupts    
 DPCs    n/a        Deferred Procedure Calls    
 System    4            
  SMSS.EXE    332        Windows NT-Sitzungs-Manager    Microsoft Corporation
   CSRSS.EXE    392            
   WINLOGON.EXE    416        Windows NT-Anmeldung    Microsoft Corporation
    SERVICES.EXE    460        Anwendung f

Upvote 0
Code:
System Idle Process    0    93.00        
 Interrupts    n/a    1.00    Hardware Interrupts    
 DPCs    n/a        Deferred Procedure Calls    
 System    4            
  SMSS.EXE    324        Windows NT-Sitzungs-Manager    Microsoft Corporation
   CSRSS.EXE    384    1.00        
   WINLOGON.EXE    408        Windows NT-Anmeldung    Microsoft Corporation
    SERVICES.EXE    452    3.00    Anwendung f

Upvote 0
Ok, it doesnt show up until after you check "DLL" in Lower Pane View.

Here is whats running/loaded:

Code:
System Idle Process    0    95.00        
 Interrupts    n/a    1.00    Hardware Interrupts    
 DPCs    n/a    1.00    Deferred Procedure Calls    
 System    4            
  SMSS.EXE    332        Windows NT-Sitzungs-Manager    Microsoft Corporation
   CSRSS.EXE    392            
   WINLOGON.EXE    416        Windows NT-Anmeldung    Microsoft Corporation
    SERVICES.EXE    460        Anwendung f

Upvote 0