• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shouldering Weapon Discussion (Merged Threads)

Here's an example of 3 different rifle/SMG positions for different actions of the soldier.....

ro.JPG

Upvote 0
Iori Branford said:
No offense, but some of you guys with your silly ideas for extra buttons and button presses...like there aren't enough to remember already. I say again: while standing still, you should automatically shoulder and your gun should not cant when you turn.
Extra buttons who said that? :shock:

You are turning this whole idea upside down, you only have to get battle ready by tap your fire button once, like in Hidden & Dangerous 2.

This is gameplay much easier to use (easy realism), it's more realistic (haven't seen any hip-glued-rifles yet.) and it looks human.

Atm, they all look like they are bayonet charging eachother... :D
It should be different, it such be like IRL.

Upvote 0
SgtH3nry3 said:
Walking shouldered?

Nah, you could better walk with your gun like the guy on the left in this picture: (idling mode)
iraq-3%20soldiers.jpg

If you tap the fire key, you'll suddenly go in to fire ready position like the right guy. (weapon shouldered)
This will shoulder you rifle.

Now you can fire your gun, but you can also go into ironsights mode like the guy in the middle... (ironsight mode)

This looks, certainly feels more realistic than RO's current hipshooting system.
Basically you replace the current system:
  • Hipshoot-mode
  • Ironsight-mode
With this:
  • Idle mode (weapon next to your chest aiming slightly down towards the ground, used in sprinting mode)
  • Shouldering mode (weapon shouldered, used in normal walk and run)
  • Ironsight mode (aiming through ironsights, you are able to run, but it decreases your accuracy to crap-level)
That's pretty much like DOD does it. And it's a good system imo.

Upvote 0
CaptRanger said:
Like I said in another thread, you are comparing apples to bowling balls when you use modern infantry, to what is trying to be simulated in RO. Not only are the weapons different, but squad training and fire sectors were not taught in the same way as it is now.
I know, but Ihaven't seen any pictures of the Easternfront where soldiers are carrying their rifles hipped.
Unless they are attacking with bayonets of course...

Upvote 0
Well since we can't show either a soldier moving with a gun at the hip, or moving with a gun at the shoulder, then why not just implement something that just looks, feels, and shoots better? One reason I bought the game is because I was a previous DoD player. I felt like DoD was SO close to what I hoped for, but they ruined some realism aspects because they didn't feel it was important.

For example, I love how the DoD system works. You crouch for less recoil and you prone for even less recoil (bipod has no recoil at all). You stop to sharpen your accuracy, and while you are running, you can hit anything for ****. However, I had a HUGE problem with the way they had to use the "cone of fire" nonsense, and had random shots within that cone of fire. Accuracy was just adjusted through enlarging or shrinking the cone of fire. I always wanted something where it was your fault for for shooting off target instead of some calculation randomization.

RO takes that into account. You shoot whereever your gun is (at least I hope so). But the way that they only have only two stance options (hipping and IS) is too restricting and linear, there should be more variety which would add more immersiveness and it'll just look better.

Upvote 0
SgtH3nry3 said:
Mosin%20Nagant%20-%20M44%20And%20DP%20LMG%20In%20Berlin%201945.jpg

It isn't really shouldered (more like semi-ironisght, semi-shouldered) but I couldn't find much pictures or Russian soldiers in WW2 at all.
That looks like he is scanning for targets, so he's not really using his IS at all. The reason he's keeping his gun up like that is so he can quickly go to IS view if a target appears. He isn't going to take a quick "shouldered" shot.

But, I agree with the fact that another view should be added for immersiveness. It does seem linear as it is now. What I'd suggest is for smg's to be only fired from the hip or IS, because I'm almost positive that is how they would have been used in urban warfare. Rifles, on the other hand, should have a "shouldered" type view for quick, lower-accuracy shots.

Upvote 0
CaptRanger said:
But, I agree with the fact that another view should be added for immersiveness. It does seem linear as it is now. What I'd suggest is for smg's to be only fired from the hip or IS, because I'm almost positive that is how they would have been used in urban warfare. Rifles, on the other hand, should have a "shouldered" type view for quick, lower-accuracy shots.
Well that's fair enough I guess.

It really looks quite strange to see a soldier walking with a hipped rifle.

Upvote 0
Yes, crosshairs would be a real pain, but I doubt the devs would include any chrosshair ;)

But the picture above explains the "shouldering" pretty well. Imagine the left soldier holding his weapon like that, just the butt against his shoulders and maybe slowly walking. At that height of the gun could lower his "cone of fire" compared to "hip-shooting" but keep a rather good intuitive aim or quick chance to use the IS. (Don't misunderstand me, I dont think there is or want a cone of fire in Red Orchestra.)

Ingame you could implent it rather easily:
Right now you try to stay in IS and wobble around when using IS while walking/trying to move. My personal experience always told me that using this in close quarter combat is nearly worthless (at least in the mod) and it feels very unnatural too - nobody would walk around while trying to focus the IS like that, since you can hardly move and your field of view is very small. But at medium too long distances you always have the time to take an aimed shot - otherwise its useless to shoot anyway.
Instead you should automatically lower the weapon a bit, looking over the IS, but keeping it shouldered, so its steadily points near the center of your screen, but not as effective as IS.
Like that it could be used as good compromise of hip-shooting and using iron sights. I think hip-shooting would become rarer too.
Has anyone seen some special forces (GSG9 in germany, SEALs or anything like that). When approching a room or so, they walk quickly while having the gun shouldered.

(I hope all this havent been said before, didnt read the thread yet :p )

/Edit:
Oh, and it would make pistols as sidearm a lot more effective. With the current system I often prefered the Bolt-Rifle too the pistol even in close quarter combat in the mod.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Greger said:
Just no crosshairs, please.

IRL you don't get crosshairs, why here?

Also, to the poster who said cocking your head to the gun would give you a slight zoom: This zoom would be the same effect as you moving your head 1 inch twards the target, almost non-existant.
I hope you're kidding. Cause Ostfront doesn't have crosshairs already... :eek:

Upvote 0
Shouldering Weapon Discussion (Merged Threads)

You can fire when the gun is at hip level, out of iron sight mode, but you can't fire during the animation where you're shouldering the gun/bringing up the sights. So, if at all possible I'd like the ability to fire at any time when raising the sights. I think COD had this for their iron sights, and it only makes sense.

Upvote 0