• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Still problems loading and playing.

Helmut_AUT

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2005
This is driving me crazy - I still get the "game unavalable" error every now and then.

Today I also had a "game version incombatible with server" message trying to join DBDUK server (and others).

So I tried a reboot, and on the next launch "game currently unavalable". Closed Steam, closed RO...same message again.

Closed Steam, closed RO...then it suddenly worked. Why the hell?

To recap: I have an AMD 3000+ with 1 Gig of RAM, 6600GT, 4mbit Cable Connection, Hardware Router, no Virusscanner or Software-Firewall. Running WinXP SP1.

I went trough all the FAQs on steampowered.com dealing with the "Game currently unavalable" error, but it's not there. I have admin rights on my system, my game cache is verified correctly, no Zone-Alarm or other things, my ISP is not blocking any ports. No Spyware or Adware.

I have enough harddrive space left, I have no applications running in the background. My .gcf files are not write-protected.

The error is entirely random. I can play two or three days just fine, then it happens out of the blue. Then it works for another day or two. The only thing I know is that it started after the beta patch which now is official anyway. Before that I had 11 days of no problem gaming.

Also, querying the master server in game takes a while. May be connected somehow.

Steam Support is of no help, all they do is tell me to "close HL2.exe" and "reboot the computer". Yeah, great. Thanks Valve.

I have attached the minidump files from the Steam Folder from the two "game unavalable" errors today.

Please Tripwire, get this sorted. It sucks.

Attachments

• Steam.zip
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
I get the Game unavaible Message 50% of the time i start RO the first time, but unless with you its usually solved with one time clsoing of Steam, closing the exe, starting Steam. You don't need to restart the PC afaik.

Happened only once that i had to do this twice...

OFFTopic

I don't run Windows XP, but ain't a higher SP avaible than SP1 ? Might not have anything to do with the Problem, but its always better to update it... Even if its a MS update *g*

Upvote 0
Do you have Steam starting up when Windows starts? If so go into Steam view/settings/interface and uncheck Run Steam when Windows starts. Shut down Steam then start RO by clicking the Steam shortcut.

Always start (RO) Steam this way (manually) sometimes Steam does not update when it starts with Windows.

Upvote 0
Nope, I did not want Steam to Auto-Load, so I'm always starting RO (and Steam) trough the RO shortcut.

What I noticed recently is that between clicking the RO icon, and Steam to appear "connecting account:" it may take many seconds. This wasn't the case back at the beginning.

I'm starting to wonder if this isn't a network/lag/ping time related error.

Witzig, yes, there is WinXP SP2, but that causes a lot of problems with some stuff so I'm not installing unless someone has a definite angle on this.

Upvote 0
Okay didn't know that about Win XPSP2 (don't own XP), the one thing we have in common is that we connect through a Hardware Router/Firewall.

This seems to be a Steam problem not a TWI Problem, since its Steam telling me that the Game is unavaible, not Ostfront doing strange things. But since i didn't do any Maintence on my PC for a longer period (Formating the Drive with the Windows Install, repairing the registry) there are a lot of Possibilities for getting this Error.

And no Steam is not on autoload with me too (i don't like to many Programs autoloading), since i don't start my PC for Ostfront alone :).

Upvote 0
Did you have this right from beginning? My problems started the day after the first beta "update" was downloaded. Many other people started reporting problems at the same time, there was a thread about that.

I can't help but think somehow the beta (now official) patch is interfering with parts of Steam. Not sure why. It may be related to people trying to "unload" the beta patch by removing the -ro beta switch.

Upvote 0
I had this in the BETA (not the Beta Patch, the full BETA), which went away after updating Ostfront, but came back a Day later, sometimes i don't get the unavaible Message.

My guess is that Steam either has a Bug somewhere in relation to Non Source Games with finding the Game, or that my Registry is just that borked that it won't find it every time *G*

Though i'm no Computer Expert, but i know who i have to ask if something doesn't work. But as long as i can get Ostfront to start after closing Steam once and using the Task Manager, i won't visit the Steam Boards about this ( i really hate the colors from that Forum).

Upvote 0
I visited the Steam Boards already about this. Besides closing my first thread just because I dared to mention that I don't find it okay when you have to wait 18 hours for an account, all that happens over there is "users helping users".#

In other words, lots of blind people trying to make each other see.

And their email/web based support is moronic. Telling someone who writes about a Red Orchestra problem to close half life is blantantly screaming "Hello, our support sucks."

So, spare the way. Perhabs one of the Tripwire support guys could actually take my Steam error log attachment and push it trough a better channel towards Valve.

Upvote 0
Hello Helmut_AUT,

Let's start troubleshooting your "This game is currently unavailable..." error first. From Yoshihiro, if you get this error just open Task Manager and end the RedOrchestra.exe process. If you did that and still get the error, well...there is another reason.

I remember you posted your mdmp file and I told you it was caused by Steamdvr.sys failing to load. What I'm proposing is for you to check beforehand if Steamdvr.sys is loaded before starting Red Orchestra. If Steamdvr.sys is loaded and you start Red Orchestra and you get the error. Then that eliminates Steamdvr.sys as the cause of the error and we could check elsewhere. But if Steamdvr.sys is not loaded and you start Red Orchestra and get the error. That means Steamdvr.sys is the cause of the error.

Here are the steps:
  1. Go to this link http://www.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorerNt.zip and download ProcessExplorerNt.zip. Unzip it and copy its contents in your hard drive.
  2. Go to the folder where you copied the contents of the zip file and open procexp.exe.
  3. In Process Explorer, click System in Process pane. Then look at the bottom pane, it lists the drivers loaded on the system.
  4. Look for Steamdvr.sys. If it is there then it is loaded in the system and you should go to Step 7. If it is not there then it is not loaded in the system.
  5. Open your Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services. Look for the Steamdvr subkey. If the Steamdvr subkey is there, check if the Start key has a value of 2 and reboot. If Steamdvr subkey is not there, copy the View attachment Steamdvr.reg.txt file to your hard drive and rename it to Steamdvr.reg. Then double click it and then check your Registry if the Steamdvr subkey got added then reboot.
  6. After reboot is complete, open Process Explorer and check if Steamdvr.sys is loaded in the system.
  7. Run Red Orchestra if you get the "This game is currently not available..." error. That means Steamdvr.sys is not the cause of the error. But if the error disappears then Steamdvr.sys is the cause of the error.

Upvote 0