• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mosin Nagant Bayonet

The Soup Nazi

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2006
Seeing as how its a spiked bayonet, I don't think that thing is as easy to store as a blade style bayonet. Is it carried in some sort of pouch worn on the belt or was it kept somewhere else? (I'd assume not in the rucksack or plash-palatka, otherwise taking it out would be a pretty big hassle in a combat situation)

[CoFR]BooBoo said:
Would normally be carried in a sheath on the belt. I've seen them, lookes kinda like a tapered leather tube with a belt loop at the top. Can't seem to find a pic on the 'net, at least not with a quick Google search.

You can't find a picture on the net, because Russian bayonet scabbards are extremely rare. The vast majority of troops weren't issued one so carried the bayonet on the rifle as Zoring described.

This is why the M44 came out with the folding bayonet.

Upvote 0
If I put all my strength into it, this is where my bayonet stops:

6_23_050905_russia.jpg

I'm looking at the "easiness factor" of ROOST and conclude that it's too tough :p

Upvote 0
I dipped it in some boiling water then oiled it up, and that helped a little. It's not a huge deal, I can still put it on with the use of a pliers. I figure I'll just ream it out until it moves a bit easier.

I was talking with someone else who has several 91/30s, and they said that the bayonets without matching serials went on much easier than the ones serialed for the rifle... I found that interesting.

Upvote 0
[CoFR]BooBoo said:
Would normally be carried in a sheath on the belt. I've seen them, lookes kinda like a tapered leather tube with a belt loop at the top. Can't seem to find a pic on the 'net, at least not with a quick Google search.

Nope, sorry but the bayo was under normal circumstances always on the rifle.
This is part of Soviet doctrine in that soldiers where disciplined if they took of their bayonets.

Not only was it Soviet doctrine, but the rifles were sighted in with bayo ON at the armory and if bayo is removed the rifle will shoot to the side due to the missing harmonics of the bayo not being there.

This is the scarbord is so rare. It was not only not needed but rarely used.

I have an issue with RO not being realistic in that regard in that the bayo should be on the MN rifle at the start of the game. Apparently the developers felt that they would surrender some realism for game playability.:mad:

Which makes sense since lots from the German side would complain that the soviets had the advantage of not having to put the bayo on at spawn.

Upvote 0
The Red Army issued scabbards in the late 1930s, you see them in pictures of the fighting at Khalkin Gol. When the Germans invaded they stopped making them for the duration along with lots of other stuff like...

M1938 Sun Hat ('Panama')
M1936, M1938 & M1940 backpack
Breadbag
Messtin cover
Y-straps
Plash Nakidna (Officer's raincape)
Tent poles for the Plash Palatka

I could go on.

Upvote 0
WickedPenguin said:
Leave it up to the Finns:

M91 and M91/30 bayonet scabbard

The Soviets, however, ALWAYS left the bayonet on except when placing the rifle in storage or when moving in a vehicle.

I challenge anyone to find a WWII combat Russian combat pic showing a 91/30 with the bayonet off. :D

i have trouble finding pics of the rifles with the bayonets on... which makes me wonder if the bayonets were even issued to everyone

Upvote 0