• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Getting RO to work with Norton 2006

Intro: I had attempted to play RO on my parents computer which had Norton Systemworks 2006 and Norton Personal Firewall 2006, and received the following error message:

ro_error.JPG

(also stated as second from last error in this post.)

Now when I was receiving this error I had these elements of Norton installed:
  • Norton System Works 2006
  • Norton Antivirus 2006
  • Norton Utilities (UnErase Wizard, Wipe Info) (pic below)
  • Norton Cleanup
  • Norton Personal Firewall 2006
norton_screen2.JPG

It is my belief that Any type of Norton Utilities 2006 installed will produce this error message. Simple Solution, uninstall Norton Utilities. You can still have your Norton Antivirus and Firewall 2006 installed and RO will run. (at least it is running for me).

Here is what my install for System Works looks like now:
norton_screen.JPG

I would also recommend after reconfiguring Norton to then delete the Red Orchestra folder (not the 2 .GCF files), the clientblob file, and restart steam. Also revalidate your RO files.

Additional Comments:
I believe that Norton Systemworks 2005 with utilities installed should work, since I believe my roommate has it installed with utilities and runs RO fine. I will double check this when I get back to school.

I haven't heard of any Norton problems with just antivirus and/or firewall and with any other year addition. If you have a problem with a different edition and/or year, post below and see if someone has an idea.

Screenshot showing Norton 2006 Installed and RO running:
(when I get a chance, I'll get a program to scale down the image)
ro_working.JPG

Last edited:
Well, I have Norton Internet Security 2006, and I get the Precondition Assertion failed error. :(

Before the first patch I could still play the game if I clicked 'ignore' and RO seemd to work ok in the internet game, but after the first map the game seemed to jam for me (map loading timeout or something.)

After the first patch this seems to happen more frequently and I can't even play the first map in the internet. So hopefully this bug is the next to be ironed out.

Upvote 0
Hi Foul Ole Ron,

Norton Internet Security 2006 contains the following programs:
  1. Norton Antivirus
  2. Norton Personal Firewall
  3. Norton Privacy Control
  4. Norton AntiSpam
  5. Norton Parental Control
According to TrippinFelix, Norton Antivirus and Norton Personal Firewall works with Red Orchestra. So one of the three remaining programs is causing the Precondition Assertion Failed error. Why not disable or uninstall each of the three remaining programs and see if the error disappears.

Upvote 0
Foul Ole Ron said:
Before the first patch I could still play the game if I clicked 'ignore' and RO seemd to work ok in the internet game, but after the first map the game seemed to jam for me (map loading timeout or something.)

Yes I would be able to do this as well too, and could get on the internet for some games. If you run the game in windows mode, you will see at just about every menu, the error message will pop and you'd have to click ignore again to move forward.

Upvote 0
kAMIKAZE said:
Hi Foul Ole Ron,

Norton Internet Security 2006 contains the following programs:
  1. Norton Antivirus
  2. Norton Personal Firewall
  3. Norton Privacy Control
  4. Norton AntiSpam
  5. Norton Parental Control
According to TrippinFelix, Norton Antivirus and Norton Personal Firewall works with Red Orchestra. So one of the three remaining programs is causing the Precondition Assertion Failed error. Why not disable or uninstall each of the three remaining programs and see if the error disappears.
Yes that is pretty much what I had to do to see if it would work. Also incase I didn't state it clearer, I had, or rather my father, bought 2 seperate programs. Norton SystemWorks and Norton Personal Firewall. The Antivirus was included in the SystemWorks. I don't have Internet Security so I don't know what would be different, but I would try, like stated above, to Uninstall components one at a time, and play around and see what parts will work and what won't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Foul Ole Ron said:
The trouble is, as far as I can tell, that I can't remove any of the individual parts of Intenet Security from either the control panel or via the program itself.

What I did was goto Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Select the Norton product > click on either Change or Remove > from there Norton should ask if you want to either modify it, or delete it completely. I choose modify and unchekc any components that I want to remove, and leave checked the things that I want to keep.

Upvote 0
I also run NortonsSystem Works 2006.You can have all of the programs running,but for one.If I turn off Go Back,then RO will run.You may want to try turning it off and see if it works for you.I like useing Nortons Go Back,as it has saved me a few times.All of the other steam games work fine with it on.Plz fine a fix for it.Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have Systemworks 2006, have the error and have uninstalled the "GoBack" program from my system.

I still get the error, so that isn't it. Based on the first poster's experience, I'm going to have to try removing the Utilities elements now. As Tripwire are working on this, perhaps they can tell us, at least, which Nortons app it is that is causing the error instead of us bumbling around. They must have got that far already.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, in Systemworks 2006, I uninstalled "GoBack" (noted above) and that didn't fix it. So I uninstalled all of Utilities. Deleted the client_registry.blob, fired it up (from Steam) and got a runtime error...still, some advance on the problem.

So I deleted the redorchestra.ini and the user.ini and ..... it runs !!!

Success. :)

Now all I have to do is research the poor loading times issue, resolve it, and I might have a playable bit of software.

Who beta tested this? On what kind or rigs? Ones like the people most likey to purchase this product?

Upvote 0
Why would anyone install Norton?

It has the characteristics of a virus:
1. It drains 90% of the resources in your system.
2. It makes it impossible to run a lot of software.
3. Once installed, you will need a format to remove it.

Im surprised there hasnt been created 4th party norton removal software tools.

Dont blame Tripwire that Norton treats it RO as a virus, its obviously nortons fault. No gaming rig should have norton software installed.

Upvote 0
Ghad said:
Why would anyone install Norton?​

3. Once installed, you will need a format to remove it.​

Im surprised there hasnt been created 4th party norton removal software tools.​

Dont blame Tripwire that Norton treats it RO as a virus, its obviously nortons fault. No gaming rig should have norton software installed.​

No you don't need to reformat once Norton is installed to remove it. I use Norton on this gaming rig and no problems just RO. I've used Norton for about 4 years now and will continue to do so.

Upvote 0
Same here, Norton has worked well with the notable exception of RO, and until we know exactly what the problem is, it's pointless to blame Norton for it.

I don't know where you get this 'information' on the qualities of Norton, do speak from personal experience or what? In any case, the only problem I have had with Norton is that it doesn't seem to like RO. Other than that it's been problem free for me. I am not saying it's perfect, very few things are.

Upvote 0
Foul Ole Ron said:
Same here, Norton has worked well with the notable exception of RO, and until we know exactly what the problem is, it's pointless to blame Norton for it.

I don't know where you get this 'information' on the qualities of Norton, do speak from personal experience or what? In any case, the only problem I have had with Norton is that it doesn't seem to like RO. Other than that it's been problem free for me. I am not saying it's perfect, very few things are.
Not to get into a Norton bashing contest, but when he first introduced his Speedisk? software ('85?), one of his updates literally trashed the contents of many a person's HardDrive. Mine was one of them. As I've already made a previous post about dear old Peter's early days, I'll not bore everyone with the details again. Suffice it to say that Peter caused a lot more troubles than RO ever could or will. As his business was messing around the the intricacies of your computer, one certainly expected non-issues with such sensitive software. His pre-Symantic version of System Works was buggy as hell and a pure resource hog. (This was back when a 20Mb HD was more disk space than any one person could possibly use.) I'd always assumed he started publishing through Symantic to deflect the Tech Support to a much larger company. His early A/V ( Symantec's) was usually behind and/or gave too many false positives.

I've said too much and this is off topic. For some people his stuff works fine. However, if you are into experimenting with stuff, you'll soon get to know your computer inside and out 'cause he'll eventually lock something up. I don't use Norton and as a rule don't recommend his stuff. If you only run run of the mill programs, like having "mirrors" on your HD taking up space, and don't know how to "undelete" something (even with a Recycle bin?),.....then he'll do you a fine job I'm sure.

Here is some info concerning just Speedisk...
http://www.auditmypc.com/process/nopdb.asp
The nopdb.exe process is used by Norton Speeddisk. By default this process is started automatically when your computer boots up. It can be quite resource intensive, so it is recommended to change the settings of the speeddisk component in Norton Utilities/Systemworks to be started manually.

If you are low on resources and using Speeddisk, you may be interested in this page:
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/nopdb.exe.html
NOPDB.EXE is a service used by Speed Disk, part of Norton SystemWorks 2003. It is mainly associated with scheduling Speed Disk, but it does run by default. If you disable it, Speed Disk will still run when manually launched.

Jim Larsen:It takes up 99-100% of my CPU when it runs killing speed on all other processes.
Mallik: yespeed disk will NOT run without this file,manually or automatically not harmful, but can be a major CPU time hog.
(To be fair, in general, the massive CPU usage they refer to occurs when the program is de-fragging.)

Didn't mean to go off on an off-topic rant. Sorry.

Floyd

Upvote 0
Ghad said:
Why would anyone install Norton?​

3. Once installed, you will need a format to remove it.​

Im surprised there hasnt been created 4th party norton removal software tools.​

Dont blame Tripwire that Norton treats it RO as a virus, its obviously nortons fault. No gaming rig should have norton software installed.​
With all due respect, you haven't read the threads explaining the problems people have been having have you. It doesn't treat it as a virus and I'll blame Tripwire for not adequately beta testing their stuff with the type of configs widely found in the customer base. Thats the point of beta testing.

Hopefully, this thread will allow people that DO use Norton 2006 to get RO up and running while they wait for a fix for RO to stop it crashing in a Norton's Utilities installed environment.

But thanks for your input, its been helpful.

Upvote 0