• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orch vs DOD

Oldih
DoD (and DoDS) are both balanced between realism, gameplay and fun. Somewhat arcadish, somewhat realistic etc.
Please... DoD:S is arcade all the way. It has no balance between realism and gameplay. Its like COD on the source engine (even that would be better than DoD:S).

MkH^
Sort of lacked the dark, gritty feeling RO offers. The weapons used the horrible cone of fire system,
Yeah I also miss that feeling of the maps too, everything is all bright and sunny like theres no war going on at all, the buildings are just poorly made and bits of them fell into the street :p. While the COF system isn't bad in and of itself, DoD:S's implentmentation is just wrong. Several people on the DOD forum tested them, the results? TOO ****ING BIG. You could easily fit a standing soldier in the smgs cof at 15-20 feet. The only reason I can give for them being so big is the lack of recoil. Its like the devs decided to trade recoil for accuracy, I don't know why they would... doesn't make any sense to me.

19. You punch with the knife. It has integrated brass knuckles, but still, you can only punch with it. And when you see someone else do it they are stabbing! WTF? Consistency please

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The original DoD was an amazing game, reasons are;
1. Controllable recoil
2. Fast-paced gameplay
3. Great maps
4. The player's skill, not his weapon, determined his deadliness
5. It was just a shitload of fun
6. Para/objective maps (maybe these hold a special place in the my heart, everyone else seemed to hate em)

DoD:S does not have any of these points. It's like CS:S, but somehow worse.

I still like original DoD more that RO:OST, but RO is one helluva game.

Upvote 0
I've played both DoD (somewhat more or less all the versions) and DoD:S. I enjoyed both, great games. But something is missing.. it still feels too arcade. You can easily rush anywhere with a couple of nades and an smg, and win the match alone. There is something missing there..

And that missing thing Red Orchestra offers. Realism, teamplaying, and a big bunch of very nice things.

In my opinion, RO>DoD>DoD:S

Carry on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you can use semi auto, it works wonders! The amount of times i've used semi auto and got a one shot kill is very high.
Compare that the RO's STG44 on semi and full auto. Both are useful at most ranges while the semi in DoD:S is hardly worth the time to switch to it since the accuracy increase is almost nill.
Oldih
F.E. stands "For Example".
O I C... people usually use e.g. or ex. when they are refering to a example.. anyways.
Oldih
In classic, SMG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i left 3 yrs of competitive RTCW and ET for DOD:S when it was released. ET had become way to arcade and boring.
i enjoyed DOD for the most part and loved all the weapon/player skins
available. The game still felt pretty arcadey ,but nothing like ET did.

I heard about ROOST threw steam and preordered. LOVE THIS GAME
havent even launched et or dod since it was released

overall immersion of ROOST is hands down the best!
it feels like every respawn is more critical and staying alive is key..
no run n gun bs

the graphics arent as good as DODS but thats to be expected..
with a little tweaking the game looks dam fine and is far less of a system hawg as the source engine

i hope this game keeps building a strong community because its the best WW2 FPS out there!! :cool::cool:

Upvote 0
I played dod religiously for around 6 years. Like many others I preorded dod:s when it was first said that it was going to be a straight port of dod. When it came out it didn't take long for me to quit the one game I'd been playing for what seems like forever. I didn't care that it wasn't a direct port, I just couldn't stand how the guns were so innacurate. To me there's nothing fun about having my crosshairs on someone 30 yards away and not being able to hit them. It doesn't make the game fun, it makes it frustrating. It went the wrong direction for me, so I walked away from it.

Now I spend my time playing RO. Love the game, though I must admit I do miss the American weapons.

Upvote 0
Wow I created a monster

Wow I created a monster

Wow - Looks like a created a monster !

Ok, some excellent replies there, thanks so much for taking the time to reply and with such insight on both games.

Only question I have left is, is RO like CS when you die you have to sit out the rest of the game. Or is it like DOD:S where you respawn and get back in the action.

I hate CS and having to sit out the rest of the game.

Cheers Slotter.

Ps. I think I will be giving RO a try. I am heavily into DOD:S and a Jolt Admin etc, so I can't see myself giving it up. But I am tempted to try RO after all these comments ;)

Upvote 0
RO has reinforcement system, but much more realistic than in DoDS.

There are *limited* amount of respawns, dipslayed as pergetance in scoreboard, reflecting somewhat "troops-in-the-combat-area"- system, and when reinforcements are run out, you have to wait til everyone is dead or that other team wins the map. This does not happen often but still it is possible.

But keep in mind, RO is far more realistic compared to DoDS, so expect getting yourself killed pretty much at start :cool:

Upvote 0