• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A few tank ideas

Sir_Alex

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 13, 2006
ok i have some ideas for more realism in tanks (that i havent seen been mentioned )

-Swapping seats shouldnt be doable instantly, as this makes a lot of selfish bastards run of with the tanks solo, and avoid going as a team.
So if there were some delay of some kind that would be great, maybe even seeing you character climbing up though the tank to he's new position.

-The machine gunner should be able to stick he's head out as well... its boring enough beeing the mg when you only see the turret.

-If the tank get some minor damage, like the belts gets shot off; the crew should be able to go outside and fix it. (wich should require some time)

Any opinions...?

I've been playing T72 Balkans on Fire and i've been having a blast just driving a tank with decent physics and gears.

RO needs this, It doesen't have to be 100% realistic and contain every gear the tank used for every different tank, but just something to give the driver more to do than hold forward.

A starter motor, ignition, Reverse, Neutral and 5 or 6 forward gears just to give us something to do would be ace.

Upvote 0
Sir_Alex said:
ok i have some ideas for more realism in tanks (that i havent seen been mentioned )

-Swapping seats shouldnt be doable instantly, as this makes a lot of selfish bastards run of with the tanks solo, and avoid going as a team.
So if there were some delay of some kind that would be great, maybe even seeing you character climbing up though the tank to he's new position.

-The machine gunner should be able to stick he's head out as well... its boring enough beeing the mg when you only see the turret.

Any opinions...?

nice idears,espacially the mg gunner part :D

Upvote 0
gonzman said:
I've been playing T72 Balkans on Fire and i've been having a blast just driving a tank with decent physics and gears.

RO needs this, It doesen't have to be 100% realistic and contain every gear the tank used for every different tank, but just something to give the driver more to do than hold forward.

A starter motor, ignition, Reverse, Neutral and 5 or 6 forward gears just to give us something to do would be ace.
Forward to ignite, Melee key to enable startengine, Numpad keys to switch gears... :D

This way you can realistically go from 2nd gear to 4th without chosing third... Useless, but realistic! :D

Upvote 0
Yeah I brought up the gears option before, and its a must for those realism players, but it should be an option so the noobs can still drive.

The hull mgers usually didn't have a hatch to poke their head out of, so maybe we can have a different view other than looking down the sights. You know how the commander can switch his views, the machine gunner should be able to sit back in his seat and look around, hell it'll be SOMETHING to do.

Also the track repair thing isn't a good idea. The maps are in a combat zone and you surely don't want to jump out of your tank to fix up your tank. Tank crews fixed their tanks once they were in a secure location and it took a long time.

Upvote 0
Repairs are unrealistic.

To quote myself, from another thread:

BobdogG5 said:
Unrealistic.

Repairing a tread or a wheel is not a "minor repair". Replacing a tread can take hours, even on today's modern tanks. You need to remember, these treads and wheels weigh hundreds of pounds and are not as easy to swap out as your car's tires are (simply the mechanical procedure, not taking into account the weight differences), which takes takes a while when you really do think about it.

Same goes for the engine. Changing the spark plugs or air filter in your car takes 5 or 10 minutes, how long do you think it's going to take a crew to repair their engine after it's been hit by a shell or spall? Even opening the engine compartment would take a while (I would think), since I doubt WW2 tanks had easy-opening engine door latches. Repairing anything else would take way too long; the map would end before the repair could be finished. Of course, this is assuming the tank crew knows how to disassemble and reassemble their engine.

Upvote 0
Neg on the tank repairs, but i like the other suggestions, especially gear switches

Also...dunno what post this was in (probably several) but people were complaining about how quickly destroyed tanks respawn at your base. I have no idea how long it actually takes, but a long-ish respawn time could better simulate tanks being brought to the front, make tank crews value their tanks a lot more, and generally make it more realistic...that or it could completely destroy tank combat, whatev @_@

Upvote 0
gonzman said:

I have Iron Warriors: T72 Cammander, I was told it's the exact same game as Balkans on Fire. Is this true? Also, it's quite hard and I can't seem to get above 20kmp/h.

Apart from this, If RO had this kind of realism.. tankbattles would REALLY need teamwork, as opposed to the 1 man army's we're seeing now.

Upvote 0
Gears is one feature i dont think should be an option, the noobs can still learn how to press a key to change a gear when the revs are high enough, its not that hard, even Need for Speed games has a similar complexity, gear up when at the right revs.

It would not be fair to have some people driving around with manual transmission and the rest having the current ultra unrealistic automatic gearbox.

Upvote 0
Things like this have been mentioned many times. I personally hope to see gears, tank riding, switching position animations, more detailed interiors with the ability to look around the full 360 degrees inside from ANY position in the tank (MGer is really annoying for this reason), entrance and exit animations, loading animations, firing animations, the ability to see your fellow tank crewmen in the tank with you (and maybe even when they die). In the future I hope that many of these things will help to really flesh out vehicels, not only in their looks but also in the ammount of skill it takes to say, drive them, making having a good driver just as important as having a good gunner.

Tanks were never fixed in the middle of a battle as protrayed in ROO. It simply wasnt done.

Upvote 0