• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Awesome tank idea!! (Well I think so anyway...)

Jack

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2005
Hey, I just thought of something to cure, or at least help alleviate, the problem with driver-commander coordination, which will help gameplay and is realistic!

In many tanks, the commander could touch the back of the driver with his feet, and would use his feet to tell the driver what to do. For example, kicking the back of the head meant stop, pressure on the left shoulder meant go left, etc.

We already have quick commands for telling teh driver to stop, go left, go right, etc., but what we don't have is a precise way of telling the driver where to go.

For example, you say "Go left!" and that is completely ambigious. The driver is wondering: "Go hard left, a little to the left, do I turn left or does he mean go forward while moving obliquely to the left?"

So, if you could bind the arrow keys to a movment indicator on the "clock" HUD, or even have red arrows flash on the bottom of the drivers HUD.

For as long as the commander holds down the left arrow, the driver sees a red arrow pointing left, simulating the pressure he would feel on his left shoulder. When the commander takes his hand off the arrow key, or presses another direction, the arrow changes. When he presses the space bar, you get a flashing icon at the bottom that means "STOP", ane would be the simulated "kick to the head." To communicate "turn left fast" as oppossed to "turn left slow," the commander could press a combination, like Ctrl left (and Ctrl is next to the arrow keys :cool:), which would change the color of the arrow.

So using this system, the driver is going along, and depending on what the commander sees or wants to do, can communicate precies orders with stopping, turning, accelerating, etc. It would be more inuitave then having to read the commands as we do now in chat, would be quicker to press, and be more precise. I already see people typing in chat "Turn left." Then a second later, "No faster! Enemy! turn faster!" Wouldn't it be better to just press Ctrl + Left Arrow and communicate to this to the driver instantly and graphically on his HUD?

Well i somebody kicked me in the back of my head while i was driving then i stop the tank , drag the commander out , and drive my tank over him several times.
I mean could you imagine the situation, the driver getting out of the tank with severe concussion and blood trickling down the back of his head?

Upvote 0
Jono said:
Well i somebody kicked me in the back of my head while i was driving then i stop the tank , drag the commander out , and drive my tank over him several times.
I mean could you imagine the situation, the driver getting out of the tank with severe concussion and blood trickling down the back of his head?

I think he meant a "slight tap with the foot" and not actually kicking the driver ;)

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
I think he meant a "slight tap with the foot" and not actually kicking the driver ;)

According to some books I've read, you never can tell wheter a Prussian officer would just tap, or preferably kick the driver unconscious and then shout "Verdammt Schwein! Nicht faulenzen!" :D

As for the idea itself, I like it, altough a few buddies + Ventrilo/Teamspeak does the trick very well, too.

Maybe it could be made so, that the comm could click on his tank icon, and the rest of the crew would see a sector highlighted in the "clock" -thingy with the overview of the tank status.

Good idea, carry on.

Upvote 0
I wouldnt mind giving some of the drivers a good kick to the head...
Left, right, or center...a good whack upside the head would do some of these 'drivers' some good. lol
But really...
I think thats a good idea and very creative...however, there is allready inagame 'vehicle quick-chat' commands.

Upvote 0
Great idea!!

...although i can't help but think even such a simple (yet effective) means of driver-commander communication might confuse the pub nubs....of course, you could add instructions for its use in the pop-up tips box....

I'd love to see this implemented!

Note: on the subject of how hard task-master commanders booted the drivers... why not add a "super kick" bind that damages your nub drivers? ;) :p

Upvote 0