• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Axis / Team stacking The Thread Reborn

*FMJ*Bird

Apr 7, 2006
Made a post a week ago regarding balance issue to start a discussion about where this is going to go and what and when will a fix be implemented if ever.

My post has been deleted as far as I can tell. It met posted criteria. If criticisms can not be taken in stride here then whats the point of it all. Im not an old mod fanboy here to plant my lips on someones ass cheeks because they made a game. I am here to inject something that there is little discussion about.

I represent the typical gaming group player. We have around 40 active members. For a few days we were all hot to jump on the next FPS, especially one with the WWII era for its setting. It started with wow this is sweet everyone hurry and go get it off steam. Now its reverted to DONT BUY IT. Its going to last a few weeks and all that will be left are the hard core loyalists who cry in game about whats missing from the free mod version.

The axis stacking and lack of auto team balance is an absolute load of crap. To say that we need a mutator or modification from a 3rd party to rectify this is unacceptable. You assume going into the purchase that a game released in this day and age would have the basics covered. A server side patch came out so apparently this wasnt a priority.

The axis based clans and retards that dont care for a real challenge love the game. I see the same 40-50 players hop on the server, check the teams, when they cant get their stack on they just leave. Then theres the type that stacks axis and plays until the teams are even or the Russians are getting the upper hand and they disconnect. There are dozens of these players. I see them regularly. How can a game be released like this when you know its human nature to take any advantage offered?

The axis weapons are clearly superior, with better sight picture. (I dont want to hear **** about realism, this is a game and should be balanced as such, the russian weapons have absurd accuracy issues).

The momentum the axis team tends to carry overwhelms the russians too often. You should be torn with what side to choose at game start. If the russains need more guns and equipment to offset this THEN DO IT. I don’t know how some people think that others are enjoying playing the Russians with a bolt action rifle or a ppsh that wont hit the side of a barn 80% of the time.

Yesterday a [RO-DEV] joins our server. Stacks up the axis by 3-4 people. I say something to him about it, he leaves without an answer. Typical, even the developers cant take a second to dish out a response. You think of all people that know whats going on they would join spec and then pick a team. Hell no, STRAIGHT TO THE AXIS STACK FOR ODESSA. That is just plain gutless crap.

Things were looking bright early on. We assumed this would blossom, so we shipped out an idle server to launch on premium bandwidth. To our surprise and $500 later, a dual xeon 3ghz with 2gb ram with nothing else on it and ultimately a 4GBPS connection are inadequate? I say your gaming engine is. My processors (which it only takes advantage of one, pffft) get to 26-30% at 30-32 players and pings go through the roof. Our BF2 server that is full 24.7 at 64 players runs lag free on the same connection on a p4 3.2 SINGLE with ultra low pings. I get a 8-11 to my servers. Not in this game. I ping usually 25-35. 0-1088 is common. YES POST SERVER PATCH. All over the place. Not alot of in game lag but way too much instability. If our Tier One connection is good enough for the #6 BF2 server in the world it should be good enough for ostfront.

I had around 12 people run out and buy it. Of those about 3 actually play. I suspect they will last about another week tops. With the lack of content, the game has to be balanced plain and simple. I wish the best for the game and the community but I cant fight another losing battle with a game right now.

I was getting burned out on BF2 and the ranking system, thought that ROO would bring a better style of gameplay with the lack of points. People still go out only for themselves. There is a real lack of teamwork and communication. An exceptional amount of in game flaming, teamkilling, and voice comm spamming are common place.

You can start to flame away with the obligatory good glad your gone. Thats not the point. The point is to do something about the axis stack before more of the main stream, new to ROO players disappear like me. While this was somewhat of an issue in the COD games its not nearly as pronounced as the American equipment balances things out.

Thanks to all the regulars and players that helped us with the slow painful process of populating the server daily. We are going to shut it down with the lack of player count to support it. Peace, good luck to the game and the community. Have fun, GGs

Well ok, I have never run into the "Axis stack" as you call it. Sure people stack, but the stack the allies just as much. And about the guns, mabe you just are not very good with the allied weapons because I prefer them. I get a fine ping myself and the game is very playable on a muuuuuch worse system. I am sorry that this is not the case for you.

Upvote 0
My post has been deleted as far as I can tell. It met posted criteria. If criticisms can not be taken in stride here then whats the point of it all. Im not an old mod fanboy here to plant my lips on someones ass cheeks because they made a game.

As Yoshi said, it was deleted for having about 2 pages of flaming and insults at the end, not the original subject matter...and any thread pro or anti RO will disappear or get locked if the same happens. Dont assume ;)

Upvote 0
you have such players that only join the winning team or whole clans that join 1 side resulting in crap games. The only way to prevent this is by good admining of the server. When teams are uneven you give 1 clear message about it. If there is no responds then, you kick the 1 that has the highest score on the other team. That way if teams are unbalanced the better players will switch. And thus create a even team. Or you can always put a passw on the server and create an "invite only" server. It will keep things clear of the usual asshats and other lamers.

Upvote 0
So to summarize your perceptions, you are leaving becasue :

No AutoBalence for Allied / Axis Teams

Questionable Pings

Server Loads

Nerfed Soviet Weapons

I say #1 is easy fix and surely come soon. #2 and 3 I have never seen someone leave even the Mod for those reasons. #4 Are they really nerfed? I prefer Soviet weapons in game , especially tanks , better than the Axis.

Hate to see you leave. I think clan matches would have been better for you guys. Maybe you get bored with BF2 and come back - we'll all still be here. ;)

Upvote 0
kabex said:
Let me just say what a stupid complaint and you don't belong here, go play Battlefield2 or COD or a game that is "balanced" for the average person like you.

RO doesn't have to be balanced, it has to be realistic, and I have never experienced team stacking, even though I have been playing for weeks.

You are incredibly lucky then.
For the teams to be off by 2 (say 10 vs 12 or 17vs 15) is a GOOD game.
For 3 or 4 off is an average game, and it is not that uncommon to see one team having 5, 6 or even 7 players more than the other team!!!

One other serious issue is players without a class are counted as being on a team, so while both teams may have 12 players on their rosta, it may be that 3 players on one team have not selected a class, and are not playing, so there is a 3 man imbalance.

It would be good if those without a class weren't counted as being on a team, as this makes it harder to work out how many players there are per team, especially if you don't know that without selecting a class people aren't on the team properly.

Upvote 0
Personally I prefer the Russians. But I have never seen the issues you are talking about, and with my DSL connection I have only had lag issues a handful of times. I can understand your anger, but they have already stated that the problem is being looked into.

If you still want to quit that is your choice. However, remember that you could just wait instead.

Upvote 0
Lonyo said:
You are incredibly lucky then.
For the teams to be off by 2 (say 10 vs 12 or 17vs 15) is a GOOD game.
For 3 or 4 off is an average game, and it is not that uncommon to see one team having 5, 6 or even 7 players more than the other team!!!

One other serious issue is players without a class are counted as being on a team, so while both teams may have 12 players on their rosta, it may be that 3 players on one team have not selected a class, and are not playing, so there is a 3 man imbalance.

It would be good if those without a class weren't counted as being on a team, as this makes it harder to work out how many players there are per team, especially if you don't know that without selecting a class people aren't on the team properly.

Good post and very true. It doesn't matter which side it is, certain types of people will stack rather than fight the good fight. However, as trench pointed out this should easily be fixed when the auto balance issues are corrected.

Upvote 0
On Baskan Valley the other day the Germans outnumbered the Russian 20-13. We, the Russians, were inflicting such heavy casualties on them that they ran out of reinforcements. We then proceeded to take the map and win. Of course, when the final score came up, the Russains outnumbered the Germans 18-15. We had some last minutes side switchers.....:D

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:
On Baskan Valley the other day the Germans outnumbered the Russian 20-13. We, the Russians, were inflicting such heavy casualties on them that they ran out of reinforcements. We then proceeded to take the map and win. Of course, when the final score came up, the Russains outnumbered the Germans 18-15. We had some last minutes side switchers.....:D

We did the same on Kessel, it was around 14 vs 10 or so most of the game, sometimes as much as 13 vs 7, but we Russians (those with less players) managed to wear the germans down to 0% before the end of the game.
We didn't manage to win that round, but we won the next one, and were winning in the 3rd, with more even teams by that point.

It's certianly fun sometimes on some maps to slaughter the opposition though, when there's more of them it just means more to kill :)

Upvote 0
*FMJ*Bird said:
Made a post a week ago regarding balance issue to start a discussion about where this is going to go and what and when will a fix be implemented if ever.

My post has been deleted as far as I can tell. It met posted criteria. If criticisms can not be taken in stride here then whats the point of it all. Im not an old mod fanboy here to plant my lips on someones ass cheeks because they made a game. I am here to inject something that there is little discussion about.

I represent the typical gaming group player. We have around 40 active members. For a few days we were all hot to jump on the next FPS, especially one with the WWII era for its setting. It started with wow this is sweet everyone hurry and go get it off steam. Now its reverted to DONT BUY IT. Its going to last a few weeks and all that will be left are the hard core loyalists who cry in game about whats missing from the free mod version.

The axis stacking and lack of auto team balance is an absolute load of crap. To say that we need a mutator or modification from a 3rd party to rectify this is unacceptable. You assume going into the purchase that a game released in this day and age would have the basics covered. A server side patch came out so apparently this wasnt a priority.

The axis based clans and retards that dont care for a real challenge love the game. I see the same 40-50 players hop on the server, check the teams, when they cant get their stack on they just leave. Then theres the type that stacks axis and plays until the teams are even or the Russians are getting the upper hand and they disconnect. There are dozens of these players. I see them regularly. How can a game be released like this when you know its human nature to take any advantage offered?

The axis weapons are clearly superior, with better sight picture. (I dont want to hear **** about realism, this is a game and should be balanced as such, the russian weapons have absurd accuracy issues).

The momentum the axis team tends to carry overwhelms the russians too often. You should be torn with what side to choose at game start. If the russains need more guns and equipment to offset this THEN DO IT. I don

Upvote 0
I don't agree about the weapons, I love the SVT40 by far the most and the bolt action rifles are about equal.

Yeah, it's true I couldn't get used to the PPsh again (I really liked it in the mod) and the DP28 is pretty lackluster.

I don't think there's a particularly glaring weapon imbalance, just a lot of immature kids who pop a boner when they think "german army ww2"

Upvote 0
Legovski said:
I don't agree about the weapons, I love the SVT40 by far the most and the bolt action rifles are about equal.

Yeah, it's true I couldn't get used to the PPsh again (I really liked it in the mod) and the DP28 is pretty lackluster.

I don't think there's a particularly glaring weapon imbalance, just a lot of immature kids who pop a boner when they think "german army ww2"
DP 28 IS LACKLUSTER?!?!!? i don't know where you get that idea, i routinely murder german machine gunners and other enemies with it. i actually like it better than the german guns. then again, thats just my opinion.try the PPS43, its the answer to annoying axis players with mp40s

Upvote 0
Why are people still complaining about the russian SMGS's it took me a week if that to get used to the recoil, you people must be doing something wrong like holding fire down and running into an enemy position. Ive never seen this so called "Axis Stack", I agree Mp40 is a good weapon but for maps like Kessel and Krasnyi give a russian SMG anyday, hell i even throw my MP40 away for a PPSH. Your post has barely any truth in it, if you play BF2 and enjoy it then you like arcade shooters not realism so why did you buy RO? When it is clearly stated that it is a Realistc WW2 FPS.

Upvote 0