• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Graphics.

Makke

Apr 13, 2006
Sweden
Hello.

Alright, so I finally bought RO:Ostfront today, the boxed version, as after reading about all problems some people were having with it I decided if I was gonna be one of the unlucky ones who won't be able to even run the game because of crashes etc I could at least get a refund. Better safe than sorry. But thankfully the game installed, started up and played flawlessly, no issues whatsoever. I like the game alot, it's fun as hell and the gameplay is much better than the RO mod for UT2004.

But one thing is bothering me... the graphics.
And yes, I know.. 1. ..I can't compare this game to titles like Half-Life 2 or Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion graphics wise, because it uses an older engine, or whatever. 2. ..gameplay is more important than visuals.
But still, for me it does detract some from gameplay when the gameworld looks so.. ugly. I run the game at highest possible settings, everything turned on, in 1280x1024 (my 19' LCD monitor is the limit..), and yet the game looks very pixelated and unsharp. What's up with that? I seriously think the old RO mod looks better than this. There sure are alot of fancy-schmancy options to turn on and set to "highest" in the video options, but none of them really matter it seems as objects look like they do (on a distance), very pixellated, especially the trees.

Anyways, this is by no means a flame. I loved the mod and I love this game, no other WWII game beats it in terms of realism (obviously), gameplay and fun-factor. Just the graphics that leaves some to wish..
If someone knows a way to tweak the game so it looks better that'd be much appreciated.

Last thing.. I do believe TW have done a beautiful job with this game (especially the sound-guy.. the soundeffects are superb). And my bitching in this post is largely directed at Epic I suppose, as it's their engine. :)

Makke said:
If someone knows a way to tweak the game so it looks better that'd be much appreciated.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4974 - Every known tweak (except ones that make the graphics look crappier) is in there afaik.

If you follow all those tweaks and max out its graphics it looks brilliant. I think Source edges it out but there are certainly some maps and alot of different times when RO's graphics easily match the average Source game, alot of the time even passing them.

Upvote 0
Grunninger said:
I wonder why bloom wasn't turned off by default. Didn't the developers noticed during the beta that bloom makes the graphics unsharp for a large group of people. It's probably the main reason why there were so many negative comments about the graphics when the game got released.

Exactly, and I knew that was going to happen. The beta testers were well aware of this. Why the devs let it in I dont know as Im sure many many new players got angry, confused, etc.

Upvote 0
Makke said:
Hello.

Alright, so I finally bought RO:Ostfront today, the boxed version, as after reading about all problems some people were having with it I decided if I was gonna be one of the unlucky ones who won't be able to even run the game because of crashes etc I could at least get a refund. Better safe than sorry. But thankfully the game installed, started up and played flawlessly, no issues whatsoever. I like the game alot, it's fun as hell and the gameplay is much better than the RO mod for UT2004.

And yes, I know.. 1. ..I can't compare this game to titles like Half-Life 2 or Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion graphics wise, because it uses an older engine, or whatever. 2. ..gameplay is more important than visuals.
But still, for me it does detract some from gameplay when the gameworld looks so.. ugly. I run the game at highest possible settings, everything turned on, in 1280x1024 (my 19' LCD monitor is the limit..), and yet the game looks very pixelated and unsharp. What's up with that? I seriously think the old RO mod looks better than this. There sure are alot of fancy-schmancy options to turn on and set to "highest" in the video options, but none of them really matter it seems as objects look like they do (on a distance), very pixellated, especially the trees.

Anyways, this is by no means a flame. I loved the mod and I love this game, no other WWII game beats it in terms of realism (obviously), gameplay and fun-factor. Just the graphics that leaves some to wish..

Last thing.. I do believe TW have done a beautiful job with this game (especially the sound-guy.. the soundeffects are superb). And my bitching in this post is largely directed at Epic I suppose, as it's their engine. :)

Do you have a geforce 6800(GT) (maybe another nvidia card)?
If yes ,you can turn up sharpness in your control panel where color ,gamma,contrast are.
It makes a big difference!:cool:

Upvote 0
[tR]Mad Mac said:
The engine doesnt support it. Its not that uncommon. Lots of games dont do that (IL2, Silent Hunter 3, BF1942/Vietnam, etc)
I'm fairly certain that this particular engine can support ingame AA/AF settings if they're coded in; Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory had AA/AF settings in its graphics options, and it runs on UE2.5, the exact same engine as RO. I imagine it's just a matter of whether or not the developers want to go to the trouble of implementing them; Ubisoft, being much much larger than Tripwire, probably figured that they could deal with whatever extra coding hassle came with adding ingame settings for AA/AF.

Upvote 0
yeah i have to say i use HDR bloom and it looks fantastic....turning it off tho gives me a noticable increase in my FPS.

tbh the detail in this game totally beats the likes of other "war" games, for the sheer gritiness...other games look too "perfect" (e.g. bf2 or cod2) after playing RO. I also think the animations in RO are better than CoD2s (which are just CoDv1 rip offs).

Upvote 0
Makke said:
Hello.

Just make sure you have bloom off and AA/AF on in your gcard control panel. Also, if your card supports AAA it will fix the pixelated trees. :)

I love the highly detailed textures (and the overall gritty feel which makes it very atmospheric) in RO. MUCH better than the blurry poor textures in BF2 for example and so much more attention to detail.

Upvote 0