• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

This is how explosions should sound like...

LukeFF said:
Have you even been to Iraq? I spent a year of my life there and can personally attest that the sounds we currently have (with the exception of external tank noise) are very, very good.

Well, that clinches it for me. I've only got onboard sound, but for me, this is far and away the best sounding game ever - beats CoD2 into a cocked hat. :D

Upvote 0
i have to say a lot of this is also down to personal preference.

I am doing the sound for the Burning Sands Mod, and I have to say its going to be very daunting getting anything near the quality of the weapon sounds Xancerman has put into this game.

If you dont think they are good I ask you to do better, go and build a sound mod for RO with your own sounds, and lets see how good it compares to Xancermans. In all honesty i dont think anyone on this forum would have a chance in hell of bettering them.

PS i dont want to sound like a fanboy, but I have to be honest! :p

Upvote 0
Xancerman said:
hey guys, thanks for all the comments, both good and bad.

you all have to understand that we have fought three powerful enemys, time, UED (unreal editor), and hasselhoff.
the sound engine itself doesnt work as a soundtrack to a movie or how music works. the world of games requires much more love in order to get the results you want.

basically, we have brought the engine to its knees, chopped off its arms, and made it crawl out on steam and to the stores. still, this peg-armed abomination of gaming nature is preforming like a white stallion on crack.

so before vomiting something in the lines of 'oh, i heard an explosion in a movie that sounded awesome, make yours better' you need to know that the sounds has to go thru more than one digital signal processing unit before it can be presented ingame.

thanks for reading, and still, all your critics are welcome, as long as they are constructive.
Thanks for explaining that, I thought it would be like you described.

You have done a fantastic job on the job, well done ;)

I guessed the small number of dogy sounds in the game were down to time constraints but will you improve them in a patch? Some are missing also such as equipment clacking when you move and when you swap out your equipment.

Dav1d said:
I think the g43 sound is pretty close to the real thing

http://www.gunpics.net/movies/g43b.AVI
HAHHAAAA, you can tell who the fan boys by those that are willing to stretch their limis of imagination far enough to be able to call an apple and an orange the same thing :rolleyes:

DirtyRat said:
i have to say a lot of this is also down to personal preference.

I am doing the sound for the Burning Sands Mod, and I have to say its going to be very daunting getting anything near the quality of the weapon sounds Xancerman has put into this game.

If you dont think they are good I ask you to do better, go and build a sound mod for RO with your own sounds, and lets see how good it compares to Xancermans. In all honesty i dont think anyone on this forum would have a chance in hell of bettering them.

PS i dont want to sound like a fanboy, but I have to be honest! :p
You obviously haven't read most of this thread or you would of noticed that I have said multiple times that I think the sound is great overall, no, MORE than great... ****ing FANTASTIC! *deep breath*... only that some, SOME, could be better than what they are :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
d4v said:
You obviously haven't read most of this thread or you would of noticed that I have said multiple times that I think the sound is great overall, no, MORE than great... ****ing FANTASTIC! *deep breath*... only that some, SOME, could be better than what they are :)

Well i did read all the forum posts, and I do agree some sounds could be improved as does Xancerman even says so himself, but the engine has its limitations and I honestly cant see anyone bettering the current sounds.
Much of your critique is about personal preference and not about how the actual guns sound irl

PS that G43 clip posted is recorded with a shitty Camcorder, so it will not sound anything like the in game sound.

Upvote 0
Dav1d said:
lol i still stand by the fact that it sounds similar, it has that screechy kind of sound IMO. Side note where were the gun sounds recorded inside or out?
Yes it does have a screechy sound by the main "bang" part of the sound is completely differing and also, ROOST dosen't replicate that screeching noise very well atall... sounds artificial.

@ DirtyRat, I am aware of the engines limitations but that is no roadblock to getting better soundings wavs into the uax packages ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fu. Svedberg
(yeah contrast is probably not the right term but I guess most of you understand what I mean)
I do believe you mean "relative volume" (I'm not a sound guy, so this might be the right term or not. As long as people get the meaning, its all good).
d4v
@ DirtyRat, I am aware of the engines limitations but that is no roadblock to getting better soundings wavs into the uax packages ;)
I'm glad you volunteered, your deadline is by the end of May. Good luck ;)

Upvote 0
d4v said:
Well, I agree with you D4v. All I can say is, that I've been following Xancermans and Mercatorn's sounds evolution since the beginning, and I'm very proud over what they've done and what they've done better. And I like Xancermans way of feeling when he creates the sounds.
So the sounds, especially the rifle ones has got a great lift... And I know where the existing sounds come from too. ;) But I won't tell anyway.

Upvote 0
Byte Me said:
I do believe you mean "relative volume" (I'm not a sound guy, so this might be the right term or not. As long as people get the meaning, its all good).

I'm glad you volunteered, your deadline is by the end of May. Good luck ;)

Yeah I wish :cool:

I do actually have some good replacments for the explosions and if the sound guy wants them I will send them to him for the next patch.

Upvote 0
I've got to say I was impressed with the sounds of this game. I've fired quite a few firearms during my life and heard a few explotions. Comparing to what I've heard im quite satisfied with the sounds. I like especially the sounds of an arty strike (just wondering in some maps why our arty is firing from the direction the enemy is coming :rolleyes:). It sounds quite like the real deal but from a distance.

I've heard and seen arty and mortars firing and hitting targets. The arty strike in the game compares relatively close to 6-9 barrels of 120 mm mortars hitting a target, at least that's what it looks like. Realistic enough for me.

I guess that the terrain has some effect how an explosion sounds like. Also the caliber of the guns plays a role, though I had hard time telling if it's a 155 a 122 mm round going off. A 81 mm mortar round sounds definetly different though. All the explosions I've heard took place where they were surrounded by woods. So I don't know how they would sound on a wast open place like a plain. Definetly no lowpitched boom sounds, when trotyle was blown. Not with other materials either (plastic, dynamite).

I can't recall who wrote about hearing artillery rounds flying in the air. It's a sound easy to remember and recognice. It kind of resembles the sound of a train passing by, but without that "clang-clang" sound of rails. That kind of "incoming" sound would great in the game. Mortar shells have different sound than that of guns, more of a whistling one. I guess it has to do with the trajectory.

What I truly like i the sound (and feel) of the mg42. It sounds quite like a modern mg and the way it behaves while fired, is close to the real deal. The last time I actually fired a real mg was back in last October.

And btw, this may be off-topic, but the tracers can be seen in broad daylight, especially the ricochets. You can't see them actually really good until they hit the target, but the main reason is that you are looking at the sights of the gun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The arty impact sounds need replacing BADLY! There is one arty impact sound that is really good but the bulk of them are not at all sharp whatsoever. They just sound really weak and floppy with no real definition to them.

Arty strikes are so common in ROOST that they should be given a better impact sound... the boom sound I ripped from the matador film would make a sweet arty sound, dont you think? Obviously you'll need to edit it to get rid of unwanted ambience and all.

Anyway heres what I could come up with...

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=77550

I've put a tank explosion sound in there which I think is ALOT bette. Also a G43 replacment and a explosion sound on a water surface.

arty impact.wav: taken from the matador film and the other 3 are from various day of defeat custom soundpacks.

Upvote 0
d4v said:
The arty impact sounds need replacing BADLY! There is one arty impact sound that is really good but the bulk of them are not at all sharp whatsoever. They just sound really weak and floppy with no real definition to them.

Arty strikes are so common in ROOST that they should be given a better impact sound... the boom sound I ripped from the matador film would make a sweet arty sound, dont you think? Obviously you'll need to edit it to get rid of unwanted ambience and all.

Anyway heres what I could come up with...

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=77550

I've put a tank explosion sound in there which I think is ALOT bette. Also a G43 replacment and a explosion sound on a water surface.

arty impact.wav: taken from the matador film and the other 3 are from various day of defeat custom soundpacks.

Errhm, that simply sounded like ****!

Upvote 0
Bull***** ,they sound excellent. There is nothing wrong with them at all.

The arty impact is 10x more realistic and better sounding than the ones in ROOST. The tank explosion sound actually sounds like something big and heavy, i.e a TANK, is exploding, unlike the weak, undefined one in ROOST.

The G43 is totally up to debate, though but calling the aformentioned sounds "rubbish" makes you look like a clueless idiot. What the hell are you playing at -=anders=-? You can say its "just my opinion" but I say thats bull****. How can you preference something that clearly sounds worse than something else?

xancerman, what do u think of them?

Xancerman said:
the handgrenade sounds in Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is completely 100% made by me, originating from explosions i have recorded myself.
How do you record explosion, though?

I hope you dident record it from a distance becuase it can be done right up close by placing the mic on one side of a solid object, like a heavy large boulder and then detonating the explosive on the other side of the object.

That way you get a proper recording. Is that how you did it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0