• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bring in the Panzerschrek

noshens
I'd rather trust wikipedia than most of the posters on these boards who are making claims without anything to back them up.
What I meant was that not only is the information on wikipedia in question (due to the fact that all info is submitted by users), but now they have to deal with malicious people. Who change and delete all kinds of things from any entry they feel like. Info on these boards may be inaccurate from time to time (if it is the poster usually gets called out :p) but at least we don't have bunch of jerks that have the ability to edit anybodies posts.

Upvote 0
Here's my idea:

First of all, drop the Fausts from the "Pak-soldat" class and just allow people to pick them up at the ammo dumps. Fausts weren't issued to a specific type of soldier. They were issued as needed, like grenades.

Now, add the PanzerSHREK to the "Pak-soldat" class for the 1943 maps and later. Add the German Anti-tank Rifle (forget the name) for the earlier maps.

How will the panzershrek work? Player spawns with Panzershrek tube and 3 rockets. He can fire these himself, but the reload time is EXTREMELY long (lets say 30 seconds), during which time the player must be crouched or prone.

Another player may load the panzershrek tube simply by walking up to the player and hitting the RESUPPLY AMMO button, which would very quickly (or given game limitations, instantly) load a rocket into the tube.

I don't think it's necessary to create a special "loader" class. Everyone in the game is running around with spare MG bullets and nobody seems to mind. It's appropriate to allow everyone to run around with rockets instead, IMHO.

The Panzershrek is needed in game because:

1. It existed historically and should be available.
2. It has better range than the panzerfausts.

Upvote 0
Rameusb5 said:
Here's my idea:

First of all, drop the Fausts from the "Pak-soldat" class and just allow people to pick them up at the ammo dumps. Fausts weren't issued to a specific type of soldier. They were issued as needed, like grenades.

I agree

Now, add the PanzerSHREK to the "Pak-soldat" class for the 1943 maps and later. Add the German Anti-tank Rifle (forget the name) for the earlier maps.

A first very unreliable Panzerschreck without front shield was delivered to the front by the end of 1943. During 1944 were issued two other models, 54 and 54/1 (last one on duty in 1945). It seems (according to reports) it was a quite fragile and thus unreliable weapon, but nevertheless powerful (as long as it worked). Also the rockets (RPzBGr 4322 and 4992) were reported as unreliable (about 15% dismissed) and provided with too sensitive fuse.

The Rifle you mean is probably the PzB 39, which was later (1942) converted in a nade-launcher (GrB 39) as it was no issue against allies armour.

Other Rifles like the PzB 783 and 784 are nothing else than captured soviet PTRD-40 and PTRS-41.

The Panzershrek is needed in game because:

1. It existed historically and should be available.
2. It has better range than the panzerfausts.

Well... a lot of weapons existed historically and were better than others. :D

But you're right, in case of the Panzerschreck related to the eastfront, it should be there, but limited to 1 (just like the MGs), and better if respecting the weakness reported by the front units.

Upvote 0
Okay, what about this:
- One Panzershrek per team (class equipment: panzershreck, 5x AT rocket, pistol / bolt-action rifle)
- When in the iron sights mode with the pzshreck, your sensitivity is lowered slightly to simulate the weight in comparison to a panzerfaust
- Re-loading the panzershreck is possible even on your own, but extremely slow (slow as in 5 or more seconds slow compared to less than 2 secs on current panzerfausts)
- ANYONE can assist the panzershreck class to re-load, no specific classes required. This will still take away rockets from the pzshreck guy, realisticly speaking your regular soldier didn't carry those around.

That said, maybe we could also allow machinegunners and maybe even snipers to be assisted on the same basis. EG. a machinegun assister would improve accuracy and reduce reload times.

Upvote 0
Centar
Okay, what about this:
- One Panzershrek per team (class equipment: panzershreck, 5x AT rocket, pistol / bolt-action rifle)
- When in the iron sights mode with the pzshreck, your sensitivity is lowered slightly to simulate the weight in comparison to a panzerfaust
- Re-loading the panzershreck is possible even on your own, but extremely slow (slow as in 5 or more seconds slow compared to less than 2 secs on current panzerfausts)
- ANYONE can assist the panzershreck class to re-load, no specific classes required. This will still take away rockets from the pzshreck guy, realisticly speaking your regular soldier didn't carry those around.

That said, maybe we could also allow machinegunners and maybe even snipers to be assisted on the same basis. EG. a machinegun assister would improve accuracy and reduce reload times.
1. So your saying they should be able to pick whether they want pistol or a rifle?
2. Useless, DoD has the same thing, but we live in a age where you can get a mouse that has buttons specifically designed to adjust sensitivity ingame (like mine, a MX518).
3. Sounds good to me.
4. I like it, the reg infantry can help but they all don't have rockets.
5. Interesting, of course I don't know how it would work for snipers, but anybody can assist a mg. Me likey.

Upvote 0
Carazor said:
Was the "Panzerschreck" even used after intially confrontations against Russian armour? A week or two ago, everyone was saying that it was too unreliable and most of the time couldn't penetrate armour.

As far as I've found on the net or in books:

Yes, it was used, and it was capable to penetrate at least 60 mm armour by 60 degree slope on a 100 m or 180 m range, depending on the rocket used (4322 or 4992). The problems: fragile mechanism, too sensitive fuse (could explode when flying through high grass or bushes). About 2 man crew, it would only affect reload time, it's a 1 man weapon.

Markov said:
Would not be realistic without a two-man crew, and I don't believe they were as common on the Eastern Front as the were on the Western Front.

Again, as far as I've read: It was mainly used in the eastern front, but hundreds of them gone lost during the big retreats (iow:while they fled:D ) in summer/fall '44, to the point that the SS-weapon centre was trying to produce one with pressed cardboard :)eek: :eek: ) to lower prod. costs (or most probably only because they had nothing else to build with :D )

Upvote 0
Koehler said:
wow nice job ok here we go lets put the panzershreck in ro lol.so germans get panzershrecks and panzerfausts and russians can keep their anti-tank rifle lol its fair
War isn't fair. I understand this is a game but people talk about the most realistic wwII sim but then say "nope can have that because it isn't fair I do agree if the Panzerschreck was added then the russians should get molotovs and whatever else was used

Upvote 0