• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Baksan Valley = Worst map? (merged)

Was the G43 on the Mod version? I seem to remember sniping at the Church with a semi when capping the Ruin at the start of the game.

Or maybe some server during the mod days had changed the weapons and included it?

I thought StalingradKessel was the only infantry map where the Russians got the semi and the Germans did not.

At any rate, I think Baskin is one of those maps that is so tense and touch and go that both sides always feel like they are barely hanging on by their teeth close to losing at any second and forget the other side feels that way too. Not unlike playing chess.

Or for that matter not unlike how officers usually feel in real wartime, exagerating threats and certain the overestimated enemy is about to come from every nook and cranny.

Upvote 0
I think the Ostfront version takes place in an earlier timeframe than the mod version, which I recall having both G43s and Stg44s available. I like this map and have enjoyed playing it from both sides. To echo what some others have said, I think if either side has an advantage it's the Germans. The ruins are closer to the German spawn and easier to capture and hold than the church is for the Russians, and the final objective may also be easier to capture for the Germans. I do like the SVT40 and agree that it's an excellent weapon but I don't see it creating an imbalance. In my experience, again playing both sides, it seems that the Germans win this map much more often than the Russians.

Upvote 0
Bat Guano said:
I think the Ostfront version takes place in an earlier timeframe than the mod version, which I recall having both G43s and Stg44s available. I like this map and have enjoyed playing it from both sides. To echo what some others have said, I think if either side has an advantage it's the Germans. The ruins are closer to the German spawn and easier to capture and hold than the church is for the Russians, and the final objective may also be easier to capture for the Germans. I do like the SVT40 and agree that it's an excellent weapon but I don't see it creating an imbalance. In my experience, again playing both sides, it seems that the Germans win this map much more often than the Russians.

My reason for my last post was just as Bat **** has said here. There is ups and downs for all the maps, for both sides, you need to learn the strentghts and weaknesses and utilize them.

Upvote 0
Baksan Valley

Baksan Valley

This map ROCKS. I played it for the first time tonight. Two rounds on the TeamHAF server. The map itself is great for RO, with lots of cover to duck and run from. Lots of little walls to rest your weapon on too.

The first round we rushed the church and BAM 6 of us got killed by arty right from the start. But we kept at it and soon enough had the church. Then the ruins fell, but the boat house was pretty hard to take. But take it we did. What a great game. I like how this game doesn't make me instantly think of my own kill/death ratio...only how the game turned out.

BUT...I am getting better at this game. During the second round, I cleared out the ruins by myself. 3 kills. The first was a hip-shot with my Kar from close range. Then I turned the corner into the ruin and two Russians were standing there. I hip shot the first and thought I was done...but the next guy didn't hear what happened and kept shooting out the window. So I lined him up nice and proper. But alas...we ran out of reinforcements and with 4 minutes to go I cut out. We may not have secured the boat house that game. Oh well...maybe somebody who was there sees this and rounds out the picture some more.

WOW what a game. thank you thank you thank you.

Upvote 0
Demogorgon said:
well we were blessed just now by a visit from ramm-jaeger in baksan valley, so take that baksan haters.....

oh and we'd just ran out of our russian reinforcements, but we still won the map. of course Ramm was axis so we had the advantage :D

yeah I was just in that game...I cut out when I couldn't spawn again. Those were two of the best rounds I've ever been in....and for my first time in Baksan all I can say is WOW what a KILLER map.

Upvote 0
I was in on that one last night on the HAF server too and it was about as close a match as you're going to get. Well played all around. As I recall the Germans won the first round by holding firm at the church and causing heavy casualties among the Soviets who tried to take it, eventually eliminating all the Red reinforcements. Second round, the Reds learned their lesson and defended the church well, basically turning the situation around and eliminating the German reinforcements and taking the old mill. Both these rounds were hard fought and lasted nearly until time ran out but the Germans pretty much had an advantaged throughout the first round, and the momentum was with the Soviets in the second.

The third and deciding round was very close and savagely fought with the church and the ruins changing hands numerous times. It went right down to the wire with the Soviets running out of reinforcements with a couple of minutes left and the Germans at 2 percent. The Reds put up a heck of a close in defense at the bridgehouse, with three of them holing up in the upper floor, and depleting the German reinforcements before the Germans finally won with seconds to go.

I played this one from both sides, starting out on the Soviet side and switching over to the Germans to keep the teams balanced for the final round, as some German players left when reinforcements ran out in the second. I can say there were some excellent players on both sides and it was never a cakewalk.

Upvote 0
Baksan Valley is my favorite map. Change nothing about it. I am kind of tired of hearing people say, "This map is SO unbalanced! Germans don't get an auto rifle!" Guess what, during the ACTUAL war if the germans got up and said, "Hold it! We don't have auto rifles, either make the devs give them to us or you can't use them either!" They got shot. By their allies. In the back. And were left to die. In the rain. Alone.

Upvote 0
Valac said:
you can shoot long range on that map, and their other strengths are how fast the get to objectives and the seemingly more cover they have.

If anything, I would say Baksan favors the Germans.
Very true. Germans get to the ruin first and cap it first and if they divide their forces then the 8 that go to church will get there about 3 seconds after the russians do.

Upvote 0