• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

EMBRACER ACQUIRES TRIPWIRE INTERACTIVE

NorthDumpling

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2013

So it seems like Embracer Group now owns Tripwire Interactive and Tripwire Presents with all its IPs which makes the studio operate as a subsidiary under the Saber Interactive operative group.
And these news to worry me a lot as this deal now generates tonns of questions.
What will happen to Killing Floor 2 and Rising Storm 2 support? Workshop is still broken and is nowhere near to be fixed alongside game breaking bugs such as voice chat in Rising Storm 2.
What will happen to IPs such as Red Orchestra and Rising Storm in particular?
What does this deal mean for the modders of the games?
What does this mean for the official support of total conversion mods for Rising Storm 2?

Would be lovely to know the answers to these questions especially regarding current broken state of both games and what will Embracer do to ensure these titles are safe to be played and enjoyed by many for years to come.

Nothing good will happen. Customers almost never win from the market consolidation. Customers win only when the market is filled with a high number of independent actors competing for their customer by trying to make their products better. Any consolidation gets in the way of this process and puts the product quality and meeting the customer demand on the back seat.

I can't recall a single product that became better after a producing company gets acquired by an investment group. The "sellout" word exists for a reason. Good for Gibson, Wilson and Munk though, nice retirement prospects.

Often investment groups say something like "we value what brought success to the company we are acquiring so it's going to be business as usual for them and have no plans to interfere in the product design process", but it's almost never true. Money talks and the way the company operates is going to change.

But I'm not upset about it as much, as they already managed to casualize and fortnitize KF2 to a point where a vanilla game is barely playable. It's been going downhill even before the Saber took over its maintenance, now it's going to go downhill at a higher speed. I'm not looking forward to KF3 either, pretty sure the product will be disappointing to put it mildly.

Pretty hilarious that John Gibson got a mention as someone pursuing opportunities outside of TWI.

Let's see how long does it take them to remove comments.

Reactions: s5yn3t
Upvote 0

So it seems like Embracer Group now owns Tripwire Interactive and Tripwire Presents with all its IPs which makes the studio operate as a subsidiary under the Saber Interactive operative group.
And these news to worry me a lot as this deal now generates tonns of questions.
What will happen to Killing Floor 2 and Rising Storm 2 support? Workshop is still broken and is nowhere near to be fixed alongside game breaking bugs such as voice chat in Rising Storm 2.
What will happen to IPs such as Red Orchestra and Rising Storm in particular?
What does this deal mean for the modders of the games?
What does this mean for the official support of total conversion mods for Rising Storm 2?

Would be lovely to know the answers to these questions especially regarding current broken state of both games and what will Embracer do to ensure these titles are safe to be played and enjoyed by many for years to come.
As of this time nothing is changing.

We are excited to join the Embracer family and we are still working out the fine details on what this means for our titles moving ahead. As always keep an eye on the News and Announcements for the latest official information from us.

Upvote 0
As of this time nothing is changing.

We are excited to join the Embracer family and we are still working out the fine details on what this means for our titles moving ahead. As always keep an eye on the News and Announcements for the latest official information from us.

Joining Embracer family will not make you benefit from it until you actually fix both titles, especially workshop issues for both games. We dont need to hear about games not generating enough revenues etc. to justify time and money put into it.
Its been so long, you cant be serious about the fact that you cant just take a skeleton crew of these titles with some sort of payroll to fix game breaking issues.
Just because games break doesn't exactly mean you can go on with the company future without taking care of previous issues, otherwise nobody will take you seriously any more. Please think about carefully and let the games function as it was intended instead of just letting them break while making yet another shark game.

Reactions: helvis
Upvote 0
If you are going to throw tough words while being such a baby, then I suggest you find different forum for discussion.
We joined the forum at nearly the same time and I got twice your amount of messages. If I didn't fit, I'd be long gone.

This being said, I'm not saying it's good news either. Just that from the moment THQ revived like a phenix, it became buying anything it could frenetically, for little results. It's as if they wanted to secure as many IPs as possible, "just in case", but wouldn't take the risk to commit to them. So I'm not exactly expecting them to suddenly kickstart Killing Floor 3.

I'm also fairly on the side of @o2xVc3UuXp0NyBihrUnu in that matter. If very big editors used to have a large catalog that allowed them to produce many games and big ones at that. Nowadays it usually means they'll cut corners and let franchises to rot if they don't make ludicrous profits. I can't say I'm excited about that. Hell, Tripwire's reputation as people who craft games with immaculate "gun-feel" is now gone too. Should have been seen as a bad omen.

Upvote 0