• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New patch doesn't fix loading times...

I've said it before, I'll say it again. It's Steam. It did it on HL mods, it's done it to RO. Nothing changes with the game, only the Steam compatibility. On HL and Source games, you get a loading bar which while not accurate in it's percentage, IS accurate in telling you what it's doing. What does it spend all its time on? Security modules, Steam files, etc. When it finally gets to the map loading it's blindingly fast. Some PC's just take forever to load the security modules etc through Steam. My PC is one of them and until Valve, not Tripwire, fix it, then load times will stay lengthy.

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
Agreed. Basically with STEAM the game content is all encrypted in one large file that has it's own folder structure. It isn't rocket science to understand that opening, decrypting and caching game files from a single storage file bigger than 1.5 GB is gonna cost a lot of RAM and processing power on any PC.
Listen up. I think it depends on each pc configuration really...with an old p4 2.4 with 2x512 mb of really cheap RAM i was still loading in 40 seconds with all the settings to default and no fancy tweaks in the .ini file...

My problem is I get shitty FPS in-game but that's another story...

Upvote 0
But the thing is, there isn't any "magic" configuration that seems to work better or worser.

My system is good, fairly new (December), only the minimum of software and games installed, no bloated registry, nothing. But at load times exceding 60 seconds, it's no fun to join a server just to find out you're the last dude to pick team and weapon, left with what the others didn't want.

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
I wish people would use their PCs more carefully. I'm very careful with mine; scanning every download, deleting unnesessary stuff, use a firewall, prevent spyware, do scans on a regular basis, only hit the reset button when absolutely nesessary, etc. My PC is about two years old (almost three?) and has one gig of memory, and the RO maps load in about 40-50 seconds. Very acceptable I'd say.

I can't help but laugh at people who totally noob out on their PC, and still complain about long loading times.

yep, you said it. lack of carefullness, and a lack of patience.

Upvote 0
just a hunch here, could some of you guys with long loading times try to start RO:O with as few other processes running as you can.
just hit ctrl+alt+del and close as many as windows will allow (including virus scanners, and if you have a router or other protection, then the firewall aswell)
(btw, you do that at your own risk, if your not confertable doing this then by all means don't, but if you know what your doing and closing its perfectly safe)

if what psycho chicken sayed is correct, that the long loading times are actualy steam loading security modules then having fewer processes running for it to check could help.
another reason why it could help is that some particular virus scanners are trying to scan everything steam dus, to which steam reponds to by checking everything the virus scanner dus.

it would explain why people with simular system configurations can have such differences in loading times.

and if this helps, then we can maybe try and narrow down which program(s)/process(es) is the cause of the slowdowns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im no expert by any means, but I just know that source games load much faster than RO for me. Less than aminute for sure but never timed for for CS Source. It takes me up to 2 minutes to load a RO map which isnt bad considering I only have 2 DIMMs of 256. I'll be upgrading to 1 DIMM of 1 gig so i can upgrade in the future if i want to 2 gigs.(Only two slots, vaio notebook) Now considering I only have 512 mgb of RAM and I can still load reasonably, 2 minutes, I think another problem has to do with the quality of RAM. If your bus speed is 133, that RAM is crap and it doesnt matter if you have 60 gigs of it it still writes slow. Once you have enough RAM what makes it better is speed. I also looked at memory usage on my computer, it needed more than about 800 mgb at its peak during loading, the other 300 came from virtual memroy, slow but at least my comp doesnt lock up.(Keep in mind not all memory was from red orchestra, i dont feel like closing all my virus protection stuff, it runs jsut fine with it on) So when people post their information post the speed of your RAM too.

Oh and is there a memory leak, Ive never played long enough to notice?

Upvote 0
noshens said:
no, not that one. the one that is bothering me is that after a map is played the game doesn't fully unload resources used by that map before loading a new one so memory consumption and thus loading time increases after each map load.

There was only one memory leak, and that is the one you mention which IS the memory leak fixed by the Beta patch (which is soon to be official).

Upvote 0